Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #41
buzzcop63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
To skip the long story of why, I am curious to hear from anyone out there that has or is towing a TT or 5er with a 2 wheel drive pickup.

If you are never camping anywhere with snow or.bad roads,
does it make a difference other than towing capacity? Are there any benefits of towing with one versus another?

Thanks for any feedback.

Wallace
Why we purchased 2 wheel drive, passenger and cargo weight goes up, lower cost, less weight, better ride. Have no need for 4 wheel drive, parks we visit are local and only in the summer. If you are ever going to need 4 wheel drive for your trips buy it as two wheel will not get you and a trailer out of the mud or snow.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #42
bajaron

It's one of those don't need it 95 percent of the time but when u do great to have. Been towing for over 45 years and only needed it a few times.
bajaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #43
Big1

Thank you for your service sir.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #44
bbells

When I bought my first airplane the leading advice was to get something that satisfies 90% of your needs. I very rarely use the 4wd in my truck when towing. But, I hate towing when it is icey out. That is the only time I have ever used it. So, 99.99% of the time I don't need it. Lesson: If the roads are icey or full of snow, drive slower.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #45
rs1718

Always had 4wd trucks until 2015 when I got a ram 3500 dually 2wd. Unless you go off road 2wd is a much better ride.
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #46
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
To skip the long story of why, I am curious to hear from anyone out there that has or is towing a TT or 5er with a 2 wheel drive pickup.

If you are never camping anywhere with snow or.bad roads,
does it make a difference other than towing capacity? Are there any benefits of towing with one versus another?

Thanks for any feedback.

Wallace
My Tow vehicle for my last 5th wheel was a 2wd F250 7.3 diesel. The 5th wheel weighed in at 13,000lbs. I never had any real problems as long as I stayed on civilized roadways and in fair climates. My current 5th wheel is 16,000 lbs and my truck is an F350, dualiiy,, with a 7.3 gas and 4wd. The 4wd offsets the low end torque of the diesel when.starting off in dirt or gravel. The 4wd will consume a bit more fuel but the gas engine saves in fuel costs as it burns regular that typically runs $0.60 ~ $1.00 less per gallon over diesel. Maintenance in the gas engine is expected to be less as well.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #47
kaydo36

If no bad roads as you say, you’re fine with 2wd. I’ve been full time for 7 months towing with a 2wd van and have gotten stuck in mud or sand four times, but I go on a lot of bad roads.

If you’re buying, buy 4wd because you never know. If you’re just checking if your vehicle is good, it probably is as long as your weight is good.
kaydo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #48
ADQ K9

"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." Needless to say even in the suburbs of Los Anchorage when snow comes in October and leaves in April. I have it for that added traction when needed.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #49
Miloski

I tow and haul with a sixteen year old Ford 2x4 and have had no trouble. There's been a few times I wished I had four wheel drive but not enough to buy a new truck. I'm sure you know your payload is larger on a 2x4. I put 4.30 to help get started. If I can't get into a site boondocking with my truck, then my trailer doesn't belong there either. Saying that, If I was to buy a new truck with the latest tech I would for the convenience. Therefore, remodel your wife's kitchen so you can buy this truck that you want and are looking for us to tell you that you need to do! 🤣
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #50
JGEORGE

Towed our 18ft Milan with a short bed reg cab 2wd 1500 Silverado for 5yrs. Only 3-5 trips a year. It did fine. I bought a 4wd 2500hd just to have a little more truck than we need for the new trailer. As long as you know where your going and the roads your traveling I think you'd be fine. I do feel better knowing we have the 4wd to rely on if roads get sketchy. Plus its nice to explore dirt roads around some of our deeper in the woods campgrounds.
JGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #51
LHaven

For years, we did our towing with a 2500 Suburban 4WD. When we ventured into our first pickup, DW was adamant it be 2WD (the Suburban's auto hubs were a maintenance headache). We drove that F-150 for a few years, did very little trailering. We did trailer out to a business convention in Denver where the only camping available was miles away in Black Hawk, up in the mountains. The access road was a straight grade, and turned to dirt. Our problem wasn't power, but traction. We got through it. (Later we found a paved access road with better grading beyond where we had turned off.)

When we found we had to upgrade to an F-250, DW still wanted 2WD, but there wasn't one available with our other requirements in the entire state. I was so happy.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #52
ron4jon

I prefer 2wd

I’ve had several trucks with 4wd but I now prefer 2wd WITH limited slip rear axle and good traction tires..! Great gas mileage and lower cost plus great traction even on wet pavement like boat launch with a 24 foot boat..!
ron4jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow