Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #41
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
Unfortunately you can’t spend money on roads and infrastructure when you use the money to buy votes.

LOL! Dang I wish there was a like button.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #42
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Work on your existing rig.
Trailer -Dexter ez ride or Morryde equalizers , pin box change to something with flex ( roto flex, morryde or an air ride), tire pressure set to max load.

Truck- sulastic shackles, air bags adjusted to get you just onto the overloads, better shocks, tire pressure set to max load.

Trailer changes helped a lot ( I did dexter equalizers and moryde flex pin box)
Sulastic shackles helped with empty ride, shocks and tire pressure helped as well.
Things that worked for me.

2008 Goldwing
When you state tire Pressure set to Max, are your refering to 80 psi from the sidewall max, or the Payload sticker 65 psi for the 9,500# or so max axle load??

If you are going to 80 psi, your tires are over inflated, your TH 5th wheel starts with a 2,915# pin and with toys in the back might make 3,200# to 3,500# you are nowhere near 9,500# on your rear axle, and the inflation for 9,500# is 65 psi.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
I'm glad I asked this question! I had no idea it'd spur so many different comments, but I'm glad. Let me add some information that some of you have asked:

I have an 2013 F350 DRW, extended bed. When I bought the truck (used), I put on a B&W 5th wheel hitch.

I'm pulling a 2016 37 ft Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. I recently had it weighed at a CAT scale. Here are the weights:

Pickup:

Front wheels: 5080 lbs
Rear wheels: 6120 lbs

Cougar:

Pin load: 2200 lbs
Each Axle: 5160 lbs

As for tire pressures:

Truck Tires: 80 psi cold
Cougar Tires: 80 psi cold

Now here's a summary of what I've learned, and what I'll consider doing:

1. My truck tires are overinflated. The sticker calls for 65 psi each. I'm interested in reading more about load charts. I cannot find a chart that specified what kind of pressure to use for a given load. Please point me to something.

2. My 5th wheel hitch has no absorbing capability, nor does the pin box on the Cougar. I'll look into options based on many of your suggestions.

3. The damage done to the 5th wheel because of all the vibrations is extensive. One of the slideouts almost takes a wall out with it every time it moves in and out (currently at the shop for repair). One of the hanging pendant lights broke from the ceiling. An emergency window fell off while driving. And that's only the start of it. I will DEFINITELY be looking into MorRide options. I realize that the suspension on a 5th wheel is like a foundation of a house -- if it's not right then nothing else will be right.

4. I will keep the Cougar, and not even think about a class A.

Another question: Someone recommended that I load the F350 with a couple TONS of bricks to smooth out the load. The rear axle on the 350 is currently at 6120 lbs, while the maximum load is 9650 lbs. I can't imagine hauling around a bunch of bricks. I wonder if I should considering changing the rear suspension of the truck for a max rear axle weight of, say, 7000 lbs?

Thanks for all your help!
Yes, your truck tires are extremely overinflated! you are at 80 psi where 65 psi is for a rear axle at about 9,650# you are at 6,120# about 3,500# light. In reality your rears should be closer to 50 psi to 55 psi so over inflated by about 25 psi.

The other issue I see is your 5er is pin light! your pin of 2,200# on a total 5er weight of 12,520# which is 17.5%, you should be closer to 22% or slightly heaver. I am at 2,700# on 12,500#.

I would not make changes to the suspension, just lower your tire pressure.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #44
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

The other issue I see is your 5er is pin light! your pin of 2,200# on a total 5er weight of 12,520# which is 17.5%, you should be closer to 22% or slightly heaver. I am at 2,700# on 12,500
THIS! I have an F450. Besides the 5th wheel, I tow a lot of construction equipment. If you don't get the weight on the pin, the ride will be rough and every bump in the road will cause an oscillation that makes the ride horrible.

Move some weight forward in your trailer. It will help.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
bobnelms

Well okay, I'll look at which loads I can move forward -- but I can't image what they might be. What can I move? The pantry is in the rear. The refrigerator load can't be moved. There's just not that much to be moved.

Also, yes I am having a rough ride in the truck. But as many of you are saying, IT'S A TRUCK -- so I can live with some roughness.

The largest problem I'm having is with the 5th wheel trailer itself!

As I said, I'm going to look into a much better suspension system, as many of you have suggested.

Thanks again,
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #46
pitman44

Quote:
Well okay, I'll look at which loads I can move forward -- but I can't image what they might be. What can I move? The pantry is in the rear. The refrigerator load can't be moved. There's just not that much to be moved.

Also, yes I am having a rough ride in the truck. But as many of you are saying, IT'S A TRUCK -- so I can live with some roughness.

The largest problem I'm having is with the 5th wheel trailer itself!

As I said, I'm going to look into a much better suspension system, as many of you have suggested.

Thanks again,

More heavy stuff in the basement will help tongue weight.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #47
Brentw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
When you state tire Pressure set to Max, are your refering to 80 psi from the sidewall max, or the Payload sticker 65 psi for the 9,500# or so max axle load??

If you are going to 80 psi, your tires are over inflated, your TH 5th wheel starts with a 2,915# pin and with toys in the back might make 3,200# to 3,500# you are nowhere near 9,500# on your rear axle, and the inflation for 9,500# is 65 psi.
Yes, my written is not what I was thinking. My intent was to say inflate to max actual load. I moved from Ds to E load rating on trailer and inflate to sticker number, not tire max inflation. On truck, front is near gvaw, so pressure to sticker. Rear, if I correctly recall, I'm approx 7500#, so 50-55 # will carry that.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #48
Roscommon48

Since Bob is now talking about a better trailer suspension (he's figured out a truck is a truck) I'd suggest the I/S for about $7K.

Or at least look at the different hitches out there that promise a better ride.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #49
G Giroux

Chuggig 5er

Before spending to much time and money...have you considered.
Is your 5th wheel properly adjusted to minimize the slack in the head and slack at the pin/jaw.
My Husky 16KW manual does address this issue. You may find a similar manual on line for your set up.
Also a teflon disk does tighten things a little bit (1/8").

PS love Key West weather, -14 this morning, good news no blackflies or mosquitoes today.
Good luck from Canada
G Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post

PS love Key West weather, -14 this morning, good news no blackflies or mosquitoes today.
Good luck from Canada
Negative 14??? That's 7F. I don't think it's ever been that cold in Key West, at least not since the last Ice Age.... I'm hoping you meant 14C (58F)......

At -14C, not only would you not see black flies or mosquitoes, almost all the humans would have fled, expired or be huddled around the open oven door trying to stay warm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #51
G Giroux

Yes, -14 C (~6F), in Burlington, Ontario. Just came out of a little winter storm on the weekend. I would love to be in Key West just about now. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #52
bkorb

Rough ride

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel -- 37 ft long. I pull it with a F350 dually.

We just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys, and am just about ready to call it quits with my 5th wheel and dually. The jars, bumps, etc. are so bad that it ruins the whole trip. On the last leg of our journey, we actually lost a window! It is routine to find cough cushions all over the place. When we open up our cabinets, we have to watch out because things will fall out due to the jarring.

And the ride in the truck is no better. I'm sick of getting jarred out of my seat! My wife gets headaches all the time because her neck gets effected.

I'm ready to consider a class A, since I've heard their ride is much smoother.

But before I do, here's my question: Have any of you been able to modify the suspension of your 5th wheels and trucks to alleviate these severe vibrations?

Thanks!

I have a 35 ft. Sprinter 5th wheel pulling with a 2015 GMC Denali 3/4 ton short box. I have an Anderson ultimate hitch and I love it, the ride in the pickup is great. I have gone through some rough places and had things thrown around in the camper, but that was my fault and would recommend the Anderson hitch to anyone.
bkorb is offline   Reply With Quote