Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

It's always funny.

Even pull throughs the wife back there flapping her arms & the guy getting out yelling at her.
Had kind of a tight spot to back in today, she say you want me to go back there, naw just sit tight it's OK.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Careful cruiser.
You don't want to be the "entertainment" for some other guy watching you back into a "tight spot" and you hit something with DW in the truck.
He will just mumble to himself about how you should have used her help.
In my former profession we had rules to live by (literally). We added our own, "if you think it can't happen to you, think again".
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
We added our own, "if you think it can't happen to you, think again".
RMc
Been there.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

x2 on the DW flailing her arms like she just stepped on a bees nest. On a different post someone was talking about their DW helping with the blank tank. Don't get me wrong I love my wife dearly but there's no way I want her messing with hoses when she doesn't know left from right.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
notanlines

It more than likely has kept them together for 40-50 years. Yelling and arm flapping will do that....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
FlyingAroundRV

We use a pair of cheapo walkie-talkies from WallyWorld. Works a treat. The DW says "back an inch, left a bit" and all is good. We gave up the hand waving after about the third CG. Usually the DW was out of sight of the mirrors most of the time.
I always get out and make my appraisal of where I want to go and how to get there. DW just watches that I don't hit something I can't see. The WTs are really good though for getting the ball lined up with the hitch...we don't have a backup camera.
Edit: the only problem is that the DW is technology challenged and forgets to let go of the PTT button sometimes, or forgets to press it when she wants to say something.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
bobbecky

Our truck has the bluetooth system where it connects to my cell phone, and my DW will just call me after she gets out, and we can talk while I back in to a spot. If there is a problem, I just stop and get out to see for myself how to maneuver safely.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

We tried the walkie talkies and yup she would forget to push the PTT or forget to let go. We used cell phone and blue tooth but cell signal can be elusive in many cg's. The camera install on the back of the camper was the best investment. Now when we pull up to a site my DW will ask if I need her help and I'll say yes dear, you can help me by standing out of the way and making sure the dog doesn't get run over. She feels good that she's helping and I don't have the distractions. (I guess I've learned something in 39 1/2 years of marriage)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Our truck has the bluetooth system where it connects to my cell phone, and my DW will just call me after she gets out, and we can talk while I back in to a spot. If there is a problem, I just stop and get out to see for myself how to maneuver safely.
^^^^This is what we do. Used to use walkie talkies but like the Bluetooth in the truck. Really liked when the backup camera was in the big 8.4" screen but this truck has the bed camera so the backup camera is in the corner of the rear view mirror which is almost useless.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Guess my wife is different. She knows if she can see my mirrors, I can see her. She knows when to make me stop to get out and look for myself.

Tried the walkie talkies, but don't really find we need them.

She's not touching the hookups though.

Love to have a camera on the trailer. Next one will have it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

When my wife tries to guide me in by yelling and waving her arms in circles, I get confused. I prefer to back up with no witnesses. I can do it if left to it long enough and nobody watching. Slow... correct.... pull forward a bit, REPEAT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sorry.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	23795  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Guess my wife is different. She knows if she can see my mirrors, I can see her. She knows when to make me stop to get out and look for myself.

Tried the walkie talkies, but don't really find we need them.

She's not touching the hookups though.

Love to have a camera on the trailer. Next one will have it.
I installed the camera soon after buying the camper. Found it was a great help with the 35 1/2' trailer backing into some of the older cg in the east that were built for 55' Buick pulling 19' camper. I also use my parking aid that I made when backing into some VERY tight spots. I took a rope the length of the trailer and tied/taped rope at 90 deg where each slide out wall extends that are the length of the slideout. Once positioned on the ground I leave there and use it as a back up aid in the mirror. One particular trip to Gettysburg PA (Granite Hill CG) did it. The site was a nightmare, it took about 40 min to get both slides out AND the outside kitchen open due to the layout with the old growth trees. I should have taken pics but by the time I was finished I needed some PTSD therapy. One tree in between the 2 slides with ,1" clearance and the outside kitchen door opened to less than 1/4" of hitting a tree. I was so angry we never returned to that CG.😣
Old 09-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #13
vampress_me

I guess we do like GMcKenzie does. DH and the kids know that if they can’t see the truck’s mirror I have no clue where they are. Hubby of course knew about that already and knows where to stand all the time so I can see him. Kiddos learned real quick if helping mom back in that if I just stop moving, they need to figure out and move to where they can see one mirror or the other. Hand signals used for direction work good for us too.

We tried radios once. Decided they were more of a pain than they were worth.

Of course, the lady last weekend that sounded like she could cheerfully kill her hubby while “directing” his backing while shouting at him was a little entertaining to listen to, sort of. But I am amazed her hubby put up with it.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
NavyDiver1980

I have new fangled hearing aids that have a blue tooth microphone. I can hear her just fine with it up to about 20meters.

Jim, Therese, Gilligan and Ginger (mini-Dachshund)
2015 F-250 CC Lariat 2WD 6.2l gas
Pullrite Superglide Hitch
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI Fifthwheel
NavyDiver1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDiver1980 View Post
I have new fangled hearing aids that have a blue tooth microphone. I can hear her just fine with it up to about 20meters.
But do you want to
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
UsTwo

I tried to explain to my wife what I needed to get backed into any spot.. She did the arm flapping junk for about a year.. I would let her flap away and then get out and look. She felt so bad about not getting it right. So we went back through the process again.. I said its like this, If you can't see me in the mirrors or vise versa I can't see you.. If I can't see you I will stop and let you look like a fool back there waving arms and yelling..I did remind her the fun of others watching her help. She does a really good job now.. I even got her a small PVC pole that has been marked and taped off, so she can judge how far away from the Elec. outlet we need to be..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
Laredo Tugger

I liked your PVC pole idea until I realized I would be handing the DW something else she could hit me with. Think I'll go with yarn.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^This is what we do. Used to use walkie talkies but like the Bluetooth in the truck. Really liked when the backup camera was in the big 8.4" screen but this truck has the bed camera so the backup camera is in the corner of the rear view mirror which is almost useless.
My wife refuses to let me pair her phone to her truck because she "doesn't want to be distracted while she is driving." She also hates to use her backup camera, preferring the mirrors. Today, we had a particularly stressful session hooking up the ProPride hitch (which is like threading a hot dog into a donut in 3D), because she also left her hearing aids in the trailer.

Sigh.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

"because she also left her hearing aids in the trailer."

A few years ago my DW was on my case and accused me of "mumbling" and "slurring" my words. Funny thing, after she got her hearing aids my speech improved dramatically!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
My wife refuses to let me pair her phone to her truck because she "doesn't want to be distracted while she is driving." She also hates to use her backup camera, preferring the mirrors. Today, we had a particularly stressful session hooking up the ProPride hitch (which is like threading a hot dog into a donut in 3D), because she also left her hearing aids in the trailer.

Sigh.
I've never heard anyone compare hitching a ProPride to hotdogs and donuts, but I think you've probably come closer to the frustration of hitching up than any account I've read in recent times.... Quite the "play on words"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote