Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexmex357 View Post
Well just got back from our maiden voyage from the Smokey Mountains. Had a great time with family! I would like to say that yes the 2810Bh trailer is to much for my F150 even with all the mods that I did. I wouldn't call the pro pride a waste its worth every penny I spent. It saved my bacon on this trip. The first day of driving there was a accident in front of us, young kid driving and instead of getting out of the way he gets out of the car and causes everyone to hit on the brakes. I slammed on the brakes luckily I was able to pull over to the side of the road. Thank God no one was hurt. On the way back home to Chicago we hit some pretty bad storms and winds. That is when I felt that sometimes I did not have full control of the trailer. Especially when the semi's were whipping by 75 miles an hour or more. On sunny days with no wind I would be able to pull just fine. But events like storms, semi-trailers and winds the F150 is no match for the 2810BH. I am going to just bite the bullet and upgrade to a F250 or even a F350 which ever one I could fine cheaper. My Family safety does comes first. Thanks everyone for your input!

Good luck on finding the vehicle you want. Towing a trailer with a vehicle on the edge is definitely no fun as many on this forum can attest to. It can also be dangerous as you found out.

Thanks for the follow up on the results of your efforts and please let us know how the new truck works out as John mentioned.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #42
Drydays

hexmex357,, very happy to hear you made it back safely and hope the camping was good though.. I believe the 250 will be just the thing for you and keep your tow gear.
chuck/ drydays
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #43
hexmex357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
hexmex357,

Thanks for your "after trip report", and glad that you made it back home safely. Once you get your new tow vehicle and have an opportunity to "contrast/compare" please let us know the "good/bad/ugly" about the switch to a bigger tow vehicle.
I sure will give a full review! My next trip is hopefully in August to the Black Hills, Yellowstone and then to Zion national park. Only if I can purchase a new tow vehicle in time. No way I'm pulling the beast with the F150 again. LOL

2017Passport 2810BH
2017 F-250 6.7L Diesel 4X4
Pro-pride Hitch
hexmex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #44
slow

Just weighed my Trailer and truck.

hexmex357,

With the Propride, you should only feel your TV and TT get pushed slightly as a single unit. Did you check the yoke for play after a few miles as indicated in the instructions?

This adjustment is required after the first use since the paint wears off and results in additional clearance with the yoke. Not having clearance at the yoke is what the Propride needs to ensure the TT stays "locked" relative to the TV. Once the paint is off, I check each spring and am good for the season.

Something you need to check no matter what TV you have.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you give Sean at Propride a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like a great plan. Made the Yellowstone and Black Hills trip last year with my 1500. Never again! Moved up to a 3500 SRW this spring and would love to make that trip again with a better tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #46
hexmex357

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
hexmex357,

With the Propride, you should only feel your TV and TT get pushed slightly as a single unit. Did you check the yoke for play after a few miles as indicated in the instructions?

This adjustment is required after the first use since the paint wears off and results in additional clearance in the yoke. Not having clearance at the yoke is what the Propride needs to ensure the TT stays "locked" relative to the TV. Once the paint is off, I check each spring and am good for the season.

Something you need to check no matter what TV you have.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you give Sean at Propride a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea that part was confusing to me. I'll have to take another look at that. If you have any pics you can share that would be a great help to me. I wish Propride had a installation video.Thanks

2017Passport 2810BH
Pro-pride Hitch
Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #47
slow

Just weighed my Trailer and truck.

Here is the bolt/nut that needs to be tightened to eliminate excess clearance with the yoke:

The picture was taken from under the propane tanks.

Note that I modified mine with stainless steel c shaped shims to take up the excess clearance given the 20k miles on ours. Yours will not have or need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Twitter
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #48
busterbrown

Quote:
That is when I felt that sometimes I did not have full control of the trailer. Especially when the semi's were whipping by 75 miles an hour or more. On sunny days with no wind I would be able to pull just fine. But events like storms, semi-trailers and winds the F150 is no match for the 2810BH.
With my Hensley, the hitch was the means to eliminate sway, not the tow vehicle. Both my 1/2 ton Yukon XL Denali and my new 3/4 ton Ram had measurable sway at highway speeds when TV(s) and trailer were mated with my "mid-grade" Blue OX hitch.

When swapped out for the Hensley, trailer sway was/is completely eliminated. Lateral forces from cross winds, big rigs, and down-grades do "NOT" create a sway condition. As Slow pointed out, the movement you tend to feel is not SWAY but lateral forces along the entire wheelbase of your tow vehicle and length of your trailer, similar to the mechanics of a 5th wheel anchored to a TV. This is why these hitches work so well. Your Propride hitch must be set up to lock out any movement on the hitch ball. My Hensley hitch uses struts to do so. The Propride design is quite different.

Propride nor Hensley publish video installation instructions. But the illustrative and written instructions included are very precise and intuitive. Took me about 90 minutes from start to finish to have it assembled, mounted and tweaked.

Believe it or not, but these premium hitches were specifically designed for use on 1/2 ton vehicles where wheelbase, tires, suspension components are more limiting than components on HD trucks. You should be getting some remarkable improvements with towabilty, as long as you stay within your vehicle's towing capacities.

Again, upgrading from a traditional sway "control" hitch to a sway "elimination" hitch was the best "safety" investment I completed with my rig. A very close 2nd were the tires. I would never go back to 'traditional sway control'.

Hope you get your hitch working as designed. They make traveling very comfortable when towing lengthy trailers.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #49
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What is the payload of the truck - on the door sticker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You would be right!! Sticker would be irrelevant. Hopefully my thinking cap is working better today!
Well seeing how the payload on the magic "Yellow sticker" is nothing more then the GVWR minus the curb weight of the truck as it left the factory.
It is only good on the dealers lot to compare TV.

The real number is GVWR minus TV scaled weight loaded ready to camp. Good hitch and good tires LT's should work well.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well seeing how the payload on the magic "Yellow sticker" is nothing more then the GVWR minus the curb weight of the truck as it left the factory.
It is only good on the dealers lot to compare TV.

The real number is GVWR minus TV scaled weight loaded ready to camp. Good hitch and good tires LT's should work well.

I think you missed some posts when choosing things to respond to. This was all covered and resolved........a month ago. You might want to read the entire thread.................
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #51
bsmith0404

Glad to hear your first trip was a success, in many ways. Now you know what everyone was talking about. Yes you were in spec, but on the edge which many, MANY people pointed out. Now you know what it feels like to tow on the edge and can be a great source of advice for others in your situation. Enjoy your truck shopping, but keep in mind if you can find a 350 vs a 250, you will have more options if/when it's time for a new trailer. Maybe the next one will be a 5th wheel where the payload capacity is much more of a concern

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #52
mfifield01

I'm currently towing a 2810bh with a 1/2 ton truck. When the wind kicks up above 30mph, it's noticeable. I have an Equalizer hitch, but would think a Hensley or ProPride would help out. I've thought about a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, but mainly to carry extra stuff in the bed.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #53
hexmex357

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Here is the bolt/nut that needs to be tightened to eliminate excess clearance with the yoke:

The picture was taken from under the propane tanks.

Note that I modified mine with stainless steel c shaped shims to take up the excess clearance given the 20k miles on ours. Yours will not have or need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Twitter
Thanks Slow I checked that part of the yoke and everything is nice and tight. Double checked all of my settings on the Hitch. The Hitch did its job as advertised. I would not trade it for the world. Just my F150 can't handle the weight on high grade hills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	13219  

2017Passport 2810BH
Pro-pride Hitch
Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #54
hexmex357

Started looking for a F250 on the market and some of the prices were pretty high. Did some comparing with my Ford A plan discount and I was better off buying new. So I called my Guy at the dealer he found an XLT that was very similar to my F150 and I am probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I just want to kick my self in rear end because I really liked my Truck. But I can hear that Diesel engine purring now. I don't know what is the break in period for a diesel but hopefully I can break it in on before our trip at the end of July!

2017Passport 2810BH
Pro-pride Hitch
Old 06-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Started looking for a F250 on the market and some of the prices were pretty high. Did some comparing with my Ford A plan discount and I was better off buying new. So I called my Guy at the dealer he found an XLT that was very similar to my F150 and I am probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I just want to kick my self in rear end because I really liked my Truck. But I can hear that Diesel engine purring now. I don't know what is the break in period for a diesel but hopefully I can break it in on before our trip at the end of July!

I don't have the Ford diesel but I think I've read some of the posts saying that you can't tow for 500 miles if I recall. Maybe you can roll those up before your July trip. I'm sure someone will confirm if that number is correct.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #56
hexmex357

I hope it is 500 miles because on 5.0 V8 I think it was 1500 miles.

2017Passport 2810BH
Pro-pride Hitch
Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #57
sourdough
Site Team

I was just on the powerstroke.org site and it looks like the break in with no load is 1000 miles.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, the Ford Owner's Manual also stipulates 1000 miles. It's in the "ESSENTIALS FOR TOWING" section about the 3rd page of the towing chapter.

"Do not tow a trailer until you drive your vehicle at least 1000 miles (1600
kilometers)."

At the prices these things go for, I wouldn't dream of ignoring a good thorough breakin period.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 AM   #59
Javi

Yep... 1000 miles.. and it ain't about the motor.. it's about the ring gear & pinion (rear end)..
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #60
hexmex357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yup, the Ford Owner's Manual also stipulates 1000 miles. It's in the "ESSENTIALS FOR TOWING" section about the 3rd page of the towing chapter.

"Do not tow a trailer until you drive your vehicle at least 1000 miles (1600
kilometers)."

At the prices these things go for, I wouldn't dream of ignoring a good thorough breakin period.
Well, I guess I have a Month to break it in! Picking up the f250 XLT Today. Now to start a debate war and get the popcorn, Diesel or Gasser wich way I should of went?

2017Passport 2810BH
Pro-pride Hitch