Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
kjohn

2019 22RBS Half-Ton question

We purchased a new 22RBS HT. Because we won't be actually picking it up until early Spring, we only took a quick look at it the other day. On the Keystone site's 360 viewer, it shows a window over the bed?? You can clearly see a ladder and the reflection in the window of another trailer.

IIRC, the front of the trailer, from the outside didn't seem to have a window, but I have been wrong a time or two before...

I can't honestly say that I noticed a window in the one we looked at. Does anyone have one, or has anybody looked at a 2019 22RBS HT?

Just curious. If it has a window, fine, if it doesn't, even better.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

A quick Google search suggests it does indeed have an automotive windshield in the front cap.

https://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv/...half+ton+22rbs

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
kjohn

Yes, I found a couple of sites that show a window. Oh well, it seems to be one-way glass, at least!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Smitty75

It should have tinted window that has a pull down blind on the inside.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I doubt it is "one way glass" but will be dark tinted like many units on the road. With the dark tint you can't see in during the day but at night, with the interior lights on and windows open you are in a "fish bowl" as we say. I do believe the big front windows have a privacy screen if I recall from the ones we have looked at.

Here is a link to a walk through of the unit. Note at about the 7 minute mark they talk about the front window and the privacy screen.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
kjohn

Okay. One-way glass is the wrong term. The blind must have been pulled down when we looked inside the other day. Just wondered about whether it actually had a window or not. It certainly wouldn't be the first time something is shown differently in an ad, compared to what you actually get. No big deal. Doesn't matter to me either way.

Gentlemen, we have a winner....No! A window!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I kind of like the front glass. Don't know about the bedroom but seems it would brighten it up. Our bedroom is in the nose with the bed in the slide and the closet across the front (which is one of my must haves) but it does eliminate the view from the nose direction.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
KeithInUpstateNY

Sorry, wrong thread.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I kind of like the front glass. Don't know about the bedroom but seems it would brighten it up. Our bedroom is in the nose with the bed in the slide and the closet across the front (which is one of my must haves) but it does eliminate the view from the nose direction.
Meh, seems like another opening to leak, especially since it will be getting every single drop of rain and buffet of wind as you tow it down the road.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Not too many years ago, EVERY travel trailer had a big front window. They were great to get a view of the campground, open for good cross ventilation and "open up the interior" both visually and by letting in more light.

The biggest problem wasn't leaks, in fact out of 10 or so trailers with front windows, I never had one that leaked. The problem was BUGS !!! Towing meant smashing those little 6-legged critters all over the windshield of the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer. Most manufacturers offered a "folding front awning" that folded down during travel and folded up to allow for some shade when camping. The nicest part was that all those BUGS were "on the awning, not the window" when sitting inside at the campground.

With the new "vista window" in many of today's trailers, it seems that manufacturers are "reinventing" the open feeling, but it looks like they "forgot about the bugs" and haven't included an awning to protect the window during travel. My guess is that within a year or so, you'll see an optional travel awning for those who don't like looking through "little squishy spots" on their windows..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not too many years ago, EVERY travel trailer had a big front window. They were great to get a view of the campground, open for good cross ventilation and "open up the interior" both visually and by letting in more light.

The biggest problem wasn't leaks, in fact out of 10 or so trailers with front windows, I never had one that leaked. The problem was BUGS !!! Towing meant smashing those little 6-legged critters all over the windshield of the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer. Most manufacturers offered a "folding front awning" that folded down during travel and folded up to allow for some shade when camping. The nicest part was that all those BUGS were "on the awning, not the window" when sitting inside at the campground.

With the new "vista window" in many of today's trailers, it seems that manufacturers are "reinventing" the open feeling, but it looks like they "forgot about the bugs" and haven't included an awning to protect the window during travel. My guess is that within a year or so, you'll see an optional travel awning for those who don't like looking through "little squishy spots" on their windows..... YMMV

Ha! And there is the answer. Those big vista view windows on the front that looks so "neat" are going to be huge problems with thousands of smashed, dried bugs on them. My first 2 real life sized trailers had a front kitchen (I liked those) and both had front windows that gave a really nice view out of the kitchen...and both had closing front covers - which were always covered with hard, dried, crusty bugs you had to really work to get off....but at least they weren't on the glass!! The new stuff? Think I'll stick with my bed slide and full front closet.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

For anyone not old enough to remember, the front windows on the ol' canned hams were in the 30s and 40s I think. bwhahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
For anyone not old enough to remember, the front windows on the ol' canned hams were in the 30s and 40s I think. bwhahaha

The original canned hams didn't have windows, but they did have a key soldered to the top of the can..... Then Sero Scotty put wheels under them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #14
Ken / Claudia

This may or may not happen, but I think the windows on the front of a RV pulled behind a TV without a outside cover will or can cause on coming head light beams bouncing off and aimed back at you the driver in your windshield mounted mirror. We have that problem at the PD when pulling trailers with reflective items in the bed as in signs and traffic cones. Until you have that experience you may not believe how dangerous it is. I hope it is not the case with that exposed glass.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
linux3

I like the looks of that TT. It's only about 1800 lbs heavier so no biggie.
Local dealer has 2 and I think we need to take a look.
kjohn, do you know, can you use stools to sit at the counter?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I like the looks of that TT. It's only about 1800 lbs heavier so no biggie.
Local dealer has 2 and I think we need to take a look.
kjohn, do you know, can you use stools to sit at the counter?

Hmmm. I doubt it. Would be a tight fit, I think. The "counter" at the left end of the kitchen isn't very wide, maybe a foot? It is changed a bit from the one in our 21RBS. It is narrower to allow more room at the foot of the bed. The drawers under the counter at the left end, facing the bed have been deleted so as to narrow it up a bit.

All in all, we are pleased with the 22RBS. Even if it has the evil window at the front! We were quite happy with the 21RBS, and the new one has a few improvements. I note that it is 300 lb. heavier empty.

I take it you are looking at a 22RBS HT?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #17
S&D--Forever

Only the "east coast" models have the windshield. If it's manufactured in Indiana it will likely have it. The models that are called the west coast additions are made in Pendleton Oregon and will not come with the windshield.
S&D--Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #18
dlcasaletto

The first half of 2019, the east coast units did not have the windshield (and some other features) but the second half of 2019, they now have the windshield, as does our new 2019 26RBS purchased in Arkansas a month ago.

dlcasaletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
S&D--Forever

Congratulations on your new 26RBS. We recently purchased the exact trailer only it was the West Coast addition. Ours was built in Pendleton Oregon and varies slightly from yours. My wife and I really wanted the fireplace however we were told that it only comes on East Coast additions with 50 amp service and they would not build it for us. We are very pleased with the upgraded 2019 model. We love the bigger king bed and the other amenities that it came with.
S&D--Forever is offline   Reply With Quote