Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #22
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL12377 View Post
Looking to purchase our first TT. 2019 Keystone Bullet 248 rks 29 ft 5160lb dry. Interested in purchasing 2019 Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 as our tow vehicle with a tow capacity of 7400 lbs. Is this a good match? Very new to this. I do understand that a truck would always be a better option but just curious about experiences with Cherokees and advice. Thanks
Are you planning a lot of long-distance traveling or will the majority of your camping be close to home?

We bought a 32-foot Cougar travel trailer about a year ago. I tow with a 2009 F-150 with a 4.6L 3V and 145-inch wheel base. The trailer is about 7,100 pounds ready to camp. Ford says the F-150 has a tow capacity of 9,000 pounds. It has plenty of power and braking is not a problem.

Having said that, it tows "alright." I'm pretty sure a 3/4 ton pickup would do a better job, but we do the majority of our camping at either of two lakes about 15 miles apart that are about 60-75 miles from home. We store the TT in a little town about half-way between. So since my longest tow is normally 8-10 miles each way the expense of upgrading to a bigger truck doesn't justify the need.

I suspect the OP would, at best, be in the same boat with the Grand Cherokee. Were I him/her, I would be looking hard at a Suburban/Expedition or better yet a 3/4 ton pickup.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote