Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
jacketslacker

Electric Tongue Jack Wiring

This is possibly a stupid question, but hey that's what this forum is for.

I have been removing my battery, since I don't have a disconnect, but have been thinking of getting an electric tongue jack. If I pull out the battery, but still have the jack wired into the positive side of the cable, will I have power when I plug the trailer into my truck? I know the obvious line of just get a battery disconnect is there, but I honestly have no idea where to put one. The battery box they gave me with the trailer fits the battery and nothing else. I don't want the terminals getting wet so it's got to be inside something but can't find any way to do it without getting a box too. Just trying to find ways to make it all work with what I have but if I've got to get a new box to install the disconnect then I'll do it.

Thanks in advance.
jacketslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Couple of options. You can mount a disconnect to the inside of the frame, and if there is room put it under the front cap.

Your other option to have power to a tongue jack without a battery is to find the 12V charge line at the junction box of the umbilical cord and tie in there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that if you connect "AND TOW" your trailer without a battery installed on the tongue, you have no emergency braking capability if the trailer should disconnect from the tow vehicle. Obtaining power via the 7 pin connector to power the jack and to power a few lights is possible, but if you get "out on the road," unless you have a battery installed in the trailer circuitry, your trailer, if it should disconnect from the tow vehicle will have no emergency break-away capability as there would be no DC power available to the trailer brakes once the umbilical pulls out of the tow vehicle socket.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
MarkEHansen

Another thing to consider is whether the charge cable via the tow vehicle is heavy enough to take the current load imposed by the tongue jack. That motor is going to strain pretty hard when lifting the trailer.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Another thing to consider is whether the charge cable via the tow vehicle is heavy enough to take the current load imposed by the tongue jack. That motor is going to strain pretty hard when lifting the trailer.
This is especially true if you have a WDH installed where you have to lift the whole rig to remove the weight bars, as with my Husky hitch. When I'm hooking up or unhooking, the tongue jack has to lift the back of the truck as well as the front of the trailer. It works pretty hard and I'm sure, draws bucketloads of current.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
hornet28

Take a look at this page for battery mounted shutoffs
https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...FgLxQqK8fsB7M:
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
jacketslacker

I did not know about the battery being necessary for the e-brake. I have to store my camper away from my house and go get it when we want to use it. I will definitely be looking into a switch and however I might need to make that happen. Thanks.
jacketslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #8
Logan X

On one camping trip my RV battery died and I could not operate the power tongue jack. I plugged the trailer into my truck, which has 2 batteries, and the jack would not operate. I had to get out my generator and plug the trailer into it in order to operate the tongue jack.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue jack, wiring