Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
DennisT

2009 Springdale 266RL: trying to figure what AC unit we have. No doc's w/TT...

Last year when we purchased our 2009 Springdale 266RL, we got a large pile of original documentation with it. Appeared to be everything that came with the TT when new. Just today, I realized there is >nothing< in there about the AC unit on the roof. At my age, I don't crawl around up there much....if at all. Otherwise, I guess, I could go up there and look for serial number and i.d.

Were there typical, most often used units on these? If so, anyone have any idea what to expect to find? I'm wondering what kind of maintenance is required or how to deal with problems should they ever occur. I also need to find out the capacity/amp-draw of mine so I can be sure to plug into enough power.

Dang. Always a glitch....

Thanks,
Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
f6bits

I pulled the intake grille and filter from mine and was able to read the model info from inside. Speaking of which, the filter will need to be cleaned. Soap and water work for mine.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
therink

X2- serial and model # will be in side plenum area. Remove 4 screws. It is likely a 13,500 btu which came standard.
While in there you may want to have a role of hvac foil tape handy and check then redo duct openings and divider panel between intake and exhaust sides.
Airflow can be hampered by sloppy tape work in these areas.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm between RV's right now so I can't walk out to the trailer to check, but if I remember correctly, there's a data plate with all the information about model, BTU output, amp draw, etc in the air box inside the RV. You can access this by removing the 4 screws that hold the inside air cover and pulling it off the ceiling. While it's off would be a great time to check the foil tape that Keystone uses to seal the RV "attic" and make sure things are sealed well and that you're not losing cool air into the attic. While it's down, clean the filter as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
X2- serial and model # will be in side plenum area. Remove 4 screws. It is likely a 13,500 btu which came standard.
While in there you may want to have a role of hvac foil tape handy and check then redo duct openings and divider panel between intake and exhaust sides.
Airflow can be hampered by sloppy tape work in these areas.
Steve
Steve,

I'm not sure whether "great minds think alike" or "We're both on the same highway" Either way, I agree with your post LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
DennisT

Great ideas folks. I didn't know about the filter. When it cools outside this evening, I'll go out and look for that ceiling panel.

I've never been brave enough to try the AC from my 20A pole circuit that serves our TT when parked here. We did have contractors working on the house for several days who brought their 198x vintage,26 foot motor home and they used their AC a lot from an identical service leg. I'd like to use the AC here, (leaving everything else off during it's use), but do not want to stress the AC compressor with an insufficient circuit either.

I guess the first thing is to find the label and see what the draw is.

Dennis
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
DennisT

more

Just went out and looked. Making more sense. I see the white plastic grill in the ceiling, and I saw two grill releases. Squeezed them and dropped the grill out which has a thin foam sheet for a filter. Foam was really clean. Above is a unit with a circuit diagram; looks more like a control unit to me. No i.d. I do see the duct tape mentioned, and it looks good. With the filter section out, I see four screws, however, the main grill/cover section is a third larger than the area the screws secure. Farther away from the now open area, the panel has a slide-regulator for air flow. On the far end from the opening, there are two plastic plugs, one in each corner. I wonder if they conceal more screws? If so, I see no way to get them out.

So am I supposed to remove the larger panel? If so, I'll pull the four visible screws and see if it drops or tilts away. Maybe there is more of the AC unit i.d. visible then.

Molded into the panel it does say Dometic DuoTherm. So I've got the brand name. Now to find the model and current draw.

??

Dennis
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Andymon

If you can wait, I have an 08 Springdale 266 and I have all the manuals including the AC but they are on the trailer in the storage yard. I won't be going out there till the upcoming weekend. PM me to remind and I'll check.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
f6bits

When I open mine up as you did, this is what I see:

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
DennisT

Andymon:
Thank you; that is considerate for you to offer to look. Let's see what unfolds in the meantime.

f6bits: Hmmm. I do not see that. In your photo, have you removed the ENTIRE plastic cover? (read: no plastic whatsoever on the ceiling). If so, I need to remove the remaining larger section.

Dennis
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
f6bits

No, I only unclipped the intake grille and pulled the foam out.
Here's a link to a manual:
http://goo.gl/HQuvG4

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
billb800si

In regard to the A.C. filers. I just replace mine with new. They are very cheap and you can buy them at any hardware store- Home Depot etc... Use scissors to cut to size. That way I'm not restricting the flow of air to the unit.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
DennisT

more

f6bits: You were right on. I just took my computer reading glasses and went back to our TT. With filter grill removed again, I looked closely. Just barely visible sticking out from Keystone's sticky white foam sheeting, was the corner of a label. I was able to get my hand in there and peel back the foam to reveal the real Dometic AC label. It is model No. 57915.541. Too hard to read other details on the label. Having pulled up your link to the manual, (thank you), I see our model is listed. In the manual, it shows, just as some of you suggested, ours is a 13,500 BTU unit. The chart in the manual shows compressor draw of 12.4 amps, running off the recommended, installer provided, 20A circuit breaker.

So while the illustrations in this manual do not always match the appearance of our unit, it does cover ours, probably exactly as a paper manual would had ours survived in our info. packet.

ANDYMON: Thank you again for your offer of checking your manual this coming weekend. It looks as if I'm now covered unless your manual has something different in it.

Last question: Am I safe to fire up our AC with our single purpose,20A circuit that appears below our power meter base next to our TT? I'm thinking it will be OK. Would just like a bit of feedback before I kick it on. (Of course I'll leave all other devices off at that time)

Thanks again,
Dennis
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Dennis,

You should be safe in "firing up the A/C" on a dedicated 20 Amp circuit provided you have an adequate size power cord from the outlet to the RV and don't turn on any other electrical equipment in the RV.

Many of us (me included) have a 120VAC meter plugged into a spare outlet in the RV. That way we can monitor the actual voltage available to circuits inside the coach. They are really inexpensive and as such, are "cheap insurance" against low voltage conditions. You can find one here: http://bigdiscountrv.com/new-gadgets...egrity-79406lt

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
DennisT

ac

Thanks to everyone. I'm running our AC at will on our dedicated 20A circuit with no problems whatsoever.

Dennis