Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Lic0rice

Undersized Tow Vehicles....Caution

Thought I would pass this along.

My brother is a senior adjuster with a national insurance company. I showed him my new 3500 over the holidays and he asked why I went so big. I told him the weight of our 5th (he has never seen it) and that I felt we needed the 3500 to pull it.

He stated that we made a wise choice. He then volunteered that they have denied claims and not stood behind policy holders that were involved in accidents when towing a trailer that exceeded the rated capacity of the TV and there was an indication that the over-weight situation contributed to the accident.

Not a situation I would ever want to face!!!
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for sharing. This is something that many on here have been warning will come, and rightfully so. It's also something that many who want to knowingly run overloaded or "stretch" the rules/limits need to pay attention to. Once denied by the insurance company for being overweight how do you dodge the civil suit? The criminal suit?? A thinking person just doesn't want to go there; I've got better things to do with my money than spend 100k trying to stay out of jail or paying off someone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
xrated

And that ^^^^ is the exact reason that I cancelled my plans for buying a 35' or so toy hauler and bought a T.T. type Toy Hauler. I ain't got time for no stinkin' lawsuits and financially draining me and my wife in our "golden years".
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
1jeep

First I will disclose I live in Ma which from what I understand is just as bad a cali when it comes to laws.

So I upgraded last year to a 350 dually for the same reason, my f250 did ok, but I knew I was over the GVWR. when I bought the truck I was forced by ma to register as commercial, as the law states 5 tires or more touching the ground must be registered this way. Then I had to get a commercial insurance policy which in turn brought up the questions from my insurance as to why I needed such a large truck? once they found out I tow and what size trailer my policy went up, at first I was a little peeved...honestly almost dropped them. then my agent explained they needed to know this to have enough coverage to protect me in case of an accident.

So I guess they are all starting to catch on, it wont be long before the state starts checking trailers and truck door plates.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
CWSWine

About 6 months ago had to go lawyers office over a business contract and we talk about vacations. I mention I had a 5th wheel and was doing a lot traveling. Then he said that I understand the over 50% of RV on the road over weight. I ask we he saw that and it was in legal journal and sure enough it had quote from RVSafety.com about RVs being over weight. I guess they legal profession is seeing another revenue stream.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
About 6 months ago had to go lawyers office over a business contract and we talk about vacations. ... I guess they legal profession is seeing another revenue stream.
With the proposed tort reform in the medical profession, lawyers are going to be looking for ways to supplement their decreased income. It's pretty much a "given" that the legal profession has "redefined medicine", now that it's no longer going to be their "cash cow" they will start looking elsewhere. The RV'ing public is one lucrative source, especially with our own publications (like RV Safety.com) leading the way to exposing the problem of overweight tow vehicles.....

All it will take is one small change in the commercial trucking laws to require ALL vehicles with a trailer to stop at weigh stations and the problem will either stop or become a reliable source for state governments.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With the proposed tort reform in the medical profession, lawyers are going to be looking for ways to supplement their decreased income. It's pretty much a "given" that the legal profession has "redefined medicine", now that it's no longer going to be their "cash cow" they will start looking elsewhere. The RV'ing public is one lucrative source, especially with our own publications (like RV Safety.com) leading the way to exposing the problem of overweight tow vehicles.....

All it will take is one small change in the commercial trucking laws to require ALL vehicles with a trailer to stop at weigh stations and the problem will either stop or become a reliable source for state governments.
Stopping at weigh stations would be a PIA but sure would open a lot of good camp sites! I sold a 6 month 8 day old F250 as it did not make the number and bought a new F350. It costs to play the game safely.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Stopping at weigh stations would be a PIA but sure would open a lot of good camp sites! I sold a 6 month 8 day old F250 as it did not make the number and bought a new F350. It costs to play the game safely.
^^^Every Rver needs to understand and adhere to this - I had to do the same.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Ordering a 3500HD in April to have before Memorial Day. Can't wait and it sounds like the timing couldn't be better.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Can't help but think how many guys reading this are showing the thread to their wives. I can hear it now, "Look honey, I don't want to get a new truck but we don't want to chance breaking the law !" Remember guys, keep a straight face!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I will make a few generalization's. So please do not say that's everyone. We live in a society with haves and haves not. In this case the haves, folks with homes, rvs, maybe pensions. Have nots, maybe do not even work. We all share the road. Many have nots do try to make a cash cow out of anything they can to anyone with things like homes, RVs, pensions. You hit them and sue is what happens. You can be at any percent of fault. I have hear people talk like that after many incidents.
Just last month a co worker hear that type of talk. Older guy, newer truck did not stop at red light and hit a POS (old beater) pickup with 2 people in it coming thru on a green light. Yeah the old guy was at fault. Minor damage to both due to low speed crash. The 2 wanted to go to the hospital and did so. My co worker goes to hospital for the interview. They tell him they expect to get a new truck from a settlement. Yes, new not a replacement or repair. And get paid for all medical costs. He asks the nurse if they are being admitted. She says NO and hell no, they have security coming to get them out. They were putting everything in the room into their pockets and wanting more tests and meds. The nurse even asks the co worker whats wrong with them. He tells her they think they won the lottery.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 AM   #12
roadglide

Insurance companies send out more junk mail and advertisement then any other companies wanting your money your need the coverage. This thread beware caution towing undersize TV, what about caution always wile towing? I seen advertisement with 5 lawyers in a group asking for business with claims of under insured drivers that's scary, there was nothing mentioned about newer TV over GVWR a few 200 lb.I do a lot of traveling and have seen trailer TV that shouldn't be on the road swaying terrible ,Fifver , classA struggling from being overloaded. Drive slow leave lots of room between you and the driver in front and know where your going Relax enjoy your travels.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #13
spicercars

You see overloaded trucks and suvs all the time on the road and in campgrounds. I would never want to be in that situation and have to worry about hurting myself my wife or anybody else. I can't tell you how many times I have been at an rv dealer and heard the salesman say you can pull that no problem. Do your homework before you buy and save the headache.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
Lic0rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
You see overloaded trucks and suvs all the time on the road and in campgrounds. I would never want to be in that situation and have to worry about hurting myself my wife or anybody else. I can't tell you how many times I have been at an rv dealer and heard the salesman say you can pull that no problem. Do your homework before you buy and save the headache.
When I was TV shopping, the salesman at the Dodge dealer in Boone NC didn't have a 3500 on the lot but he did have a couple of 2500s. He tried to tell me they would handle my 14k lb 5th. He then showed me a picture of a huge 5th wheel with a boat behind it being towed by a 2500. He claimed it was his dad's.

Buyer beware!!
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Sitting here in the campground at the moment across from the check in office. A guy with an older Nissan Titan is pulling a TT - probably 28 - 30'. No WDH, front of the trailer probably 4" off the ground (very nose down) and the front of the truck in the air. Old man and woman. Got to be a nightmare to pull and unsafe as all git out. Another one of those that will be swerving all over the road and by my observation, with a driver that is probably not up for it. All travelers beware and another reason we will all be under scrutiny before too long.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
the sodfather

My brother (a cop) and his wife (a nurse) just got back from a trip to Montana. On the way up there, they came upon an accident that had just occurred. A couple on scene said the travel trailer had been fish tailing big time before it flipped and crashed. They went to render aid but both elderly male and female were crushed in the vehicle. I'll spare the gory details...
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
My brother (a cop) and his wife (a nurse) just got back from a trip to Montana. On the way up there, they came upon an accident that had just occurred. A couple on scene said the travel trailer had been fish tailing big time before it flipped and crashed. They went to render aid but both elderly male and female were crushed in the vehicle. I'll spare the gory details...
Until about 15 years ago?? I pretty much felt bulletproof and never doubted myself on anything in anyway. Now, as I've matured and watched a lot of "life" take place around me, I realize that I just got by on luck alone. Luck is an extremely poor way to try to make it in life.

I hope that the things I've watched/experienced in life have made me thoughtful and thorough enough in my actions daily that I won't ever put myself, my wife or my puppy (kids are grown and gone) in the kind of situation described above. If my negligence resulted in the death of my wife, or some other innocent person, and not my own, I'm not sure how, or if, I could deal with that. We all need to pay attention to what we do with our RVs; they elevate our responsibilities and the requirement that we do everything possible to keep ourselves, and others, safe.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #18
CaptnJohn

Left NC for FL Friday. On I95 had a bottleneck. When I could pass ~~~ A TT pulled by an Escalade. The Escalade driven by a young man filled and a POD on top. The TT was 24' - 26'. He had to keep the speed at 50 or less as there was only a few inches before the receiver touched ground! Quebec plates.

Stopped for fuel and lunch and damn if did not find him again at the next (and only 2) bottleneck.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
Desert185

In all fairness, these mentioned accidents are in the minority and the exact cause in unknown. The old boy driving might have had a heart attack. We really don't know.

I'm not saying towing overweight is advisable, but it may not always be the smoking gun, so to speak.

I wonder why I never see anyone wearing a helmet while towing? Can't be too safe...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
CWSWine

If this is not acceptable Mods please delete.

Life is full of risk and you have a evaluate risk you will to accept and at what level. Towing over weight is just one risk in life i chose not to do. I think few years ago this wasn't much problem being over weight RVs on the road but as us baby boomers retire and buy bigger and bigger RVS I think lawyers are seeing a new revenue stream. It seems like over the last few years more and more ads willing to take cases that involve RVs. I'm sure overweight is not the smoking gun in legal case but I bet it can be contributing cause.

You will see people on here and other forums that are over weight just by using dry weights. A smart lawyer 6 months down the road could claim over weight. It is a slippery slop that I don't want anything to do with.

Here typical ad I'm seeing... https://www.kennethjannislaw.com/rv-accident.html
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle