Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #21
talk2cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
You'd be surprised. I've seen many, many trucks without a bed liner and I've heard many, many people say it's a truck, I bought it to use not to look pretty. Not everyone treats a $45k investment the same way.
I suspect you misspoke,
A vehicle (with the exception of a few rare instances) is NOT an investment. It is an expenditure. For many of us we care about the looks and maintain them to recover as much of our hard earned money as possible when resold. And for many it is used to work and work hard, wear out and disposed of. Now maybe buying a new Corvette and storing it for the next 25 years could be an investment, I for one want to use the things I buy, not lock them away for no one to see or use. Except for maybe the gold bricks I used in the foundation.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
I suspect you misspoke,
A vehicle (with the exception of a few rare instances) is NOT an investment. It is an expenditure. For many of us we care about the looks and maintain them to recover as much of our hard earned money as possible when resold. And for many it is used to work and work hard, wear out and disposed of. Now maybe buying a new Corvette and storing it for the next 25 years could be an investment, I for one want to use the things I buy, not lock them away for no one to see or use. Except for maybe the gold bricks I used in the foundation.
I "invested" in some cool cars when I was a kid, but I screwed the investment when I sold them to upgrade my ride. Had my eye on a Jaguar D-Type, but it was above my pay-grade at the time, and continues to be to this day.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
I suspect you misspoke,
How ever you want to look at. Let's just say some people burn through the expenditure faster than others. Personally, my truck is as nice today as the day I bought it. The amount of use I've gotten out of it and the amount of enjoyment my family has had camping exceeds the value that it has decreased so I say that's an investment.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

The conversation about a vehicle being an "investment" is sort of off point.

When you buy a car/truck, RV, boat, timeshare etc. it's not an investment unless you believe it has the possibility of increasing in value. All of the above don't. Therefore, they are an expenditure you make to invest in your "pleasure", "fun time" etc.

An "investment" is what you do with tangible things that appreciate in value; ie: stocks/bonds (no, they don't anymore) but more importantly, real estate.

RVs, boats and other toys should be bought knowing that they are depreciable toys and they only go down in value from the day you buy them. I've posted this before; use them, get your moneys worth and give them away. You get everything you hoped from whatever it is you bought, you make someone's day by giving them a gift and you remove yourself from the costs of maintenance etc. of whatever it is. Then, you can move forward and buy ANOTHER money pit!!

Note: the term "give them away" is used loosely. Maybe not literally give the toy away, but more don't fret about getting max return (particularly on boats/RVs); especially if it's given back to you what you had hoped to receive. I hope that makes sense........sort of
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #25
Model A Driver

Ad was a little extreme

I saw the ad and immediately thought who would drops cornered rocks directly and forcibly into a new truck bed. I camped next to a Ford mechanic last week. He told me many of the body parts have been aluminum for years. Maybe the Chevrolet does have a tougher bed but that would be the extent of it. Chevy ads have been a little on the over embellished side. Like the one on diesel exhaust brakes.
2000 Damon Challenger MH - Totaled by wrecker driver
Model A Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Driver View Post
I saw the ad and immediately thought who would drops cornered rocks directly and forcibly into a new truck bed. I camped next to a Ford mechanic last week. He told me many of the body parts have been aluminum for years. Maybe the Chevrolet does have a tougher bed but that would be the extent of it. Chevy ads have been a little on the over embellished side. Like the one on diesel exhaust brakes.
My 2002 Mustang hood was aluminum, so is the hood on my 2005 Mustang. If I remember correctly, our 1998 Mustang hood was also aluminum, but I can't remember for sure on that one.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #27
msp2jxr

I don't care wether its a dent or a hole I would still be ticked to find either in the bed of 50,000 dollar truck. Do the same thing again in the same spot and the steal will have a hole in too. Either way its a costly to have repaired.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

I've had vehicles with aluminum skin and don't know that it ever made any difference that I recall - especially with the light gauges of steel they use on vehicle bodies nowadays. Of course I treat all my vehicles very well.

My concern for the aluminum truck bed would be just how tough it actually is. Obviously if I drop a 400lb square object into either bed it's going to put a hole in it, but, the toolbox in the video is another story. Maybe it was rigged, maybe not, but it's something to think about. I don't do heavy duty stuff with my trucks anymore other than maybe put a fridge or something like that in it. I have dented a steel bed before but nothing bad and certainly nothing near penetrating it.

As some have observed, if you take good care of your truck and you're not in an industrial environment it probably is a moot point. I would worry about anyone trying to drill a hole thru the bed then use that as some sort of anchor point for heavy objects....but then again, I worry about most everything.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My 2002 Mustang hood was aluminum, so is the hood on my 2005 Mustang. If I remember correctly, our 1998 Mustang hood was also aluminum, but I can't remember for sure on that one.
The hood and deck lid of my 1999 GT and 2003 Cobra are both poly/plastic.

The Wife's 2013 F150 hood is aluminum, as I found out after the recent hail storms we had.

Our insurance adjuster told me they charge a 30% premium for aluminum bodied vehicles.

-Brian
Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #30
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Burst my bubble! LOL. I just read your post and hopped out into the garage with a magnet. The '98 GT hood is aluminum. I've had it for 18 years and never knew that.

And here we decided to get a 2016 F-350 partly because we didn't want to deal with any galvanic corrosion issues in the first few years that Ford may have to work out with the new aluminum bits and pieces while all along my mustang is partly aluminum.

As far as the Chevy commercial, all I can say is that any one of the big 3 truck manufacturers is going to put their truck in the best light possible while putting down the other brands. Personally, I always take any of those commercials with a grain of salt, too much can be "photoshopped" nowadays.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
The hood and deck lid of my 1999 GT and 2003 Cobra are both poly/plastic.

The Wife's 2013 F150 hood is aluminum, as I found out after the recent hail storms we had.

Our insurance adjuster told me they charge a 30% premium for aluminum bodied vehicles.

-Brian
I had heard about the upcharge for aluminum bodies, haven't encountered it and forgot about it. That is a consideration as well.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:47 AM   #32
Hansel

Interesting infomercial, I'm wondering what Fords response would be
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #33
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Has this video hit the tv commercials or is it just YouTube type delivery? If the video was 100% legit, I would expect gm to run it a lot on tv. Ford would have to respond.

If gm isn't running this on tv, is it because they are concerned about the response... or any "doctoring" they did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #34
Desert185

The commercial is on TV. No photoshopping or doctoring required. Its aluminum vs steel in the bed of a pickup. The result is predictable for anyone who has lived with either metal.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #35
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Interesting infomercial, I'm wondering what Fords response would be
I'm waiting in the same line ... waiting to see what Ford's response is.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #36
allmi01

I remember the last time Ford and GM got into this one upmanship war and it wasn't pretty. Back in the late 80's, the all new Silverado vs. the new old Ford.

I might be fun to watch but its counter productive. I think Ford learned that anything other than continuing the existing ad campaign and highlighting what is good about Ford vs. GM, well it will turn more people on than what GM is doing. Frankly, it turns some people off to GM products. When you can't win by touting your good points vs. the competition, then do what Ford did back in the 60's. They assessed their product against the competition and saw what they were doing wrong. They corrected it and 30+ year of being the #1 selling vehicle in America speaks for itself.

All this said, that kind of commercial would send me anywhere by GM.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Mike (and yes, I bleed Ford engine blue)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #37
jje1960

Video

I must say... I did giggle with watching the video. Seems like a mistake in marketing frankly, going after an industry leader with an innovative approach will I'm reasonably sure bite Chevy when they come out with their version.... Wonder what Ford will respond with when they do that..... Kind of ... 'desperate' way to gain or attempt to gain business. Just ones perspective.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #38
Hansel

Okay, I've had a few day's too ponder that I don't drop a bobcat load of brick's in my truck, I use a piece of plywood too protect the bed and my 5th wheel rail's when getting gravel, but the dropping of the toolbox is something that would be possible. Also the person buying a F-150 usually never put's them too work, now the Super Duty guy's might have a issue because they use a truck like a truck.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #39
denverpilot

I like all trucks but I really saw GMs as as a backfire. It essentially highlights that they haven't done anything interesting or risky since well before the bailout. Some would say "tried and true", some would say "yawn, same old truck with old tech". I'm leaning toward the latter camp.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

I honestly can't remember when I last had anything but camping equipment or a light load of laminate flooring or a washer/dryer (in boxes) in the back of my pickup. The past 5 or 6 trucks, when traded in, had maybe one scratch in the paint (inside the bed) except for the last three, which all had Line X (spray in bedliner).

My wife says we're "trailer poor" as I have a flatbed trailer (to haul the tractor and/or 4 wheelers/RZR), a dump trailer (to haul dirt/gravel/leaves/trash), a snowmobile trailer (to haul those toys) and a small utility trailer (for general "stuff"). I have a set of aluminum ramps (to load stuff in the bed). They have never been used (but I have them if ever needed).

Seldom does anything except a Champion generator, a couple water jugs, a blue waste tote, a fifth wheel hitch and possibly a little firewood ever see the inside of my truck bed.

I'd suspect that the vast majority of "recreational truck owners" will never even be subject to "dropping a tool box" 10' or so. Heck, most probably will never be parked "under such a heavy box" to begin with.

Now, for the "commercial truck crowd" it's a different story, but if you've ever been "anywhere near" and oil field, you'd know that a tool box is the last thing to damage a "hot shot truck".... The operator will do much more damage on a rutted gravel road than a tool box ever could......

"Work trucks" (if you want to call them that) are exposed to a much harsher environment that almost any "recreational truck" will ever see. They are frequently overloaded, tow loads much heavier than designed, sit idling for hours, travel on roads most of us wouldn't even consider driving, push snow plows that "destroy front ends" and generally are "used as tools" not as "vehicles". Don't go to Lafayette, LA or Houston, TX and look for a used diesel dually. Chances are most that you'd find are "beat to death" no matter the condition of the bed... Trucks aren't just "subject to bed damage" in most industrial environments. Use any truck (GM, Ford or RAM) in an environment like that and you'll find a lot more damage than just the inside of the bed.

GM chose an "isolated, constructed event" to demonstrate what they believe would be a "weakness" but failed to consider "the whole truck" in that "demonstration of weakness". Not intended to throw stones, but use a GM and a Ford in that kind of environment and I'm sure both trucks would suffer much more damage than "just the interior of the bed".....

Moral of the story: If a truck is going to be subject to damage from a tool box being dropped from that high, it's also going to be subject to damage from a lot of other sources. Don't just look for a hole in the bed, but look carefully for a bent frame, damaged axles, worn out brakes, dust/dirt ingestion in the engine and transmission damage (just to name a few).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote