Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #21
EricHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Where's the GM love?
I've also heard good things about the Silverado HD, but after spending a couple months researching all three of the manufacturers, that was the one that I decided to eliminate. As far as I can see, there is no clear winner in this arena. I had just come to the conclusion that I personally liked the RAM and Ford offerings a little bit better.

When I saw a lot of Class A diesels being built on the Freightliner chassis and using both the Cummins engine *and* the Allison transmission, I almost decided to go with a Class A motorhome instead! I wish this were a la carte: Please ring me up with the Cummins, the Allison, and Ford's tow technology. Oh, and if I could get one that turns into a Prius when I unhook from the 5er, that'd be icing on the cake!
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #22
EricHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Granted 4,455# of Payload is a big payload for a non TH, but you could easily be at 14,000# to 14,550# might consider a DRW.
I'm definitely going to go with DRW; forgot to mention that in my original post. I don't know how fast that weight is going to add up. We're going to put in a washer and dryer, and then after the first year we're going to add the 5.5 kW generator and a stack of solar panels as we're heading to Alaska after that. So the weight may add up. I'm assuming 16,000 pounds as that will be worst case scenario.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:11 AM   #23
notanlines

Eric, if you had done a little more research you would have learned that people who drive one ton pickups are not allowed to own a Prius.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:19 AM   #24
EricHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Eric, if you had done a little more research you would have learned that people who drive one ton pickups are not allowed to own a Prius.....
LOL! I would have said GoldWing, but it looks like you're a Harley rider so that probably wouldn't have gone over well, either ;-)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Prior to the 2017 model year, Ford offered two front axle suspension systems on the F350 DRW truck. One is the "conventional" front axle and comes with increased (wider) turn radius. The optional (really means increased cost) front axle is called the "wide stance" axle and has more clearance in the wheel wells and a tighter turn radius. The wide stance axle was standard in the F450 line.

Why do I bring this up? I don't think the wide stance axle is available in the F350 DRW line with the 2017 and forward truck models. You might verify this with a "knowledgeable Ford truck salesman" (sometimes hard to find at many Ford dealerships).

So, if the tighter turn radius is a consideration, you might find that after 2017, the only way to get it is by changing to the F450 model lineup. If the turn radius is not a consideration, then the F350 would be the only choice. Rear axle ratios available are the 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10. Depending on the trim option you choose and the optional packages, you may not find all three available in every model.

Now, something you mentioned (I think it was you) about the rear camera and TPMS option which is a part of the trailer towing technology package. It's my understanding that the TPMS only reads pressure, not temperature of the tires (both truck and trailer). Some members here, who have that package on their Ford trucks have indicated that they were disappointed with the TPMS limitations and one even stopped using it and reinstalled his aftermarket TPMS so he could monitor trailer tire temps as well as pressure. Maybe not a concern for you, but I wanted to mention the OEM limitation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #26
travelin texans

Another question! What's this "Ford tow technology" that could be so much better than the others?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Another question! What's this "Ford tow technology" that could be so much better than the others?
You can go to the Ford.com website and read all the information about Ford's optional packages for trucks. https://shop.ford.com/build/superdut...RW.LAR.653.%5D

Essentially, the Tow Technology package is a $2100 option that is described this way: "Make the task of towing easier with adaptive steering, automatic high beams with rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane-keeping alert, and Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (includes 360-degree camera plus center high-mount stop lamp camera)."

Notice the TPMS is not a part of that package. It's included in another package called: "Rear Camera - Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera" and is an additional $725.

Without getting into the "is Ford that much better" argument, the point I was making is that the TPMS and the front axle selections have changed from earlier models and the OP needs to check with his dealership to determine the different options available for the F350/F450 front axle as well as limitations on the Ford TPMS option. He "may" find that he doesn't want those options or he "may" find that they limit his options and he would need to upgrade to the F450 to get an option he prefers. Then again, maybe he wants a SRW F350 and there's only one front axle style available...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #28
Badbart56

I wasn't aware that the F350 could be had with the wide stance axle. I thought that was only available with the F450.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I wasn't aware that the F350 could be had with the wide stance axle. I thought that was only available with the F450.
I believe the wide stance front axle option "went away" with the 2017 F350 DRW truck and is no longer available on F350's but is still "standard" on the F450 line. Prior to 2017, the wide stance front axle was available on F350 DRW trucks. I believe that Javi, a member here, has that front axle on his F350 DRW as do several other "pre 2017 F350 DRW owners"... Others, with the same truck, have the "narrow stance front axle, which has a significantly wider turn radius...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can go to the Ford.com website and read all the information about Ford's optional packages for trucks. https://shop.ford.com/build/superdut...RW.LAR.653.%5D

Essentially, the Tow Technology package is a $2100 option that is described this way: "Make the task of towing easier with adaptive steering, automatic high beams with rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane-keeping alert, and Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (includes 360-degree camera plus center high-mount stop lamp camera)."

Notice the TPMS is not a part of that package. It's included in another package called: "Rear Camera - Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera" and is an additional $725.

Without getting into the "is Ford that much better" argument, the point I was making is that the TPMS and the front axle selections have changed from earlier models and the OP needs to check with his dealership to determine the different options available for the F350/F450 front axle as well as limitations on the Ford TPMS option. He "may" find that he doesn't want those options or he "may" find that they limit his options and he would need to upgrade to the F450 to get an option he prefers. Then again, maybe he wants a SRW F350 and there's only one front axle style available...
Basically more bling bling!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #31
Frank G

Don't you have to go to Ford Truck Sales to opt for a F-450? I Think a standard ford dealer stops at the F-350, and won't service anything above a F-350. I know a standard Ford dealer won't touch a class A with the V-10, even in an emergency, 700 miles from home, with a wheelchair bound person aboard in 105 Deg heat.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #32
Badbart56

Ok, I wasn't aware that this "wide track" option was ever offered on the F350, but sure enough.....https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...ty-lineup.html

They dropped it in 2010 so don't expect to find it in any of the newer trucks.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #33
captcolour

I have a 2017 F-350 6.7L dually that I ordered. I went with the 3.55. No problem towing the 5th wheel. I wish I had test drove a F-450 to experience the turning radius difference. All F-450's are duallies.

If you would like, send me your e-mail and I will send you my build sheet from the 2017.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #34
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Ok, I wasn't aware that this "wide track" option was ever offered on the F350, but sure enough.....https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...ty-lineup.html

They dropped it in 2010 so don't expect to find it in any of the newer trucks.
It returned prior to the 17 model change over, It was available on the 15 and 16 models. You can tell by looking closely at the front fender flares. It was kind of disguised in the order information though because it was called HD trailer package which also included a 4.10 rear and few people knew what it included. But those who know and have had it won't be without it. Eliminating it has caused many of these customers to move to the F450. The 450 btw only offers a 4.30, not a 4.10. The 17+ 350 diesel DRW only offers a 3.55 or a 4.10, SRW diesel only offers a 3.31 or 3.55, the 3.73 is currently only offered with a gas motor.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
EricHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Basically more bling bling!
That's one way to look at it, I suppose, but I would like to respectfully disagree. My top priority when towing (or really, any time I'm on the road) is safety - both mine and my wife's, as well as the safety of everyone around me. I feel that BLIS is a huge help in that respect, especially BLIS that takes the trailer into account as well as the tow vehicle itself.

I'm certainly not suggesting that that's the only factor in making a final decision on tow vehicle; I'm just asserting that it's far more than bling. Other factors that are also important are price, interior comfort, road noise, warranty, reliability, fuel economy, fuel tank size, and I'm sure more that I'm not thinking of right at the moment. It's clear that I'm going to have to make some compromises regardless of which way I go when I pull the trigger in a couple weeks. As I'll be spending between $70,000 and $90,000, I want to make sure that the compromises I *do* make are made consciously :-)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #36
lunge motorsport

I've been researching the 450 for some time now so I'm not sure why I wrote 4:10 ratio when I replied but I stand corrected thank you.

"The 450 btw only offers a 4.30, not a 4.10" another poster said.

I also like all the goodies or "bling" that new trucks are equipped with. Blis sounds great, 360 deg camera...yes please, the Platinum would be my choice. Just look at the Marsala interior, Mmmmm.

I don't mind the 19.5 rims but only 6'' wide at the front? My 86' Jetta had 6'' wide wheels. I would like to see 8'' wheel width at least on the front. I'm ok with 24'' of rim width at the rear though. If I make the jump I'll look at available wheel sizing for the front. My GMC SRW 2500 came with 7.5'' wide wheels which were woefully undersized. I increased width to 9'' with the same tire and it was a completely different truck. Lots of folks increase tire width hoping for better stability but IMHO that is not the right solution.

I hope you find the truck that suits you best Eric, mine will be Magma Red if available.

Cheers
Old 01-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #37
EricHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motorsport View Post
I also like all the goodies or "bling" that new trucks are equipped with. Blis sounds great, 360 deg camera...yes please, the Platinum would be my choice. Just look at the Marsala interior, Mmmmm.

I don't mind the 19.5 rims but only 6'' wide at the front? My 86' Jetta had 6'' wide wheels. I would like to see 8'' wheel width at least on the front. I'm ok with 24'' of rim width at the rear though. If I make the jump I'll look at available wheel sizing for the front. My GMC SRW 2500 came with 7.5'' wide wheels which were woefully undersized. I increased width to 9'' with the same tire and it was a completely different truck. Lots of folks increase tire width hoping for better stability but IMHO that is not the right solution.

I hope you find the truck that suits you best Eric, mine will be Magma Red if available.
Cheers
Thank you! You're way past my current level of comprehension when you talk about wheel width. I'm barely at the point where I know I'd prefer 17" tires to 20" tires because they're more readily available in case I need to replace them.

My wife loves that marsala interior as well. I priced out a Platinum and it came out to be about $1,000 less than the limited, and I love that Limited interior.

We're heading to the Knoxville RV show on Friday, and while I don't expect to find my exact RV there, I do plan to place an order with a local dealer with which I've become impressed. I want Legacy package and a couple other things which means I'm having a hard time finding it on the lot. Then when we get back I'm going to take the RAM and the Ford on a longer test drive to make a final decision, and place my order there as well.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #38
msp2jxr

In IMHO the best feature on the Ford is the side mirrors that fold in with the push of the button,and use them frequently.. camp grounds, going into the garage and parking in parking lots. I will fold the mirrors in so people won't hit them walking by the truck. When I looked at Dodge and Chevy they didn't even offer them when I was looking. It is now a must on my check list.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #39
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2jxr View Post
In IMHO the best feature on the Ford is the side mirrors that fold in with the push of the button,and use them frequently.. camp grounds, going into the garage and parking in parking lots. I will fold the mirrors in so people won't hit them walking by the truck. When I looked at Dodge and Chevy they didn't even offer them when I was looking. It is now a must on my check list.
Our new to us 2016 Ram has the same feature, very nice.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #40
Frank G

Yep, Ford tow mirrors are the best, they all offer power folding mirrors.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford