Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 06:49 PM   #41
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I had the same experience in my tow vehicle and it's limits. Wondering if I could get away with a minimal expense and buy something that should be big enough. I finally decided to solve all of those problems with one truck purchase. I bought a used 2012 Freightliner 112 2L conversion (similar to a sportchassis) that has 450 HP, 1650 foot pounds of torque, a hitch weight capacity of 14,000 and love it every time well pull the 15,000 pound rv anywhere. You should consider getting out the way of thinking of Fords, or Chevys or Dodges. All of those are limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I appreciate your thoughts but....how does it fit in the garage?
I agree with Danny and Jasin and his post about parking garages! Our TV is our only vehicle, I can go through most drive throughs, and most parking garages. While the sport chassis will fit in a parking space, not likely in a parking garage. Our 2016 Ram with 5,411# payload sticker, and 4,000# ready to tow, I would be more than fine with a 15,000# 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-25-2023, 03:21 AM   #42
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Garage Parking

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts but....how does it fit in the garage?
As far as parking a Frieghtliner in a garage, depends on the size of the garage. True enough, most normal size/height residential garages are too small for a larger truck and many times even a 1 ton truck is too long but not everyone parks their truck in a garage or a parking garage. The OP did not mention parking in a garage.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Old 03-25-2023, 07:27 AM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
As far as parking a Frieghtliner in a garage, depends on the size of the garage. True enough, most normal size/height residential garages are too small for a larger truck and many times even a 1 ton truck is too long but not everyone parks their truck in a garage or a parking garage. The OP did not mention parking in a garage.

I understand. In your original post you said that the Fords, Chevys and Dodges were "limited"...and they are in some respects as compared to the Freightliner. On the other hand the Freightliner comes with its own limitations which is what I was pointing out. When you get to the realm of larger tow trucks there are all kinds of limitations in one respect or another with the different sizes.

As far as garages, personal or commercial parking garages, I need something that fits into my personal one for sure. I won't leave any vehicle outside these days. In addition my home is built in a pecan orchard. I had never spent time with a pecan tree in summer and thought that they (and the accompanying nuts) were just really nice. That was a wrong assumption. I have never seen the amount of sticky, gooey sap (droplets) that these things put out. Left to sit it becomes like hardened epoxy plus everything turns black. So for me the garage is mandatory....and I built the house before I decided I want trucks bigger than a 1/2 ton.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:56 AM   #44
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Parking a Larger Truck

Quote:
I understand. In your original post you said that the Fords, Chevys and Dodges were "limited"...and they are in some respects as compared to the Freightliner. On the other hand the Freightliner comes with its own limitations which is what I was pointing out. When you get to the realm of larger tow trucks there are all kinds of limitations in one respect or another with the different sizes.

As far as garages, personal or commercial parking garages, I need something that fits into my personal one for sure. I won't leave any vehicle outside these days. In addition my home is built in a pecan orchard. I had never spent time with a pecan tree in summer and thought that they (and the accompanying nuts) were just really nice. That was a wrong assumption. I have never seen the amount of sticky, gooey sap (droplets) that these things put out. Left to sit it becomes like hardened epoxy plus everything turns black. So for me the garage is mandatory....and I built the house before I decided I want trucks bigger than a 1/2 ton.
Each truck owner has his/her own specific needs regarding trucks. I park my whole rig, truck and RV still connected, inside one of my shops so parking it at home long term is not a concern for me. A lot of people park their RV and TV outside long term. Totally get that my comments do not fit each and every RV and truck owner in existence. To each his own.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Old 03-25-2023, 03:49 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking "logically" at the OP's situation, he is about 2000 miles from home, in the middle of an extended RV towing trip and just realized that his tow vehicle is not adequate for his needs.

OK, now if he were to "consider a Freightliner" the GCWR is going to be greater than 26,000 pounds so he'll likely need a CDL to legally operate it. Now, consider that his driver's license is currently from his home state of Florida, he is currently in Arizona.

If he were to "opt for a Freightliner", how would he "legally tow his trailer on the rest of his planned trip"??? Without a CDL, he'd likely be in a "tighter pinch if anything happened than he would just completing his trip with his overloaded F250....

Sometimes it's not just as simple as, "Heck just do what I did".... Reasonable solutions aren't always as easy for one person as they might seem to someone else.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-25-2023, 09:20 PM   #46
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looking "logically" at the OP's situation, he is about 2000 miles from home, in the middle of an extended RV towing trip and just realized that his tow vehicle is not adequate for his needs.

OK, now if he were to "consider a Freightliner" the GCWR is going to be greater than 26,000 pounds so he'll likely need a CDL to legally operate it. Now, consider that his driver's license is currently from his home state of Florida, he is currently in Arizona.

If he were to "opt for a Freightliner", how would he "legally tow his trailer on the rest of his planned trip"??? Without a CDL, he'd likely be in a "tighter pinch if anything happened than he would just completing his trip with his overloaded F250....

Sometimes it's not just as simple as, "Heck just do what I did".... Reasonable solutions aren't always as easy for one person as they might seem to someone else.... YMMV
Does Florida require an endorsement to operate an RV over 26,000#? I live in Oregon no endorsement required.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-26-2023, 03:28 AM   #47
notanlines

Most states have a distinct difference between commercial and recreational. M2 is commercial and Newmar is recreational.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-26-2023, 06:16 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Does Florida require an endorsement to operate an RV over 26,000#? I live in Oregon no endorsement required.
I'm no lawyer, but this is what I found on the St Luci county "government website":

Commercial Vehicles
Note: Commercial trucks weighing over 26,000lbs cannot be processed online.

According to Florida Statute 320.01(26), a 'commercial motor vehicle’ is a vehicle not owned by the government, with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 26,001 lbs. or more, or has three or more axles regardless of weight, or is used in combination (vehicle plus trailer) when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,001 pounds gross vehicle weight.

For further information on commercial motor vehicles, see DMV Procedure RS-45 on the DHSMV website.

Commercial Driver License Requirement
If you operate a vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), declared weight, or actual weight (whichever is greatest) of 26,001 pounds or more, transport hazardous materials, or carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver), you will need a CDL (Commercial Driver License) and all applicable endorsements. For additional information on CDL licenses and endorsements, visit the Division of Driver License information page. For more information on residential address requirements for CDL and CLP, click here.

All this "being considered", there MIGHT be some workaround available to exclude a privately owned "commercial truck" that would allow the OP to avoid the CDL requirement. My comments were not to be "official notice of a CDL requirement" but rather to bring to his attention that buying a Freightliner in Arizona and then "hopping in it like a proud new owner" might bring some legal and logistical considerations into the purchase that he might want to research before buying a Freightliner that he can't legally drive because of the restrictions on his Florida driver's license.

Heck, for all I know, he has a CDL and it's a moot point... But, what if he doesn't and there's a "law on the books preventing him from driving it without a CDL" ???? Better to KNOW FIRST, eh ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-12-2023, 07:47 AM   #49
JShort880

Always loving the insight and knowledge!

Everyone,

Since I originally created this post a bunch of life has happened! Honestly, this road bump sucks a bit. Love my current truck, current payment, and hindsight 20/20 everything could of been avoided if I pumped the breaks a couple seconds and utilized sources like this forum to spot check my decisions. Probably would of just ended up getting a older C-Class and towing around my paid off SUV!

Luckily, this is all financially okay in our situation. Just sucks to burn cash .

Below is what I'm headed to look at Monday. From the beginning, we planned on keeping the combo long term so I don't see a reason not to get something nice that will last.

1) https://www.liftedtrucks.com/used/Fo...4c5fd9e220.htm

Feel free to counter with any thoughts or trucks you might have seen. End of the day, I need something to tow my rig safely and this gets the job done!?

Thanks friends.
2021 Ford F450
Old 05-12-2023, 08:10 AM   #50
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShort880 View Post
Everyone,

Since I originally created this post a bunch of life has happened! Honestly, this road bump sucks a bit. Love my current truck, current payment, and hindsight 20/20 everything could of been avoided if I pumped the breaks a couple seconds and utilized sources like this forum to spot check my decisions. Probably would of just ended up getting a older C-Class and towing around my paid off SUV!

Luckily, this is all financially okay in our situation. Just sucks to burn cash .

Below is what I'm headed to look at Monday. From the beginning, we planned on keeping the combo long term so I don't see a reason not to get something nice that will last.

Feel free to counter with any thoughts or trucks you might have seen. End of the day, I need something to tow my rig safely and this gets the job done!?

Thanks friends.
That is really a great looking truck with all the gee-gaws anyone could want. Good find!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 05-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
That is really a great looking truck with all the gee-gaws anyone could want. Good find!
And that diesel, at almost 26000 miles is "almost broke in"... Great looking truck with more than enough payload, plus it has the Ford "puck system" so it's ready for a easy to remove hitch so you can have a "clean bed with no rails to contend with"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-12-2023, 08:41 AM   #52
travelin texans

Quote:
Everyone,

Thanks friends.
My only concern would be it says it's "lifted"! The newer trucks seem to be taller &/or deeper beds, especially Ford trucks. This is not a jab at Ford trucks just stating what has been already mentioned by some Ford owners. It may be difficult to get sufficient bed rail clearance & level towing depending on how much it's lifted. Just my .02!
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-12-2023, 08:46 AM   #53
Blueswede

You can't go wrong with a 450. The turning radius alone is great.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #54
sourdough
Site Team

That looks like a great truck! I have 2 thoughts that might be of relevance; as was mentioned a "lift", what does that mean? It has the FX4 package which is an "off road" package that also includes a modifies suspension/shocks. What exactly does that mean as far as height? I've not been able to find out exactly. A suspension tuned for "off roading" is usually sprung differently and the shocks are softer with more travel. I would do some research on that. With a 450 and dually I doubt the springing/shocks will make a lot of difference but the height could present some problems with the trailer in tow.

The other thing in the back of my mind is the Sync 3 system. It has some anomalies as I recall so might want to look into that. I had a new Ford Explorer that I kept for 9 mos. because I didn't like it for reasons other than the Sync 3 but IIRC it did have some quirks but I can't recall the details.

At the end of the day if the height isn't a show stopper that looks like a heck of a truck.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #55
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
I'm no lawyer, but this is what I found on the St Luci county "government website":

Commercial Vehicles

According to Florida Statute 320.01(26), a 'commercial motor vehicle’ is a vehicle not owned by the government, with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 26,001 lbs. or more, or has three or more axles regardless of weight, or is used in combination (vehicle plus trailer) when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,001 pounds gross vehicle weight.

For further information on commercial motor vehicles, see DMV Procedure RS-45 on the DHSMV website.

If you operate a vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), declared weight, or actual weight (whichever is greatest) of 26,001 pounds or more, transport hazardous materials, or carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver), you will need a CDL (Commercial Driver License) and all applicable endorsements. For additional information on CDL licenses and endorsements, visit the Division of Driver License information page. For more information on residential address requirements for CDL and CLP, click here.

All this "being considered", there MIGHT be some workaround available to exclude a privately owned "commercial truck" that would allow the OP to avoid the CDL requirement. My comments were not to be "official notice of a CDL requirement" but rather to bring to his attention that buying a Freightliner in Arizona and then "hopping in it like a proud new owner" might bring some legal and logistical considerations into the purchase that he might want to research before buying a Freightliner that he can't legally drive because of the restrictions on his Florida driver's license.

Heck, for all I know, he has a CDL and it's a moot point... But, what if he doesn't and there's a "law on the books preventing him from driving it without a CDL" ???? Better to KNOW FIRST, eh ?????
I know a couple F450 owners and couldn't be happier with them. My brother has one and its the older version and he still spins the wheel on it and turns on a dime (best is class). That one you're showing is fairly low miles too.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #56
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
I know a couple F450 owners and couldn't be happier with them. My brother has one and its the older version and he still spins the wheel on it and turns on a dime (best is class). That one you're showing is fairly low miles too.
We have no intention of selling the combo. So as much as it hurts to restart a load this just seems like a perfect fit/option. Everyone I've talked to has sworn by the 450's and even though it's not a priority compared to other brands it's the best looking (IMO).
2021 Ford F450
Old 05-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #57
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
We have no intention of selling the combo. So as much as it hurts to restart a load this just seems like a perfect fit/option. Everyone I've talked to has sworn by the 450's and even though it's not a priority compared to other brands it's the best looking (IMO).
My last 6 vehicles (4 were trucks / still have 3) have been purchased new, and the buying price increased every time, and I know that the 1 ton would be my next logical choice, a F450 to be more specific. My F250 is 3 years old / 16K miles, so it's a long way for my next purchase, but you'll be the envy of your neighborhood as long as you don't get buyers remorse at a $80K truck. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #58
wiredgeorge

Quote:
That looks like a great truck! I have 2 thoughts that might be of relevance; as was mentioned a "lift", what does that mean? It has the FX4 package which is an "off road" package that also includes a modifies suspension/shocks. What exactly does that mean as far as height? I've not been able to find out exactly. A suspension tuned for "off roading" is usually sprung differently and the shocks are softer with more travel. I would do some research on that. With a 450 and dually I doubt the springing/shocks will make a lot of difference but the height could present some problems with the trailer in tow.

The other thing in the back of my mind is the Sync 3 system. It has some anomalies as I recall so might want to look into that. I had a new Ford Explorer that I kept for 9 mos. because I didn't like it for reasons other than the Sync 3 but IIRC it did have some quirks but I can't recall the details.

At the end of the day if the height isn't a show stopper that looks like a heck of a truck.
I have an F350 with the FX4 package. Mine is 4WD and I don't think it is lifted. Looks to be normal height and same springs although I can't speak to what shocks were on it when new. It now has Monroe shocks. I think the site name may be a little misleading. Don't think that FX4 equipped truck is any higher than the 2WD but of course, it would be hard to swear to it without having both side by side. First thing that needs to be installed are some fuzzy dice but otherwise should be a fine RV puller.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 05-12-2023, 11:52 AM   #59
jasin1

Quote:
Everyone,

Thanks friends.

looks pretty close to the height of other 450s…could be a leveling lit for the front which is just a spring spacer cup to make the truck look level with no rake towards the front.

I would take the vin and pay for your own carfax report..check for any service,damage or open recalls…the truck should have the remaining 3 year 36 thousand bumper to bumper and the remaining 5 year 100 k i believe powertrain warranty…the carfax will show you the in service date or date sold and the clock is ticking after that…take it to a real Ford dealer for any warranty’s and forget the place you purchased it from as their warranty will probably only be 30 days and they will be taking it to ford anyway
Old 05-12-2023, 03:37 PM   #60
Badbart56

Quote:

Commercial Vehicles

FMCSA

Drivers
Overview
Drivers have been required to have a commercial driver's license (CDL) in order to drive certain commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) since April 1, 1992. The types of vehicles and operations requiring a CDL are outlined below. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has developed and issued standards for State testing and licensing of CDL holders. These standards require States to issue CDLs to certain CMV drivers only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests administered by the State and related to the type of vehicle the driver expects to operate. Drivers are required to obtain and hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce and drive a vehicle that meets one or more of the classifications of a CMV described below. Restrictions are placed on a CDL when a driver takes the skills test in a vehicle which lacks critical equipment present in particular types of CMVs. Examples of these restrictions are listed below. Therefore, to avoid restrictions, drivers should take the skills test in the same type of vehicle for which they are seeking a CDL to operate.

FMCSA is the ruling entity that has the last word here. While some states have made modifications to their individual state's licensing, those rules don't apply to another state license holder and the key word here is the vehicle being used commercially. I believe California requires a CDL for certain RV's but that has no bearing on someone licensed in one of the other states to operate a motorhome or other non commercial vehicle there.

Insurance companies may hold a different opinion however. That's a battle for another day.

From: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registrati...icense/drivers

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade