Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Ladyhawke

Leveling your trailer

I was wondering how you all tell when your trailer is level. We can put a level on several different places in and around the trailer (on tongue, on frame, on bumper, inside front storage compartment, inside trailer near door) and get so many different readings. I put the level on the floor inside the trailer in 3 different spots with different results each time. Camping this week I think we are pretty dead on level but still get different readings. Just curious what your thoughts are on this subject.

My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Ladyhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

A level refrigerator is the most important. You can get small bubble levels that you can attach to the corners of the trailer to check side to side and front to back quickly.

I would suggest setting a circle level in the freezer, and then using a floor jack on the low side frame, jack it up at the axles until level. At that point attach the side to side level on the front or rear corner of the trailer.

Then using the tongue jack, get the bubble dead center again and then attach the front to rear level on the front or rear side edge.

When I bought my fiver I used a 6' level on the floor in the kitchen to get perfectly level, checked my refer and found it close enough and then attached my levels. Since I have a fifth wheel, I was able to attach the level to the pin box. Been good for three years now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Bowhunter

I use a quality 3-4 foot level. Start by leveling side to side using blocks. I use the frame across the tongue for this. Then measure a couple spots along the side frame to level front to back. Once all is level, I use the cheaper stick on levels made for campers and carefully place one on the front of the camper, and one on the front side of the camper. This makes future leveling much easier! Good luck!

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
PerryB

I too have found discrepancies in level between various flat surfaces in all the trailers I've had. They have always been fairly subtle, so I have come to use a carpenters level on the biggest part of the kitchen counter and once its level I set my outside bubbles accordingly.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
millwright01

I agree. Fridge must be close to level. I use a 4 foot level to level trailer best I can.

I have a different way to do things before I install my stick ons however. In all my RV's I have done things different on each one. I get them as level as I can and spend a few days in them. Each one had different issues. Mostly it is the shower that doesn't drain out properly or water sits in the rails. I spend a few days changing things a little at a time until I get it all working properly. I think this is more important than where the bubble sits. Then I stick on the little levels at "level" even if its off a bit so my wife can set up and any "helpful" neighbors don't argue with her about being off level when she has to set up without me.
2020 Montana 3120 RL
millwright01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
GaryWT

Generally eye ball it side to side and when close I use a 2 foot level inside the door to set close. Then eyeball front to back and when I think I am there check level inside the door. Close is good, the fridge will work, no issues. Generally when I then open the slides, it brings it slightly out of level.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

I put a 6" level on the battery tray to get it level side to side. Then I put it in the front storage area and leave it slightly high on the tongue end. Done and dusted.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
theeyres

I also mess around with a bunch of different points in leveling until I get it to just sort of feel right. In our recent trailer I just used a level on the tongue - both across it and forward and aft and found it as close as any messing around inside. So I stuck my bubbles on on that basis. I mainly don't like doors swinging open or shut whether on the cabinets, bedroom, bathroom, etc. If they stay where they are opened to, I figure it's level.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
buzzcop63

I think it was a Trailer Life video, the man talking said the one thing you want level is the refrigerator, he said to use a round bubble level and put it on the floor of the freezer section and if the bubble stayed at least half in the bulls eye then you were OK. This gentleman owns an RV repair business and does a lot of RV help videos. What ever you wish to add to perfect the level at this point is up to the owner.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
UsTwo

I to used to worry my self to death about how level we were..On 3 of my campers. Had the little bubble levels attached plus used a 2 ft level across the tongue and rear bumper. plus in side to get it lever front to back.. then we camped next to, and watched a older couple back in and set up. Watched what he did.. he pulled a small level out and set inside his front door and that was it..When I talked to him later he told me that they used to worry all about being level also..but over the years the campers got better and he found a better way.. Now I use his way and am so much more at ease. I just back in open the door, set a 10" level on the floor for side to side.pull or back on to my blocks to level. unhook, look down the side at the window frames and eyeball to check level for front to back.. Then I check the level inside by the door. make sure it is as level as can get and done. Stabs down slides out.. the refer works just fine and if the water won't quite drain at the campground it will on the drive home.. no worries...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #11
mikey98e

I put a bubble level in the refrigerator and leveled the trailer until the bubble was centered. Then I fastened a plastic 4" level to the a frame near the jack. That gives me front to back level. I fastened a plastic 4" level to the body in the front. That gives me side to side level.
Now I can look at the front of the trailer and level it and I know the refrigerator is level.
-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #12
CFDfireman90

My $.02

I am thinking of putting on a bubble level on front to be able to see as I back in to a site, trying to find something close to level. Then, as I already do now, I use a 2' level on the floor inside the front transverse compartment to level from to back once I have unhooked from the TV.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFDfireman90 View Post
I am thinking of putting on a bubble level on front to be able to see as I back in to a site, trying to find something close to level. Then, as I already do now, I use a 2' level on the floor inside the front transverse compartment to level from to back once I have unhooked from the TV.
I've had a large front level on my last two trailers and its very useful. The closer to level (side to side) you can get before deploying the jacks/stabilizers the better. Doors don't bind etc. I carry a few strips of 1/2" ply to back the low tires onto so I gan get it pretty close. If its way off I start with 2x6's.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
A level refrigerator is the most important. You can get small bubble levels that you can attach to the corners of the trailer to check side to side and front to back quickly.

I would suggest setting a circle level in the freezer, and then using a floor jack on the low side frame, jack it up at the axles until level. At that point attach the side to side level on the front or rear corner of the trailer.

Then using the tongue jack, get the bubble dead center again and then attach the front to rear level on the front or rear side edge.

When I bought my fiver I used a 6' level on the floor in the kitchen to get perfectly level, checked my refer and found it close enough and then attached my levels. Since I have a fifth wheel, I was able to attach the level to the pin box. Been good for three years now.
That's exactly what we did. Use a level to set the trailer level then attach the corner levels near the landing gear switch for checking each plane. No more running back and forth to the entryway to check the level on the floor.

On a popup camper, I used a single, round bubble level in the outside fridge compartment. Worked great.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
michael_h

I quit worrying about being perfect, heck most the levels people buy at the local HW store are only good for government work anyway . . . I make sure the tongue is slightly high, and using a water bottle I compare the water line to the jug indentations. Works fine for me and the AC water runs off the back drain out of the way
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:57 AM   #16
notanlines

Keep in mind to worry about side to side being level first. End to end level second. I would have to differ with a couple of the posters above about having the trailer tilt to the rear. They were designed to sit level and I don't want my doors swinging open or closed. Just my two cents....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #17
PerryB

This thread has me wondering what would happen if I took a carpenters level to the various flat surfaces in my house. Probably don't wanna know..........
Old 05-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
This thread has me wondering what would happen if I took a carpenters level to the various flat surfaces in my house. Probably don't wanna know..........
Why even use a carptenter's level, just "turn loose a bag of kids marbles and you'll probably find them all in the corners, or in the center of the room. My bet is they won't be where you emptied the bag.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #19
Desert185

Two old school guys built my house in 1975 (I bought it in 1998). The old boy rancher I bought it from said the brothers built everything onsite, including the trusses and the cabinets. They did everything except for carpet and wallpaper...and we got rid of the wallpaper during the remodel . During that remodel, we had a number of "contractors" remark how square and plumb the house is. Its old-ish, but its a good house. With the exception of two contractors who worked on the remodel, the rest were never up to the standards of the two brothers who built our house.

The older I get, the more I understand what my dad was was trying to emphasize to me. If he were still with us, I'd tell him, "I get it, Dad!"
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #20
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Why even use a carptenter's level, just "turn loose a bag of kids marbles and you'll probably find them all in the corners, or in the center of the room. My bet is they won't be where you emptied the bag.
Sorry, that won't work. I lost my marbles a long time ago!