Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #21
Laredo Tugger

OK,
The following personnel will line up and receive new user names:
The author of Post #16 -Convert One
The author of Post #17-Convert Two
The author of Post #18-Convert Three
This author -Convert Four
Alright that's not gonna work, I get it. I will add ironically the author of Post #15 is the one who wrote "THE" reply that got my attention and got me to the scales. The rest is history, as they say.
So back to the problem and how to approach it. Require documentation (trucks yellow sticker, scale tickets, proof of purchase of hitch type ect....) prior to becoming a member of this forum? Like passing some guarded checkpoint on a cold night in Russia new members "must produce documents" in order to proceed ?
And if you are successful in creating dialogue with those that will listen, you have to use caution in presentation as not to offend and have them throwing their toys back in the sandbox and run away angry. One guy the other day just posted "I'm done", don't want to hear it anymore. Goodbye.
Some (see Converts above) return, listen, ask questions and adjust their assets accordingly, aka , get the right TV -TT/FW combination.
But "right" in whose opinion? Certainly not the TV manufactures or the dealerships selling these massive rolling boxes, both with misleading numbers right out of the gate on "towing capacity" and "dry weight" respectively.
So are we left with only this medium to reach and educate the masses on this issue? It appears the answer is yes. Along with other forums and You Tube videos we can only work with what we are given as tools.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

Some of my observations, in Portland the overweight RV combos were nearly all 1/2 pickups or SUVs. Now here in Idaho I see more of that shifted to as many or more 3/4 and 1 tons being over loaded. People still overload 1/2 tons here, I am guessing there are more larger pickups used and owned here than in the Portland area. I am also guessing that is because Idaho is more rural and people tend to own more stuff like horse trailers, off road vehicles, farms equipment. Heck the Portland Metro has more people than the whole state of ID.
I suspect most RV folks may come in 2 categories, Don't know and Don't care.
Like a good parent who will stop their child from putting their Tiny hand on a hot stove burner. We should still advise people that it's better to use the data that the feds put on the vehicles as what they did it for "maximum weights."

Having done what I did for 39 years years, I will say regarding any law being broken, I have heard people justify their behavior in the most stupid ways.
I doubt that will never change.
My hopes have been raised on here by the number of people who actually got the right tow vehicle before any major events happened to them or others.
"We can lead a horse to water, but cannot make him drink."
Is about all we got.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #23
Blackrock

Attached Images

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
OK,
The following personnel will line up and receive new user names:
The author of Post #16 -Convert One
The author of Post #17-Convert Two
The author of Post #18-Convert Three
This author -Convert Four
Alright that's not gonna work, I get it. I will add ironically the author of Post #15 is the one who wrote "THE" reply that got my attention and got me to the scales. The rest is history, as they say.
So back to the problem and how to approach it. Require documentation (trucks yellow sticker, scale tickets, proof of purchase of hitch type ect....) prior to becoming a member of this forum? Like passing some guarded checkpoint on a cold night in Russia new members "must produce documents" in order to proceed ?
And if you are successful in creating dialogue with those that will listen, you have to use caution in presentation as not to offend and have them throwing their toys back in the sandbox and run away angry. One guy the other day just posted "I'm done", don't want to hear it anymore. Goodbye.
Some (see Converts above) return, listen, ask questions and adjust their assets accordingly, aka , get the right TV -TT/FW combination.
But "right" in whose opinion? Certainly not the TV manufactures or the dealerships selling these massive rolling boxes, both with misleading numbers right out of the gate on "towing capacity" and "dry weight" respectively.
So are we left with only this medium to reach and educate the masses on this issue? It appears the answer is yes. Along with other forums and You Tube videos we can only work with what we are given as tools.
RMc
I stuck around and listened to the advice given,although my initial instinct was to slam to lid of the box closed and hope I didn’t hear anymore of the facts to upset my plans.
I’ve seen quite a few people on here come around to admitting they were mismatched ( and a couple holdouts still trying to convince people that they don’t give a flying f&$#) ..I suspect it still bothers them on some level though..
My point is I’ve tried to share what I’ve learned and have had a few conversations making people aware at campgrounds when it’s come up...
The word is getting around albeit slowly and it’s like the faberge shampoo commercial from the 80’s
“And I told two friends ..and they told two friends and so on and so on ...
Old 06-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #25
linux3

I'm in here somewhere.
I started with a Ford Explorer with the 3.5L twinturbo.
Plenty of power but just not enough..... Rear frame?

I traded the Explorer for a Silverado 1500 then another much fancier 1500.
OK, a grocery getter 1500 to be sure but way under the max spec's.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #26
Fishsizzle

It sinks in. I didn’t come here even to talk about my truck. Some took it upon themselves to dig through my sig and proceeded to tell me I’m an idiot and the only trucks that should ever pull 5ths are Duallys. LOL. Glad I stuck it out, I almost gave up, on this forum.

Some of us are just stuck with decisions, and will dig out of them when we can.

I will say it’s odd with the MH to tell the wife to put “whatever the heck she wants” in it. At 32,000 GVWR and 42,000 GCVWR I have lots of room to spare. Just need to figure out how to get some weight on the steer axle
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #27
jamtracy

I’m on that same site and I saw that post. Unbelievable. The pin weight probably starts out over the limit.
The 378 is a monster and should be towed with a dually. My opinion.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #28
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yet another reason I’m NOT on Facebook
Me either. Today is Father's day. Thread brings to light something my father told me years ago.
GIVE AN IDIOT A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE AND HE BECOMES AN EXPERT.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
notanlines

Fish, eat more pizza and no 'lite' beer for starters! Real ice cream with butterscotch syrup before bed....I could go on!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #30
MN Roger

Yep, Facebook is notorious for bullying and negative replies. Without a doubt, a nasty place to voice comments and opinions.
MN Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #31
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
So I’m on a couple Keystone FB groups. I’m not sure why I bother lol. There was a post this evening from a guy who tomorrow takes delivery of his new to him 2020 Avalanche 378BH. He intends to pull it with his new to him 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali with a Duramax. I posted that it wasn’t enough truck and all hell broke loose. I was shocked, or maybe not, by the number of people attacking me and telling him it was “more than enough truck” and supporting their position by talking tow capacity and pictures of their own grossly overloaded rigs that “tow great”.

I’m actually more afraid tonight to pull down the road than ever, in spite of having witnessed overloaded TV’s and rigs before. It reaffirms my belief that some folks are simply unable to swim out of the shallow end of the gene pool. The poster himself stated that “the numbers don’t work” but he sleeps at night not worrying about his wife and kids because he knows “the former owners pulled it with an F250 and they were fine”. Good Lord.
I myself ha e the Avalanche 396BH with similar numbers and pull with a F350 Dually ....no way I'd consider pulling it with a F250 or 2500....

#Darwanism - just hope they don't hurt someone else with there stupidity. Hoping that more highway patrol start pulling these type rigs over for some consumer education.
Payload Capacity - 2616
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #32
takpak

Angry facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yet another reason I’m NOT on Facebook
You mean "farce-book"......??!!
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #33
81SHOVELHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by takpak View Post
You mean "farce-book"......??!!
Another reason i dumped facebook .
My nephew was here this weekend with his new 2021 Ram 2500 . He looked at our 2021 Montana High Country 295RL & said he wanted 1. Dealer said it could tow 19,000 lbs . Showed him the cargo capacity on the door jam. Don't think so. 2033 cargo capacity . My 295rl has an empty pin weight of 2300 lbs. His answer was I'll just get airbags. Some people just don't get it . If it's a diesel engine it can tow anything.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #34
LadyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...airstream-tow/

The "California expats" in this article were warned of overweight towing, but did as you stated, displayed a bird and towed anyway. Finding themselves in the middle of the interstate (more than likely I-40 outside of Barstow) jack-knifed and blocking all lanes wasn't enough of an indicator that something was not right. Well nothing a doobie by the campfire wont cure, right?
And the real irony here is, this whole story is published in a (formerly) respected driving publication. WTF???
RMc
That is a lousy article!! It is written so, I am not sure what the correct way to say this is!! It makes too light of a matter of a very serious matter. Anyone reading that article will never feel any urgency to be sure they are towing within all the limits of their T/V and with the correct towing equipment.
LadyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:57 AM   #35
Ken / Claudia

It's kind of like "that happened to them, it will not happen to me" mind set.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #36
travelin texans

I was reading on FB, I typically don't post just read, some guy was posting the biggest pile of BS on towing with a 1/2 ton that I was tempted to post how wrong he was for posting such bad information, but I remembered this thread & thought "why, he knows it all". The unfortunate part is that there were several agreeing with his BS. It's no wonder why newbies get so lopsided with RVs & TV's after reading nonsense like this "expert" was spewing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #37
NMRandy

The big deal is brakes. 1/2 tons do not have good enough brakes to stop something quickly, if the trailer brakes fail. Some 3/4 tons have the same brakes as a 1 ton, others do not. I wouldn't tow anything over 5000lbs with a 1/2 ton. The 3/4 ton is best for bumper pull trailers, unless the trailer has 6 wheels, in that case the truck needs 6 wheels too! JMHO
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #38
dutchmensport

I gave up a long time ago trying to "save the world." If someone want's my opinion, I'll give it to them. If I say something that I think will help their cause, I'll share my thoughts with them. If I have concerns about their welfare, I'll give them my warnings of impending disaster or failure.

There was a time in my life, when I pushed if they didn't heed my wonderful words of wisdom. But no more! After getting the verbal and emotional stuffings pounded out of me, I quit! Today, I'll just state my thoughts and leave it up to others to either accept it or reject it. I quit trying to save the whole world! People just don't want to hear when they are blatantly in the wrong and they will turn their faulty behavior around and make YOU the bad guy!

So, in the end, you shared your concerns, other's jumped in and voiced their concerns against your concern, but in the very end, the person who purchased the Avalanche will have to make the final decision how he handles his choices.

Personally, I have never done Face Book, and never will. It's a dangerous place to play in if unless you enjoy having your nuts in a vice!
Old 06-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #39
Gegrad

I am a member of a FB group called "travel trailer camping", and there is a reason I visit that group less than once a month. Nearly every post is someone towing unsafely and people telling them they are good, and the others who do question the setup are laughed at and responded with "his max tow is 10k and that thing only weighs 9k". There was a pic of a person towing a long TH trailer with the ram 1500 squatting down to its limiters and one dude had the gall to say "anyone who thinks there is something wrong with this setup shouldn't be towing a trailer. They just need to adjust their hitch". I responded with "nah, anyone who thinks this is acceptable shouldn't be towing a trailer".

The next post was a dude towing about a 17'er with a minivan and he said "anyone who wants to criticize this, it works for us". Jesus Mary and joseph.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:04 AM   #40
notanlines

“ Personally, I have never done Face Book, and never will. It's a dangerous place to play in if unless you enjoy having your nuts in a vice!”
Dutch, I doubt any of us could have said it better!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote