Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
rheltzel

Vantage Roof Issue

After seeing the posts about the roof/tape issue, last week I went to our storage lot with a step ladder and checked our 32 FLS roof...it has the same peeling tape/sealant issue as described above. Today I took the trailer back to the dealership and they promised to fix it under warranty. We'll see. I'll post the outcome for everyone to see.

We purchased our trailer in July and have taken several extended trips with it. So far, we only had minor issues with it, all fixed cheerfully (and under warranty) by our dealer.

We love the trailer...tows like a dream and gets lots of comments while on the road. Perhaps Keystone pulled the plug too quickly...
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Gyrene4Life

Well, we picked our trailer up this morning and it seems that everything was taken care of. The seams on the front and rear caps have a good coat of dicor over the them and hopefully I wont have to mess with them for a few months until I get back up on the roof for my regular maintenance.

The stress cracks were filled, sanded and painted. It all looks great.

All of the repairs were covered under warrantee and totalled just over 2k dollars. I am glad we found these issues before it got out of hand.

On a side note, placed in the lessons learned pile, when ever you drop off your trailer for any maintenance...clean out your fridge/freezer. My DW spent a few hours this afternoon cleaning/airing out the trailer. It wasn't pleasant.

Retired Marine
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC, 3.73 Rear, Firestone Ride Rite Suspension.
2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
ProPride 3P
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
Gyrene4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
rheltzel

Vantage Roof Issue

Picked up our trailer today. The dealership fixed the roof issue by removing the tape and replacing with Dicor. They said our situation prompted them to check their one remaining Vantage trailer in inventory and they found the same problem. I can only assume they will fix it before selling to some unsuspecting buyer. For now, this story has a happy ending. Time will tell the real story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-13_13-40-12_31 (1).jpg
Views:	355
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2215  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
Gyrene4Life

Glad to hear things work out for you rheltzel. I haven't heard of a single one yet that didn't have this issue. I would be curious as to how the 2013s are coming from the factory.

Heading out to Key West in the morning now that things are back in good working order.

Merry Christmas all

Retired Marine
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC, 3.73 Rear, Firestone Ride Rite Suspension.
2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
ProPride 3P
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
Gyrene4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
hankpage
Site Team

Glad to hear that Keystone is standing behind their warranty on this problem.

Gyrene4Life, Behave yourself in Key West. I don't want you to end up on the "Naughty List" at the last minute. Travel safely and enjoy the holidays, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
rschad

roof seam issue

Earlier I posted that my 29rls didn't have an issue. Today I checked the roof and splits in the tape are now occurring, like those mentioned on this thread, on the rear seam. I will be taking to dealer and getting seams replaced before I have an issue.

glad I was reading about this issue.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #27
Snowball

Vantage back on Keystone website

Just to let everyone know that as of tonight when I checked the Keystone website the Vantage was back under the Travel Trailer models. I am very relieved as we love our 32FLS and hope the line continues.

We did also have the tape issues on the roof and it was fixed by the and covered under warranty.
Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
floatflyer

Roof caulking

After following this thread I finally had a chance to check my roof seams. I have no cracks but did find that the caulking at the seam tape ends does not adhere to the tape. I will discuss this with the dealer and have them fix it. And will keep a close eye on the roof seams.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
neilnj

Good Greif..

I purchased a Vantage 32FLS in July of 2012. Now i am concerned about the roof as well. I will be up on it this week as I am planning a 3 week trip, leaving Feb. 15th. We already had the front door and frame replaced as it kept flying open (with it locked) driving down the road. We had a punch list with a few dozen items needing attention. I wanted the stainless back splash behind the stove but they said i couldn't order it.. yeah, okay!
My wife and I love the trailer but a little nervous about it being new on the market.
We added a hitch to the back so we could mount a rack to carry the generator. The outside cargo area is too small in height to stow a generator.
My son replaced the rear most frame cross member (super thin) with 1/4" rectangle tubing with identical mount points with a 2" hitch receiver. Works great! Hope I didn't void the warranty.
We have used the trailer several times and its been great.
Couple things..
Changed the 12V bulbs over the dinette to LED.
Replaced the single series 24 battery with 2 series 27 Deep cycle.
Added a strap to the roll out drawer/spice rack as it comes open often.
Keep one 30-pound tank off so you know when it runs out. No fun when they both run out in cold weather because the OEM auto-switch isn't smart enough to notify you.
Happy trails! I hope i make my 3000 mile trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-01-11_13.48.20.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2351   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-11_16.01.47.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	2352   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-27_11.23.26.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120818_125829.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2354  
neilnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
neilnj

Vantage 32FLS roof issues

So, After reading about some of you having issues with the seams on the roof I had my son go up and take a few pics.. To my dismay I have similar problems. I dropped the Vantage off today and will see what they do about it. I took delivery on the 32FLS this past August so I'm expecting warranty repairs. I will post when and how they resolve the issue which better be before the 14th since we are headed to Fla. for 3 weeks with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-02-02_14.27.46.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	2365   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-02_14.28.08.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	2366   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-02_14.29.10.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	2367   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-02_14.29.51.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	2368   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-02_14.30.24.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	2370  

Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
neilnj

Vantage roof

So, The dealer said it's normal for the roof to look this way, I said wrong answer. I emailed Keystone with my concerns and pics.. sure enough, they called me and said they were sending the repair parts to the dealer for a proper repair.
there is always hope!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
Dskizs

Ok we have been going back and forth evergreen element or vantage 24' is the roof a problem on the 24' and is you problem fixed. Buying in the next 6 months and need the vantage height. My husband is 6'6".

Is this fixed? We are debating evergreen element or vantage. Husband is 6'6" and we need the height of vantage. Plus we like the modern interior. Is it only the 19' we want the 26'. Anyone? Help!

Is this problem fixed? Is there a problem with the 26' vantage? Someone please respond! Thanks we are planning to buy one.
Dskizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #33
rheltzel

Vantage Roof Issue

We've now had our 32FLS fixed under the recall (thanks to the heads up in this blog, I became aware of the issue early on and had it fixed by the dealer before the recall, but it was a half-assed job compared to the recall specs).

I am confident the roof issue is fixed and have no further worries about it. I would not use it as the determining factor between the two trailers. I would use floor plan and which one you like the best for all other reasons, including price.

The Vantage line was short lived (the figure I've heard is a production run of around 400) and as such, long term issues that might have become known and corrected as production continued are unknown. Hopefully, there won't be any more issues like the roof recall, but if there are, Keystone will continue to stand behind their product.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
RJCaptain73

Anyone have after repair pics?

Thanks in advance, our Vantage is currently in the shop waiting for parts to be sent from Keystone.
RJCaptain73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #35
RJCaptain73

Recall repairs made!

The shop did a real nice job of re-sealing the end caps on out 29RLS. I'll post some pics as soon as I get back up on the roof with my camera! We haven't had any issues except the pantry that would slide out on its own but the shop fixed that too with some additional hardware.
RJCaptain73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
outwest

took 32FLS to a different dealership than where we bought and roof recall repair was done and looks like they did a good job. They also had to repair stress cracks on sides of rear cap and some other issues as well.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, roof repair, vantage