Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Bmackr6

Equal-I-zer

Ok I’m undecided.
I have decided that I’m getting rid of my Fastway E2 roundbar hitch (1k/10k) in favor of an Equal-I-zer brand 4 pt sway hitch.
Too many white knuckles with the wind out here in the Southwest.

Here is the run down
‘16 f150, max towing capacity 7600lbs. 2.7 eco w/ trailer tow package.
‘17 Springdale 260TBWE
Truck payload 1440
Springdale unloaded 4866lbs 535 TW from the factory specs.

I know I know, haven’t gotten to a scale ( kinda hard to get all loaded up with DW and 3 kids with little/short time off)
But here are my best assumptions.....

I did weigh all gear stored on trailer, I haven’t calculated food, pillows/blankets etc.

My trailer came with 2 30lbs propane bottles, and my dealer gave me 1 extra battery for a total of 2, I know those weren’t included in the factory weights.

My best guess is with food, blankets, clothing, gear that stays onboard, my 52qt cooler I’m carrying inside the trailer up front
near the pass thru storage, some firewood inside in a tub inside the door, the batteries, propane bottles and hitch is that overall total weight I’m about 6600lbs.....I think that’s way on the high side too.

I never carry water and rarely carry anything behind the truck axels.

Puts my TW at 858 (13%)

My question is do I get the 1k/10k or 1.2k/12k
Hitch.

I’m all for go big or go home but I’m concerned about it being too stiff and bouncy.
Anybody been across this or had a way heavier duty hitch while towing and was it too bouncy?

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bmackr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
JimQ

As you can see in my signature, type of truck and trailer. My Bullet 248RKS comes in at 5,000 empty. I utilize the 10K Equalizer with no issues at all. Tows great!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
Carrottop

I have a 09 F150 towing a passport 217exp with the 4 point Equalizer 1/10k. We get some serious winds up here in Manitoba and never had a white knuckle moment. It tows great as well. my Trailer is 4600lbs dry on the scale with propane and batteries. I do have a excel spreadsheet that can do the calculations for you if you like just private message me your email and I will send it to you.

John
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
Retired Copper

After pulling my trailer with both is was no comparison. If dialed in correct you have almost 2 times more sway control. Forget the numbers on the force applied to the sway but it was quite a bit more.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote