Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
yesiamapirate

Leak or?

Hi all, I was hoping to pick your brains a bit. I bought a Cougar 27SAB in February. It was built in December and delivered to my dealer 2 weeks before we took it home. We live in Michigan ans it has been freezing and snowing since it was built. Fast forward to yesterday. It was sunny and a little warm so I went out to visit my little beauty. I could see a little pink stuff here and there in the shower. Winterized, of course. Then I look down and see melting ice, just a litttle with a puddle in the bottom of the shower. Not wet above, I carefully checked by the skylight. However, I could see it had seeped or dripped in from behind the shower wall. Any thoughts? Really bad or is there a benign reason. Should I wait and see if it continues? I checked the roof and didn’t see obvious breeches. Thank you!
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Tbos

I wonder if it didn’t get fully winterized. If you can get on the roof make sure there’s no gaps in the sealant anywhere. I’d be concerned about a possible leak in the plumbing if there’s no roof leaks. Consider taking it back to the dealer since it’s under warranty.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
yesiamapirate

Good thoughts!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You say you could see it seeped or dripped in from BEHIND the shower wall. I'd suspect it may be from the "cleaning lady at the dealership" wiping down the shower walls during the PDI cleaning. If it were me, I'd not go tearing things up or raising cane with the dealership until spring and see what is really "melted and thawed". Chances are it's not a leaking roof component and with any trailer that was delivered during the winter, who knows what really got cleaned or splashed during cleaning?????

I'd keep an eye on it, if it gets worse before spring, then contact the dealer, if it's a "static issue" with no increase in size, I wouldn't worry about it until spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
yesiamapirate

That is what I kind of thought. The lines are full of pink so I think if they leaked it would be pink? I did look at the roof at the walk through and it looked good. I will get up there again soon to double check as that is a quick fix. So I was leaning towards the cleaning, too. I just wanted to see if anyone else though it was wishful thinking or really possible. I will wait for a total thaw, dry it up and keep a close eye. It is under warranty so if it is a problem now is the time. Hoping it is nothing.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I would clean it up now and watch it pretty closely. As was mentioned, I suspect it is a leftover from the final cleaning/winterizing process. If you clean it and then start to see liquid accumulating (I am assuming you are having a freezing/thawing process in the weather) it will confirm you have a problem of some kind and will hopefully make it easier to identify.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Steveo57

I'd get up on the roof and check it really good. I seemed to always find a spot or two whenever I checked mine in the first year I had it. Seems that things were getting settled in and shifting around and several places opened up that could have leaked.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
yesiamapirate

Little update, I should have posted this sooner. The day after my last post, I went up on the roof and found a tiny little gap in the seal around the bathroom skylight. It was so small, I was skeptical that it could even have caused this much water in the shower. ( It did rain pretty hard). Just to be sure, I poured some water at the hole and sure enough it ran straight into the shower. Problem found and easily solved. I also fixed a few other spots that I found. My dealer was great, submitted all to Keystone. At the very least, the Dicor will be covered and the complaint was logged and documented.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8867.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	21016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8869.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	21017  
Old 03-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #9
14george

When I had mine wen5 on roof mine had a gap around skylight. Glad you got it fixed
Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #10
yesiamapirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
When I had mine wen5 on roof mine had a gap around skylight. Glad you got it fixed
It was such a tiny gap, I poured water in it to be sure i had the source!
I know they make these on a dime and crank them out, but you would think there would be some basic QC for things that obvious.

Tags
leak