Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
Rocketsled

Did I find my forever tow vehicle?

Saw this at the dealership and it got the gears turning in my head. I don't need butt massaging seats or satellite TV...and a whole lot more of the truck is going to payload. The taxes inherent in owning a commercial vehicle, and that "Incomplete Vehicle" note has me wondering about the legalities of making it a complete vehicle, but with the two fuel tanks, I'm betting it'd make a helluva TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	32691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	32692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	32693  
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
notanlines

You better like it when you buy it, because there aren’t many people in this world that would be interested in having it. Oh not to be too harsh, but that truck has very very little to offer in the way of amenities. Plus the engine is possibly detuned if it’s the 6.6.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
Rocketsled

At a certain level, it's a work truck. Pull the hitch off it, and sell it as such.

(It does have rubber flooring, you're right there.)
Old 04-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
You better like it when you buy it, because there aren’t many people in this world that would be interested in having it. Oh not to be too harsh, but that truck has very very little to offer in the way of amenities. Plus the engine is possibly detuned if it’s the 6.6.

Does your truck have a hood scoop?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
Javi

I know several people who use fleet trucks and put a work bed on them.

They make great tow vehicles for 5th wheels.

I don't spend money on stuff like heated seats, carpet or leather. I'd rather spend the money on a nicer trailer or travel.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I know several people who use fleet trucks and put a work bed on them.

They make great tow vehicles for 5th wheels.

I don't spend money on stuff like heated seats, carpet or leather. I'd rather spend the money on a nicer trailer or travel.
Well when your TV is your only vehicle, you do want some creature comforts, and as I call them handy features. Our Ram has backup camera and park sense, nice in a tight parking spot. It also has power folding, and heated mirrors, great with the Bullwinkle mirrors.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:03 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well when your TV is your only vehicle, you do want some creature comforts, and as I call them handy features. Our Ram has backup camera and park sense, nice in a tight parking spot. It also has power folding, and heated mirrors, great with the Bullwinkle mirrors.
My work truck has a button that says heated mirrors... owned this truck since March of '15 and still ain't figured out why there is a button to heat the mirrors..

I'm convinced that you don't really need all them doodads and gimmicks in a pickup... although the heater is nice for winter driver I could and have done without it.. DW gets mad at me 'cause I'd rather roll the windows down than turn on the a/c... but I do that at home too..
Old 04-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
vancouverbrian

There is absolutely nothing wrong in ordering a stripped down model of a pick up truck for many reasons but especially cost. But, I would recommend ordering the truck and putting in exactly what options you want/need at whichever trim level is comfortable for you. So you get a work truck that is customized for you. Once you start changing a truck after it is built, there are too many costs and problems. And you may never get the truck you really want.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #9
Rocketsled

And could completely undo any cost savings you thought you were getting.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My work truck has a button that says heated mirrors... owned this truck since March of '15 and still ain't figured out why there is a button to heat the mirrors..

I'm convinced that you don't really need all them doodads and gimmicks in a pickup... although the heater is nice for winter driver I could and have done without it.. DW gets mad at me 'cause I'd rather roll the windows down than turn on the a/c... but I do that at home too..
The heat will defrost, and dry rain also.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:06 AM   #11
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The plan (and it changes nearly hourly these days) is to keep the 3/4 ton because it's my wife's DD and she loves it dearly...and have a 1 ton where the payload isn't a factor, it's so high. We currently have a well optioned Acadia as well...so it's 'can you live without the creature comforts when you're away from the home-base'...and it the plan is to RV where it's comfortable, when it's comfortable, I don't need the heated steering wheel.

At least at this point in my life, I don't see living full time...it's just not my bag.

But when push comes to shove, I'll probably 'settle' for a fully optioned 3 year old one-ton for the same kind of money.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Saw this at the dealership and it got the gears turning in my head. I don't need butt massaging seats or satellite TV...and a whole lot more of the truck is going to payload. The taxes inherent in owning a commercial vehicle, and that "Incomplete Vehicle" note has me wondering about the legalities of making it a complete vehicle, but with the two fuel tanks, I'm betting it'd make a helluva TV.
It’s got potential but by the time you outfit it with a bed( unless your able to fabricate it yourself) I would think your pushing into the price of a stripped down dually with a standard pickup bed...it would make sense if you could find a retired fleet truck for less then half the price..some gov agencies buy trucks and maintain them but hardly use them at all..pick up at an auction or reseller
Old 03-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
It’s got potential but by the time you outfit it with a bed( unless your able to fabricate it yourself) I would think your pushing into the price of a stripped down dually with a standard pickup bed...it would make sense if you could find a retired fleet truck for less then half the price..some gov agencies buy trucks and maintain them but hardly use them at all..pick up at an auction or reseller
Apparently Craigslist isn't the right place to be looking for them. All the Work Trucks there look like they've been used...hard...

I used to work for the DOT. Once, all the Fleet Tauruses were checked out and they threw me the keys to one of the trucks. Never have I felt more power. I could go.....ANYWHERE!

(The fact the orange paint on the inside of the cab was the same as the orange paint on the outside of the cab....because it was a single sheet of steel...was not lost on me.)
Old 03-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

You can special order a Chevy 6.6l 4x4 DRW "work truck" built to tow a fifth wheel (pucks in the bed with spray in bedliner) with "basic conveniences" like cruise, upfitter switches, electric windows, remote start, etc) for an MSRP of $48K. You should be able to negotiate a price close to the asking price on that truck (and this one comes with a factory bed)... https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/sil...-price/summary

The "bed delete option" reduces the truck by about $1300. You won't find a "aftermarket bed" for less than around $5K, so even though that truck is under $50K, it's going to be a $55K truck by the time you put "something flat" behind the cab....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Buy it, install a dump bed and go make money.
BTY, there is a dealership in Oregon that sells lots of pickups beds from newer pickups. I asked the owner once why?. He goes to Alaska every year and buys the beds they took off pickups going to the pipe line. All colors and nearly new new.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #16
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Buy it, install a dump bed and go make money.
BTY, there is a dealership in Oregon that sells lots of pickups beds from newer pickups. I asked the owner once why?. He goes to Alaska every year and buys the beds they took off pickups going to the pipe line. All colors and nearly new new.
Sorry, didn't read all the posts, but this one struck a cord with me.

I would be VERY leery of putting a pickup box on a cab/chassis.

I was a service manager at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership back in the late 70's early 80's and the general manager got a great deal on a cab/chassis for a friend. He told him that we had an as new dually box that we took off of a sister John Deere dealership delivery that was made into a flat bed. Look good in theory, but the rear wheel track is different on a cab/chassis than on a 1 ton dually with factory box. We ended up swapping complete rearends to get the job done. As I remember the cab/chassis rearend is narrower than a 1 ton dually with factory box.

I know lots of guys strip off a box to make their welding beds, but just be fore warned that they may not fit the other way around. Take LOTS of measurements first. Things may be different now, but I would still be very careful before purchasing with that purpose in mind.

I think there was/is a company called Western Hauler that makes larger trucks into gooseneck/fifth wheel haulers with adding short custom beds on cab/chassis trucks.
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #17
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can special order a Chevy 6.6l 4x4 DRW "work truck" built to tow a fifth wheel (pucks in the bed with spray in bedliner) with "basic conveniences" like cruise, upfitter switches, electric windows, remote start, etc) for an MSRP of $48K. You should be able to negotiate a price close to the asking price on that truck (and this one comes with a factory bed)... https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/sil...-price/summary

The "bed delete option" reduces the truck by about $1300. You won't find a "aftermarket bed" for less than around $5K, so even though that truck is under $50K, it's going to be a $55K truck by the time you put "something flat" behind the cab....
Sticking this in my back pocket for later.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Saw this guy ..looks like a mad max rig..plenty of fuel though..guess he made it himself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	247AF91C-E2A4-481B-A736-F0F50AA74356.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	32752   Click image for larger version

Name:	E5C9DCBC-F23B-4B54-A45C-3B53F5D7D9E6.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	32753  
Old 03-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #19
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Saw this guy ..looks like a mad max rig..plenty of fuel though..guess he made it himself
Handy for jump starting, too.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #20
rhagfo

This would be my dream hauler. It is a bit long as it has an 18" aux tank behind the Mega Cab, and in front of the long 8' bed. It is built on a 5500 cab chassis.

Tags
tow, tow vehicle