Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #21
Harried Harry

HvyChevy, as you will find out the cost is very high for new trucks. Almost all dealerships are asking and getting MSRP but the used trucks are almost as expensive. I've been looking on Craigslist and CarGurus for the past year and only saw two vehicles which met my criteria. One I was planning to buy so I drove the 7 hours to look at it. I did provide a deposit but the stealership ignored it and sold it to someone else. (I had told the salesman I would look at it, then get some sleep and return in the morning). Be ready to decide within an hour of looking at one.

If you are looking for used, then you may have more time. Know what you want and what your wife will accept before you ever go onto a sales lot. Learn from my experience. Oh, if you need to arrange financing, be prepared to provide a large check ($1,000 to $2000) to "hold" the truck.

I'm currently driving a 2008 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 long bed; I use a truck camper and have a 5er (2003 Cougar 278). I am over the GVWR which is one reason I'm upgrading. Besides, I'm not getting younger and I keep seeing younger people I worked besides obituary in the paper. I have saved enough money so we are not hurting, especially since we stayed home for the past 18 months.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:39 PM   #22
JSisemoreTX

Your math....is the same reason I got a used 2017 F350 Dually when we decided to go from a TT to the 5th wheel.
Payload Capacity - 2616
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #23
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Ya fellas I have figured and formulated till I am blue in the face. Could take this or that off, not carry this or that, etc. That ain’t me. I don’t want to be anywhere near the max. Thought I was way better off than I was. Those weight tickets were sobering.

New trucks are selling for $2k over MSRP and used trucks are going for at least that much over blue book. Crazy world. I guess it’s a wash, could get real good money for my truck but I’ll have to turn around and spend it on a new or used one.

Had one sold out from under me and I just had enough wasting time. So I hired a nationwide car broker who is sending me a couple options with my parameters tomorrow. We shall see.
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

I went through the same thing and even tried leaving this, dropping that off etc. etc. Like you, that's not me so I gave up....and it flat wasn't fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:40 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Ya fellas I have figured and formulated till I am blue in the face. Could take this or that off, not carry this or that, etc. That ain’t me. I don’t want to be anywhere near the max. Thought I was way better off than I was. Those weight tickets were sobering.

New trucks are selling for $2k over MSRP and used trucks are going for at least that much over blue book. Crazy world. I guess it’s a wash, could get real good money for my truck but I’ll have to turn around and spend it on a new or used one.

Had one sold out from under me and I just had enough wasting time. So I hired a nationwide car broker who is sending me a couple options with my parameters tomorrow. We shall see.
I applaud you for aknowledging and addressing the issue. There are several "types" of reactions from folks when the subject is appeoached. There are the what I call the "Duck and Run" who refuse to accept that the people at the dealerships (RV & Truck or SUV) lied to them just to make a sale. They were so freindly, gave me free coffee, had a nice bright smile, they were so pleasent and were just like a good freind! They stick their heads in the sand or "run off" so they don't have to deal with the truth.

Then there are the "Fighters". They will just get angry and lash out on the person delivery the information. They will tell you how full of crap you are, don't know what you're talking about and will stike out with a full attack then run away.

The "know it alls". These are the ones that will argue forever. They will use unrelated numbers, unsubstantiated "quotes" from websites and "experts" that support their opinion after they "pick and choose" and "parse" what they. We'll see the advertising numbers that the mfg pukes out regularly like "shipping or dry weight" for trailers as well as "delivery pin weight or delivery tongue weight". The truck ads that claim some rediculouse "towing capacity" right after the "best in class" claim. They aparently don't beleive or don't read all that "fine print" and disclaimers that those numbers are on a "properly equipped" model. If they did see that then they don't read on what it means. my truck has a towing package right? what do mean it's not properly equipped? Some folks will search a 100 sites to find the one that fits their narrative then they will live and die by that one publication. Often they will try to impress by giving their curriculum vite that they are/were ______ fill in the title
that's somehow supposed to add credence to their statements. Typically they also won't spend the money to get the rig weighed. They probably spend more money on a weekend trip for beer but what the heck, it's notmy money. They must be a lot of fun if they get audited by the IRS or if a doctor gives them some bad news.

Finally, there's the refreshing experiences we have with folks who listen, do their own research, and are willing to realize that like so many others they didn't understand the process of finding out if they are within the limits of the trucks weight carrying ability. It can and often is a daunting task. The information isn't easily garnered from the mfg. websites and calling the dealerships will only prove more frustrating. It requires alot more fortitude and charecter to admit that you didn't understand or was misled than to to be defensive and confrontational. The group of people that I just described typically stay around and contribute to the community. Often, they become "honorary members" of the weight police. I'm one of those that found out the "hard way" myself and I try to prevent someone from going down the same path that I did before "understanding" it.

I apologize for long "rant". I should have just said "congradulations" or "good job" but somehow that didn't seem sufficiant and sounds to patronizing. Good luck in your search and travel safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #26
LewisB

To the OP, nice job on handling the transition. It might be painful now, but the first time you hook on to a 1 ton (especially if it is a DRW), load your vehicle without scrimping on what you take, and head off down the road, it will seem well worth the effort.

I could not believe how much more relaxed I was after the transition to a 1 ton DRW. Even the DW made note of my calm! Towing with "excess" payload is now FUN!

Good luck in your search.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:

What are you looking for???
Old 05-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #28
Bryan R

I think you have you weighs confused, did a quick search for towing capacity of 05 3/4 chevy. The gross for the pickup is 11400, with a towing capacity of 12000. Which would give you a total weigh of 23400lbs. You also have to look at axle weights and not exceed those. But a CVW of 23400, seems about right, because at 26000, you will need a Class A drivers license for an RV or a CDL if something other than a RV.
You could get very technical but no DOT guy would look at it this way, if your RV by it’s self unhooked from your truck is less than 1200 LBs, you are under your total towing capacity, then hooked up your truck doesn’t exceed 9200 (I believe that is what the door tag started) and don’t have an axle over then your all good. Also make sure that you not over on trailer axles.
I’m not going to change what I said, but after reading some more of the comments, I’m thinking you have a 2500, SW. what I stated is for a 3500 DW.
Bryan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #29
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan R View Post
I think you have you weighs confused, did a quick search for towing capacity of 05 3/4 chevy. The gross for the pickup is 11400, with a towing capacity of 12000. Which would give you a total weigh of 23400lbs. You also have to look at axle weights and not exceed those. But a CVW of 23400, seems about right, because at 26000, you will need a Class A drivers license for an RV or a CDL if something other than a RV.
You could get very technical but no DOT guy would look at it this way, if your RV by it’s self unhooked from your truck is less than 1200 LBs, you are under your total towing capacity, then hooked up your truck doesn’t exceed 9200 (I believe that is what the door tag started) and don’t have an axle over then your all good. Also make sure that you not over on trailer axles.
I’m not going to change what I said, but after reading some more of the comments, I’m thinking you have a 2500, SW. what I stated is for a 3500 DW.
Believe you got the 2005 1 ton dually and my 3/4 ton truck mixed up on GVW. See my first post with pics. Sticker on my door is 9200# GVW, payload of 2644. GVW on a 1 ton dually that year was 11,400, more than 2000# over my truck.

For price reference, there’s a 2005 1 ton dually 4x4 crew cab LT Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison, 55k miles, for $36k in Houston. And they’ll get it. My truck was $34k when it was new 16 years ago. That’s the market right now.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #30
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
What are you looking for???
Well Javi, that changes by the day based on availability. But originally I was looking for what I have now, just in a new 1 ton. So a 2020 or 2021 Silverado 3500 SRW CC 4x4 gas. Those have a payload of 4300#, which is 1700# more than what my old 3/4 ton started life with before I added all the extras to it.

Those are about as rare as unicorns in any trim higher than work truck these days. So unless my broker pulls a rabbit out of his hat, I’m diesel shopping.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #31
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Ram?

May have found one. 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 Mega Cab 6.5 ft bed, dually. 67k miles. Opinions?
Old 05-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #32
Javi

Quote:
May have found one. 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 Mega Cab 6.5 ft bed, dually. 67k miles. Opinions?
Except for the Bullwinkle mirrors and the front end the Ram is a great truck.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

What engine/transmission ??? Base engine was (I think) a 5.7 Hemi... Not a lot of power for a truck that size....

The diesel comes with one transmission, the diesel HO comes with the ASIN

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #34
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What engine/transmission ??? Base engine was (I think) a 5.7 Hemi... Not a lot of power for a truck that size....

The diesel comes with one transmission, the diesel HO comes with the ASIN
I am guessing since it is a dually it has the 6.4. I have seen a few dually gassers around and they have all had the 6.4.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #35
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

No I’m done looking for gassers. This has the HO Cummins and Aisin 6 speed.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #36
Javi

Quote:
Good motor, I'd be driving one right now if it weren't for the Bullwinkle mirrors... I just can't do it.. 😜
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Depending on the condition of that specific truck, the Cummins HO/AISIN is an awesome performance machine... You won't have any issues carrying/pulling most any "REASONABLE" trailer or fifth wheel.... Certainly no issues with your current RV.

Based on what I've seen around this area and what I've read/heard from other locations, if you're interested in that specific truck, don't procrastinate or it'll be gone and you'll be standing there "scratching your head wondering what happened".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
I like the mega cab with the 6.5 bed.. you can get away without a slider hitch if your very careful but if you want to be on the safe side I would use a slider hitch.. you have the better injection pump on the 2016. It’s a cp3 I believe and is bullet proof.. you will have a lot of room in the cab and the rear seats even recline a little .. it’s a tough looking truck and I almost bought the same cab/ bed configuration myself.. and I agree I would jump on whatever your thinking about because it will be gone before you know it...also see you have. TT not a fiver...even better for storing things in the bed for you
Old 05-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #39
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Guess I’m going tomorrow then. Thanks fellas! This is hands down the most responsive forum I’ve ever been on.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #40
JDDilly

I have had 3 RAM with the Cummins. The first 2 were 2500's and I have over 200,000 miles on each with no issues. My current is a 3500 DRW, no issues, but it only has 35,000 miles on it.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote