Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #21
GMcKenzie

Be careful before buying 2 X 2000w generators and thinking you can join them together. Canada has different rules than the US and not all the paired generators are legal up here. The Honda 2000i sold in Canada cannot be joined together.

I've got a single 2000i but don't try to run the AC with it.

And I know some brands can be joined together. I'm pretty sure the Champions Festus is talking about can be.

I have no idea if there would be an issue at the border buying units in the US and bringing them to Canada.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Be careful before buying 2 X 2000w generators and thinking you can join them together. Canada has different rules than the US and not all the paired generators are legal up here. The Honda 2000i sold in Canada cannot be joined together.

I've got a single 2000i but don't try to run the AC with it.

And I know some brands can be joined together. I'm pretty sure the Champions Festus is talking about can be.

I have no idea if there would be an issue at the border buying units in the US and bringing them to Canada.
Why would they not be accepted?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Why would they not be accepted?
As long as you within the allowable $$$ limits, I can't see any reason why a generator can't be brought across the border from the US into Canada.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
As long as you within the allowable $$$ limits, I can't see any reason why a generator can't be brought across the border from the US into Canada.
Sorry. I should have specified that I was asking about why the paralleling feature was not accepted in Canada.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Canada has different "regulations" concerning electrical equipment. We use UL and Canada uses CSA. Anyway, here's the explanation from another forum:

Here's one explanation of the reason some "parallel generator sets" don't meet the CSA requirements. I don't know that it's "illegal to use them" in Canada, but they aren't "imported for sale" and don't meet CSA requirements.

Just got a clarification why the certain Canada-model Honda EU-series generators do NOT have parallel connections. (Exception: the EU1000i does).

The (Canada) CSA rules don't say "no parallel" but what they DO say is 'no power allowed that exceeds the capacity of the receptacle/breaker.'

So, in the case of the standard EU2000i, it has a 20A duplex receptacle, and puts out 13.3 amps. There's also a 20A breaker on the duplex (only). So far, so good.

However, if you connect another EU2000i in parallel, the 20A breaker is NOT part of that parallel connection circuit, AND the combined amperage of the two units is now 26.6A, which exceeds to 20A rating of the receptacle. Verdict: No parallel connection for you on this model.

In the case of the EU2000i Companion, with its 30A receptacle, Honda probably could offer it with parallel, but it would not work with standard EU2000i that does not have parallel connectors. This would require a Canada customer to buy 2x Companions to get parallel, and at least in US $, that would be a $250 premium. Probably would NOT be a good seller.

In the case of the EU1000i, it has a 15A receptacle, and creates 7.5A. It also has an internal 20A circuit protector (no external breaker). When combined in parallel with another EU1000i, the total currrent is 15A, which is okay by CSA, especially since there is a 20A protector circuit. So, the EU1000i in Canada *does* come with parallel connectors.

For the rest of the EU-series models (EU3000is, EU3000i Handi), they are in the same boat as the EU2000i; too much power is possible through a too-small-rated receptacle when connected in parallel, so no parallel connections allowed.

Finally, it's my understanding some other brands of generators sold in Canada do offer parallel connections, but I don't know which ones. Evidently, they have the legal-sized receptacles and/or breakers/protectors that do meet CSA rules.

Hope this clears it up for those who asked.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:43 AM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Finally, it's my understanding some other brands of generators sold in Canada do offer parallel connections, but I don't know which ones. Evidently, they have the legal-sized receptacles and/or breakers/protectors that do meet CSA rules.

Yamaha Canada advertises a new EF2000IST generator that can be paralleled as does Ryobi. Both are listed as being CSA approved and would, I assume be "legal".
Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
Desert185

So if I go to Canada with my Smarter Tools 2000's running in parallel, am I going to be captured, lectured, impounded and/or fined by the Mounties?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
So if I go to Canada with my Smarter Tools 2000's running in parallel, am I going to be captured, lectured, impounded and/or fined by the Mounties?
And probably run out of Canada in shame to boot !!!!

No, really, as long as you don't try to sell them to a Canadian or advertise that they don't meet "local standards", chances are that nobody will ever be the wiser. If I were to travel north from here, I'd have my two Champions in the truck with the parallel cable kit. My intentions would be to use the system if needed. I don't think I'd even look around to see if the Mounties are watching.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

The RCMP couldn't care less about anyone running generators in parallel. They're more concerned about whether or not the Timbits at Timmy's are fresh and the coffee is hot and still free. So fire up your Smart Tools and Champions and relax.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #30
notanlines

Festus has this part right: "concerned about whether or not the Timbits at Timmy's are fresh and the coffee is hot." I left out the free part because it was describing me. And the last generator I bought in Canada was a Champion.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #31
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The RCMP couldn't care less about anyone running generators in parallel. They're more concerned about whether or not the Timbits at Timmy's are fresh and the coffee is hot and still free. So fire up your Smart Tools and Champions and relax.
I like Timmy's. Better than Dunkin Donuts here. There was one in Bangor that I used to frequent during a trip there. I wonder if that's the only location in the States? I guess I could Google it.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #32
GMcKenzie

I always though it had to do with the way the generators were grounded that didn't meet CSA code for them being daisy chained. I could be wrong and the explanation above does make sense.

There would not be an issue with an American using one in Canada, but there might be for a Canadian bringing one home for use and there might be an insurance issue if something happened.

I do know some generators can be combined, just not the Honda's.

But then I would rather have a Starbucks than a Timmy's.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #33
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I always though it had to do with the way the generators were grounded that didn't meet CSA code for them being daisy chained. I could be wrong and the explanation above does make sense.

There would not be an issue with an American using one in Canada, but there might be for a Canadian bringing one home for use and there might be an insurance issue if something happened.

I do know some generators can be combined, just not the Honda's.

But then I would rather have a Starbucks than a Timmy's.
Try a Peet's sometime. I thinks its better than what my son calls "Fivebucks."