Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #21
Tonkatoy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
So are you talking a full delete or did you guys just do a tune on stock setup? Assuming the downpipe comes with the delete...or can you change downpipe and keep def?

What gains did you see? Dead pedal is prob gone either way.?.?
I do not have an LML, mine is the LBZ. I do have Cory's tunes on my truck. The only things I had to delete was the EGR valve and the intake heater. I had an Edge Juice on my truck before and when I switched to EFI Live my fuel mileage went up 3 mpg both hwy and city.

You can get emissions intact tuning for the LML, but I don't think Cory offers it. I believe Idaho Rob and Duramax Tuner both do. When you delete your truck you have to buy everything separate, but some of the vendors may build a package for you. I recommend either PPEI or Alligator Performance. They are both very helpful and knowledgeable.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
hdrolling

My last truck (08 2500HD) had EFI live and there is no comparison. I got mine through ATP and had the 5 tunes by "Idaho Rob". After paying for everything You should do to make the EFI worth it I couldn't see paying for it all again when I picked up my Dually. I just use a PPE now with a mild tune, for heavy towing I got back to stock. EFI Live and PPE are both great, can't go wrong with either.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #23
billandjan

EFI Live is the best way to go, rather than a "canned tuner that plugs in to the OBD2 port"

I also highky recommend an Edge Insight CTS so you can monitor EGT.

Me personally, my LBZ works well enough as is, that I don't see the need to tune it.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
Desert185

I, for one, am heartened to see that hot rodding is still alive and well after all these years, the byproducts of which have contributed to modern-day power, mileage and reliability, while meeting ever increasing stringent bureaucratic regulations. Hot rodding is a human passion that has made contributions to the automotive world that are largely taken for granted.

One of my heros is Zora Arkus-Duntov. Ardun hemi heads on flatheads, Corvette, Duntov cams, and so on. He was brilliant. Google him. Belgian diversity immigrated to America. Thankfully, the diversity combined with assimilation into the American way was a continuously positive experience, not just for America, but the entire automotive world...something that isn't necessarily the case today.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #25
Hamops

When I bought my 2500HD D/A (LBZ), I figured that the engineers at GM had designed the DMax to give the performance that I paid for and I get it. It was an expensive option, so why should I try to outsmart the GM engineers and add a "tuner" and possibly jeopardize the engine for a few more horsepower and lb-ft of torque.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #26
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops View Post
When I bought my 2500HD D/A (LBZ), I figured that the engineers at GM had designed the DMax to give the performance that I paid for and I get it. It was an expensive option, so why should I try to outsmart the GM engineers and add a "tuner" and possibly jeopardize the engine for a few more horsepower and lb-ft of torque.
Simple, because most cars trucks and motorcycles sold today normally have to meet EPA standards and are tuned down at the factory. A simple tuner can be used for many other reason besides adding a tune that usually produces better fuel mileage as well as adding HP and TQ. Most let you check and clear codes, reset the transmission to relearn, change the tire size the get the correct speed and odometer reading if you use other than stock size wheels. And that's the base lever tuners, the high end tuners with custom maps that you request are night and day difference from stock.

Modding a vehicle to perform better than stock is not for everyone, some people are okay with good enough.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:07 AM   #27
bsmith0404

I have also discussed this with several transport drivers. We tend to put a lot of miles on our trucks, some well over 100k a year. The majority will say don't tune. Seems high mileage and tuning don't go hand in hand. They all have several horror stories of one guy or another that had reliability problems after tuning, there are a few exceptions. A few of the drivers have reached or are close to reaching the million mile mark without using tuners and swear it would not have been possible if they had.

On another note, they do believe in dumping all of the emission crap if you can get away with it. The horsepower of the diesels has been increased in recent years to compensate for the emissions. If you can get rid of that stuff, the motors are incredible. Some live in states with annual testing so it's not possible. Also a few states like CA have sniffers on some highway ramps so if you plan to travel in CA a lot, probably not a good idea either.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:25 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Duramax LML Best Tune or no Tune?

Sniffers on our on ramps? I doubt it, not saying they aren't there in heavy travelled areas (L.A.) but I don't see how they can detect emissions from ANY vehicle from the shoulder as it would be too far away.
Lots of times you can see a box on the shoulder with a sensor of some sort stretched across the road. Those just count vehicles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #29
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Sniffers on our on ramps? I doubt it, not saying they aren't there in heavy travelled areas (L.A.) but I don't see how they can detect emissions from ANY vehicle from the shoulder as it would be too far away.
Lots of times you can see a box on the shoulder with a sensor of some sort stretched across the road. Those just count vehicles.
Maybe it's more at the scales then. Which for the regular RVer that's not a concern, for a transporter it is. I just know it is a consideration for those in the industry.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #30
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
I get all of my technical info from " Chevy and GMC Duramax forum "
Yup Duramax forum, I use it regularly. Personally I'm leaving My LML alone except drive it and doing the maintenance.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #31
GMcKenzie

I'm running and Edge box on my 01. Also have the CTS. Besides the gauges and EGT, I find the truck just tows better. Before the box it would shift a lot more between 4th and 5th. With the box on 1, the hunting is way less.

I usually run on 1, mileage. Read on their site not to use tow mode if towing heavy so I don't.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote