Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
DcomTom

Battery Drain

I’m a little new at this so bear with me if this isn’t the correct forum for the question. I have an ‘18 Passport 2890RL and when I put it back on the storage lot a month ago I inadvertently left the bathroom light on and ran the battery flat. I towed it back to the house and plugged into the AC and it recharged and everything worked ok. I parked t in the driveway after the weekend and it was plugged into the AC again. I looked and and noticed electrolyte bubbling out of the caps on the battery. I made sure things were level and it stopped. I went over today to check on the trailer and the battery was flat. I looked at the top and it was wet around the caps again. Have I done some damage here? Any help would be appreciated. As a side note I going to install two 6V GC2 batteries next week. (Sorry, I didn’t mean to write a book)
DcomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can remove the "dying 12 volt battery" and take it to almost any auto parts store. They can do a load test to determine if there's anything to salvage. It sounds like you've either got a dry cell and the others are "boiling over" or that battery is on its last legs....

You'll appreciate the extra capacity the GC2's will give you. Just be careful to keep them "watered and charged" and they will last you a long, long time. Mine are 6 years old and still going strong.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
travelin texans

The only absolute disconnect for your batteries is to disconnect either the + or - cable (either will do the job) from the battery.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

Since this hasn't been said yet, you really can't leave your battery connected while in storage (unless you have shore power available and keep the trailer plugged-in). The battery disconnect doesn't remove all loads from the battery, but even if you disconnect the cables from the batteries, they will self-discharge over time.

The best thing to do for them is to bring them home and keep them on a good battery maintainer, like the Battery Tender.

Also, it sounds like you towed your trailer with a dead battery - this is not a good idea (and I'm pretty sure, not legal). The main reason for the battery while towing is to provide emergency power to the trailer brakes should the trailer become disconnected from the tow vehicle. If the battery is dead, there will be no brakes.

Finally, batteries don't like to be discharged all the way. I understand you're going to be getting new batteries. You will want to make sure you never let them discharge below about 50%.

Tags
battery, drain