Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #21
rodgebone

I hate all this constant new technology. All this crap seemed to start around 1990 (guess I'm dating myself but to this day I still miss rotary phones). I also found the 12" screen and controls intimidating at first but after about 6 months of solo travel it quickly became my favorite feature of the truck (especially the navigation system which proved invaluable). Once I learned most of the intricacies I found it even easier to use than buttons and knobs. Still, at 11 months I'm learning new things all the time although I refuse to "talk" to it LOL. Gotta love technology
Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Have you ever considered applying for a job at the Smithsonian? Sorry, couldn't help myself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #23
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Have you ever considered applying for a job at the Smithsonian? Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Now THAT would be a great gig! Interpretive host?
Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
Now THAT would be a great gig! Interpretive host?
DW and I were down there a few years ago and after about an hour of me identifying objects the DW said "you should be on display here".
Oh well....
Old 05-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

My grandson and his fiancé were involved in a "T-bone" accident a couple days ago. They were hit by a drunk driver who ran a stop light. FORTUNATELY their truck had side curtain air bags and they walked away from the accident.

Back in 1990, our son borrowed his mom's Acclaim to go to work at BK. As a 16 year old, he was saving money to buy repair parts to get his "clunker" repaired.... FORTUNATELY, he was in a car with a steering wheel air bag. A woman ran a stop sign and suddenly was "in front of him on a major highway with oncoming traffic and nowhere to go but to hit her. He still talks about the crunch, the bang and seeing feathers as the air bag deflated. He walked away from that accident....

Looking back, had either of them been in "vehicles without all those "geegaws" it's likely neither accident would have ended the way they did...

As much as I'm "frustrated by the cost of new trucks and cars" all of those "technology advances" do make them safer than older cars... Remember back when cars had a one piece steering shaft and impaled the driver in every frontal crash ???

While I'm no "big fan of making things more complex" I've got two events, one very recent and one from years ago that I'm certain would have ended differently had it not been for "that stuff that makes trucks more expensive every year".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

John when our oldest daughter got her license we bought her a brand new Nissan Sentra. We wanted her to have a safe and reliable way thru college. It had side curtain air bags, door impact reinforcements, etc. A work colleague criticized me for "spoiling" our Child. He had bought his son (same age) an old clunker and said he drove an old car thru college and it was good enough for his kid.

Thankfully the Sentra had great safety ratings. She and 2 friends friends in here car got hit broadside by a drunk driver. The car was drug sideways about 150' before being stopped by a light pole. They had to cut the roof off to get them out. All survived, some broken ribs and cuts. About 2 weeks later his son was involved in a head on. The non airbagged steering wheel ruptured his spleen and he lost his life.

I'll take the modern safety equipment anyday.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

I agree about the technology. Some of it is just bells and whistles....and irritation, but there are SO many good things that they do with it that I'll take it and deal with the parts I don't like.

Like you guys, I've seen some bad things happen. In the back seat of a new Cadillac DeVille about '65. My friend was driving, after dark and entering a town we had never been to. It had a traffic circle right as you came in on the highway. Don't guess he saw the sign, if there was one, but drove straight into the side of about a '64 Ford Fairlane 500 filled with folks. The results were bad all around but the mention of the steering shaft earlier brought this one back. His head was stuck through the windshield...sort of. I guess there is a sheet of plastic or something sandwiched in the windshield that keeps it from shattering. He was just sort of "molded" into it with the glass still stuck to the plastic but shattered in a zillion tiny pieces. There were no seat belts as I recall and I remember that big steering wheel being folded over and down but that steering column didn't go anywhere. The vehicle was huge, heavy and built like a tank.....but it would have been nice for that steering column to "give". Yep, I'll take the advancements....even if I have to learn to talk to a "thing" that can't understand me..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #28
rodgebone

When I was 8 I was riding with my sister's friend in her VW Bug sitting in the very back behind the rear seat (no seatbelt back there of course - nor a seat). she had to avoid another driver and diverted headlong into a big sign post. I got thrown all the way into the front windshield. my only ambulance ride knock on wood. I'll take the new tech airbags anyday. my new RAM has enough to make a cocoon. just wish it came with a rotary phone. but what can you do?
Old 05-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #29
notanlines

Rodgebone, maybe you could just put a crank on the side of your iPhone and pretend? One of the handles from your RV windows would work nicely! Might as well go way back...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
When I was 8 I was riding with my sister's friend in her VW Bug sitting in the very back behind the rear seat (no seatbelt back there of course - nor a seat). she had to avoid another driver and diverted headlong into a big sign post. I got thrown all the way into the front windshield. my only ambulance ride knock on wood. I'll take the new tech airbags anyday. my new RAM has enough to make a cocoon. just wish it came with a rotary phone. but what can you do?
I will take the Bluetooth phone interface any day! Voice command dialing, hand never leaves the steering wheel! That and voice to text and the other side text to audio!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #31
Scooter1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thought I would post my assessment of the first trip with the new 3500 pulling the new trailer. Figured I would make a post about the TV and another about the RV itself.

