Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't know about Leno But I can tell you with completed confidence one guy that won't be getting one.
Add another to the that list!
If I run out of fuel, gas or diesel, someone can bring 5 gallons & I'm on my way.
If your EV goes dead someone will need to bring a generator & sit along the highway for how ever many hours it takes to recharge enough to get to the next charging station so you can sit while it fully charges, then you're good for another couple hundred miles. And all this for ONLY $80-120k.
NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If I run out of fuel, gas or diesel, someone can bring 5 gallons & I'm on my way.
If your EV goes dead someone will need to bring a generator & sit along the highway for how ever many hours it takes to recharge enough to get to the next charging station so you can sit while it fully charges, then you're good for another couple hundred miles. And all this for ONLY $80-120k.
NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
You just conjured up images in my feeble brain of the first Gulf War and the "road to Baghdad turkey shoot". Trucks strewn along the road, some burning and smoldering. I could imagine that scene with RVs in tow on the roads leading out of the desert SW in the summertime.

The "energizer bunny" frantically hopping along crying "Oh the humanity" as the batteries melt down. I'm sorry, I know I'm disturbed but it's fun.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #23
BRB Rig

We like what Atlis in Mesa is doing. https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Article claims huge torque but omits mention of payload or any real towing tests.
https://rvlife.com/hummer-ev/
And censors any comments concerning the glaring lack of payload information.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #25
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Today's count is 2. Two states that have outlawed the purchase of gas/diesel vehicles after 2035. One of these stares is CA (the other NJ).
I guess NJ didn't learn a single thing from what another of their silly mandates did to tank the entire "smart gun" industry (most of the way down the article).
Old 10-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
takpak

Gm erv

I would like one for one simple reason......next time one of the "young folk" pull up alongside me with their high powered Tesla car and dare me to a race, I'd say "sure, bring it on".......and then leave them in the dust with the 1000 HP/11,000 pounds of GMC Hummer torque. Just like the good old days, when the youngsters would pull up alongside my friend's crappy looking old 1957 Ford station wagon ( a sleeper we called it) with the 427 high performance engine in it. Their expressions (when they finally caught up with us) was priceless!!!!!
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

I have a vision of all electric vehicles; first to be MANDATED to all electric in the Green New Deal is the farmer. You can just imagine the farmer being overjoyed at swapping his big tractor for an electric tractor. Since the power demands will be high, guess a little update on the rural electrical grid might be in order. And then the vehicles going down the road. Since there are various finite distances the battery powered vehicles can go, there will have to be charging stations in rural area every so many miles else there will be a bunch of stranded electromobiles on the side of the road or having to be towed to a charging station. And were does this electricity come from? Hmmmm. Guess I will invest in Solyndra but wait! Didn't the Feds do that already? I am not seeing electromobiles as a wide spread option until there is a common way to charge them once you get out of your driveway/garage.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #28
notanlines

Not to mention it's not a Hummer anyway. It's just a fake Jeep with a lot of chrome with a stolen name from an honorable vehicle. I'd rather take the bus than have my friends see me in an H3.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #29
LERD

You could absolutely see that coming from California. I guess the good news for me is that my retirement is around 2 years away. That gives me plenty of time to see the redwood trees before they turn off the spigot!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #30
DAMILLER_SR

I know I'm going to get crapped for saying this, but I'm a big old tree hugger who loves the environment. I don't know why it's wrong to not want to pollute as much as you could in the old days,But apparently that's the way things go.
IF and that is a major if I could get a electric vehicle that you go about 200 miles, which is 40 more than my TV gets right now, I'd jump all over it if it was less than a 100K, .We liberals don't think that Ev's are non polluters, it's just that you can pick the location where the pollution occurs as opposed to spreading it everywhere. For the record, we liberals still have guns and we do eat meat, let the crapping begin.
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #31
jimborokz

No crap here and no liberal tree hugger either but I love trees. Just a guy that had an electric lawn tractor way back in the 70's and used it for years. Actually collected several of them. They were banned from small tractor pulls because the motors had so much more torque than the gassers.
Anyway this EV thing has a long way to go and a ton of improvements to come. I remember in the late 70's a guy coming into work and showing off his new led watch. Paid something like $150 for it and we all laughed because he had to push a button to light it up so it took two hands to read the time. Couple years later the LCD watches had all kinds of functions in them and they were putting led watches in cereal boxes for prizes. New technology is an amazing thing to watch happen and fortunately some are willing to pay the high price to be "the first to have it" and cover the high cost of the research and development.
In the mean time we RVers are already enjoying some of the benefits such as new battery technology to name just one.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Alvin Toffler wrote "technology feeds upon itself". He was a great author/futurist IMO. Think about how electricity lead to incandescent lamps with vacuum tubes followed by foods, then transistors, then integrated circuits and then the proliferation of electronics.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #33
skmct

When they ban fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
It will take 60 solar panels to change your EV. And you will have to stay an extra day if the sun is shining
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #34
LERD

Yeah, truly no crap here. I would bet 98% of us on this forum love the trees and the great outdoors. Even if we're not liberal. But we don't need government interference to advance our technology. The government doesn't understand business. So when it becomes feasible, there will be an electric tow vehicle that many of us would be willing to buy. It will have more pulling power than any other fueled vehicle out there. But you just can't legislate that into existence. In the mean time, what about the people that could never afford to upgrade to an EV. Let's face it, we are all very blessed in here just to be able to afford this hobby/lifestyle. Many people will never experience what we can. If you eliminate gas and diesel, you've essentially relegated many to public transportation or walking. Americans are very ingenious, someone will perfect an electric tow vehicle all on their own. Without any unnecessary rules from government.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
It will take 60 solar panels to change your EV. And you will have to stay an extra day if the sun is shining
Good thing you've got a bed and a kitchen with you, eh?
Old 10-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
Yeah, truly no crap here. I would bet 98% of us on this forum love the trees and the great outdoors. Even if we're not liberal. But we don't need government interference to advance our technology. The government doesn't understand business. So when it becomes feasible, there will be an electric tow vehicle that many of us would be willing to buy. It will have more pulling power than any other fueled vehicle out there. But you just can't legislate that into existence. In the mean time, what about the people that could never afford to upgrade to an EV. Let's face it, we are all very blessed in here just to be able to afford this hobby/lifestyle. Many people will never experience what we can. If you eliminate gas and diesel, you've essentially relegated many to public transportation or walking. Americans are very ingenious, someone will perfect an electric tow vehicle all on their own. Without any unnecessary rules from government.

That was a good post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #37
GilaElkHunter

The same liberal tree hugging eco wackos are trying to shut down the copper mines I work in just like power plants. I have just 2 questions for them,
1. Where do you expect all that electricity to come from?
2. How do you think that electricity is going to get to that outlet to charge your EV?
You might say renewable energy.. and I say it takes many many pounds of copper to build a new EV, wind turbine, solar array, powerline, transformer, sub station. Not to mention what ever it takes to make the batteries.
Sorry I will get off my box now
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #38
linux3

A very good video on why electric vehicles are just not there for towing.

OK, OK towing at 75 MPH but the main point and math is still valid.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Good video and explanation. The "good new" really isn't so good. Increase battery density by 3 times? At what weight cost? If the weight increases the range does as well. Also, when you manage to get to that FS campground "in the woods" at the top of the hill, exactly how many of them have you been in that have 250kwh peds sitting up there to recharge your vehicle for the next 2 days?? Not in my lifetime..... Now, where's that new 450??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #40
LERD

I've often wondered why they don't try a power plant like a diesel electric train? Your not moving millions of tons of cargo. Most likely never more than 25-35k lbs. This could be done with a small diesel generator powering two or four electric motors, all weighing around the same as a normal internal combustion engine and drive train.