Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #1
ledunn

Dometic refrigerator

My frig is warming up to 50 on gas or elec. I took the top vent cover off and found the paneling is almost to the top of fins. Is this normal? This is in sun or shade. I have a 2016 High Country 305RL
ledunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes, the paneling is there to make sure the air passes through and not around the fins. You could add a 12V fan to help with air flow,how many times is the refer door opened and left open while someone decides what they want?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
hankaye

ledunn, Howdy;

Check the thermistor???

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledunn View Post
My frig is warming up to 50 on gas or elec. I took the top vent cover off and found the paneling is almost to the top of fins. Is this normal? This is in sun or shade. I have a 2016 High Country 305RL
I have a 2015 HC 305RL and I have had the same problem with my RM1350SLmx Dometic and it's been in the shop 3 times. The 1st time they replaces the thermistor and that did it for a few months then right back to the same problem now it's back st the dealer and they have had it for 3 weeks and can't figure it out and have been on the phone with Dometic and they keep trying different things but no luck... I hate that the refrigerator is in the side for one problem my paneling is about half way up the fins and the 4 fans below the fins all work and are blowing all the time and I have added a plate to direct the are out the top vent. The next thing I will try is to add a fan near the top vent to suck the air out and blow out the top vent with a temperature control. I think the top vent should have two fans sucking the heat out at the top because air flow and heat at the top coils is a problem when the refrigerator is in the slide.
One other thing I was told by a tech in GA that if you disconnect all power from the circuit board 12volt and AC and when you reconnect the 12volt it will run a auto defrost in 60 hours for 2 hours and than start a cycle of a auto defrost every 48 hours for 2 hours you may try and see if that makes your refer run better for 60 hours and than after 60 hours disconnect it again and re-connect it so it wont defrost that what I am going to try.
with 5" exhaust system
2015 Keystone Montana HC 305RL
650 Watt Solar panels, 4 6volt T-105
Go power 3000 inverter.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledunn View Post
Question is the drain hose showing out the bottom vent? Mine was in side went I took delivery so the hot air was going into the refrigerator. It should be hanging out the vent and it should be long enough inside the vent to have a trap in it kinda like a bathroom sink trap to keep the smell from coming up but this is to keep the hot air to go back into the refer but the end of the drain still needs to be lower than the water tray in inside if you know what I mean.
with 5" exhaust system
Go power 3000 inverter.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
darrylwt

Has anyone tried this Fridge-Fix
https://smartrvproducts.com/works/

with 5" exhaust system
Go power 3000 inverter.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I have a fan that runs on 2 D cell batteries. Sits in the condensation tray and it works real good. The new 4 door Norcold refers have built in fans.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylwt View Post
Question is the drain hose showing out the bottom vent? Mine was in side went I took delivery so the hot air was going into the refrigerator. It should be hanging out the vent and it should be long enough inside the vent to have a trap in it kinda like a bathroom sink trap to keep the smell from coming up but this is to keep the hot air to go back into the refer but the end of the drain still needs to be lower than the water tray in inside if you know what I mean.

Actually there shouldn't be any any kinks or bends in the condensation drain tube. Only trap is the end cap to keep critters out. Dometic refers have the long tube that sticks out past the edge of the lower access panel. Norcold uses a drip tray that is mounted to the back of the refer right next to the burner box and relies on the heat of the cooling stack to evaporate the moisture.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Actually there shouldn't be any any kinks or bends in the condensation drain tube. Only trap is the end cap to keep critters out. Dometic refers have the long tube that sticks out past the edge of the lower access panel. Norcold uses a drip tray that is mounted to the back of the refer right next to the burner box and relies on the heat of the cooling stack to evaporate the moisture.
Thanks for the info, I found that out yesterday at the RV dealer working on my refrigerator that there is not to have any bends, i guess I was thinking of the old RV's that had a drain tube for the block of ice and to add a trap in the tube so the hot air from going back in the tube and melting the ice.
with 5" exhaust system
Go power 3000 inverter.