As far as the Ram; 2019 3500, 5k miles now, 6.4L, 4x4, SWB/CC, 4.10, 8 speed Laramie.

This truck replaced a 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn, 6.4L, 3.73, SWB/CC, 6 speed.

The trailer behind the 2014 had a gvw of 10k and scaled 92-9300 generally. The 14 pulled it well but the 6 speed does limit things along with the 3.73. All in all I was very happy with it. Knew we wanted a new trailer, we both said we never wanted a 5th wheel, and the new trailer had to have a gvw of no more than 12k or so. Well we missed that mark after DW determined she HAD to have a washer and dryer.

New trailer has a gvw of 14,500. Unloaded was 11,500. I have not scaled yet but comparing what we had in the last trailer and what we transferred I would estimate a tow weight currently around 13k, maybe a bit less - I'll know when I get back.

When I bought the new 3500 I never dreamed of a 14.5k full profile 5th wheel (I've stated the reason, yet again, above). I did not have enough tow time with the truck to have any idea what the engine/tranny/axle combo could/would do. In fact, much to the dismay of my wife, I told her to expect a new diesel Ram upon arrival here in FL (I tried to make her smile but she just wouldn't since I bought this one the last day of last year). But to my surprise, and her extreme joy, I was pleased with the trip.

Left TX with a 30mph front quartering wind. The truck pulled OK (not great like a diesel but not struggling). What it did do that worried the heck out of me was suck gas at a phenomenal rate. I had to work to stay above 7mpg avg. Told DW with such a small tank we might have to stop at every town we passed and add an hour or 2 to our projected ETA. In fact though we managed to stop at every established gas stop (determined over years of making this trip) we had for the entire trip. The wind let up (not gone) after the first day and towing was actually fun and worries gone.

The 8 speed and 4.10 make a remarkable combo for the gas option. Pulling much more weight it actually strained much less. It was always able to find a hole that kept the rpm's contained and steady. Sustaining speed up and down the hills of E TX and beyond it just strummed along; again, not like a diesel but nothing like I feared - in fact a huge relief and wonderful, pleasant surprise. After the first day wind subsided (some) I averaged between 8-9 mpg; about the same as the 3/4 did with the smaller trailer. 3500 rpm was the highest I hit and that was on the longest, sustained grade (or 3) we hit. I hit 3500 several times with the other combo.

I waited for this combo, looked all over the place to find one before buying it in FL and I can truthfully say that it was worth the wait. I figure I'm running 13k or so but have no problem thinking of running that up to 14k if required (but won't - I can't imagine what I'd be throwing in).

The 1 ton vs 3/4 ton I'm not sure what you gain other than the higher payload on the sticker. As far as squat, it does squat with the pin weight. Not terribly nor much more than the 3/4 did with the bumper pull (about 1500 less than the pin estimate on the 1 ton). I do like all the goo gahs (I think) of the Laramie package but dislike the 12 inch screen for all the info. Great for seeing the nav but all the controls are lost and almost illegible. DW has to find the right buttons and activate them because it takes too much time and diversion of attention to try to find them.

All in all I'm very happy; happy with the way it pulled; happy DW is happy with me; and happy to not have to spend another 80k plus to get a diesel to pull her washer and dryer....whoops! said it again...
The 12” screen act’s just like a tablet, you can drag the app’s to the bottom of the screen so you can easily access them. When you change seasons you can just hit the resets button and move the new app’s you want down to the bottom of your screen again. Sorry that your salesman didn’t show you all the tricks you can do with that system. It’s really cool if you know how to use it correctly. Scott
Scooter1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #32
travelin texans

My DWs sister lives in the piney woods of east Texas with such a strong accent that when she does the talk to text without proof reading before sending then it reaches the DW we have to try to put on her accent to cipher what she's trying to say, gets a bit tricky.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #33
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Rodgebone, maybe you could just put a crank on the side of your iPhone and pretend? One of the handles from your RV windows would work nicely! Might as well go way back...
please explain...whats an iPhone?
Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Must be a typo. Proper grammar should my "my phone" or "your phone" shouldn't it?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
It's your flip phone on steroids.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #36
jimborokz

The Solution:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RotaryCellPhone1363781849.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	27395  
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^That's it!! That's it!! Where did you get that? Who makes it? I've gotta have one to simplify my life!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #38
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^^That's it!! That's it!! Where did you get that? Who makes it? I've gotta have one to simplify my life!
You'll never win any radio contests with that thing.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #39
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
The Solution:
Im in...amazon link? group buy? and where can i buy the gerbil with small hands to dial it? will my union allow it? just asking
Old 06-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #40
rbrdriver

Sourdough, is your Ram a srw or a drw?
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote