Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
evanhix

Buying a Carbon 357 - Have questions.

Good day, I am new to this forum and have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer. I am upgrading from an Attitude bumper pull toy hauler to a 5th wheel. We have decided on a Carbon 357 because we had a specific set of needs that it meets.

First, I am looking for some feedback on the trailer? I hope we have made a good decision.

The second, more serious question, I have a stock 2015 F-250 4x4 CC 6.7l. I know that this trailer will overload it on the pin weight, but I just can't justify buying a daully to tow 5-6 times a year. My truck is a daily driver and I couldn't even get into the employee parking lot at work with a daully. I have read many threads and I know the overwhelming response is that it is not a good idea. I guess my question is, how many of you out there are safely and successfully towing a similar rig without problems? I live in southern California and see larger rigs than the Carbon we are purchasing being towed with F-250s. I know it doesn't make it ideal but those of you who are experienced with a similar set up, what modifications have you made to your trucks to handle the increased load?

Third, I have chosen a B&W companion slider. Any feedback on this hitch?

I'm just looking for some positive responses to validate my decision.

Thank you in advance.
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
notanlines

Evan, I believe you are looking for a few members to back your decision to tow this rig even though you already know you have chosen to live dangerously. I'm quite certain this 5v'er pin weight is over 3000 pounds, probably in the 3500 pound area when you hit the road. I'm not certain of this but when you pull out of the drive with family on board your truck will be in the neighborhood of 2000 to 2500 pounds over GVW. I've got a good idea.....load everything in the garage and that will take all the extra weight off the pin load and you'll be okay. Uh, let me get my tongue out of my cheek.
Nope, I don't think many here will jump on your bandwagon.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
MontanaMike

I bought a 2015 Carbon 357 (pin weight 3100lbs) and it's a great toy hauler. No problems with it a year and a half later. Your mileage may vary.

I had a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 (CTD) when I bought and it really wasn't enough truck and I wasn't interested in risking life/limbs and money on towing with an underrated vehicle.. I ended up getting a 2015 Ram 3500 (CTD single axle long box) and so far, it's been a great experience pulling the 357. My 3500 is my daily driver as well and it's not too bad on the kidneys. ;-) My suggestion: get a bigger truck but you don't need a dually. Not sure what Fords load rating its but my single axle RAM 3500 is rated at almost 4400 pounds which with my family, fuel, etc, should be pretty close to max.

B&W makes a great hitch. I had my new truck equipped with the B&W turn-over ball and companion hitch. Easy hook ups, towing and, more importantly, easy unhooking. I don't have any experience with the slider but if it's anything like their other hitches, it should be great.

Note: A guy down my street whom I don't know bought an Impact 361 which is essentially the same as the Carbon 357 (with some upgrades it looks like) and was towing it with a mid-2000's Dodge 2500 much like I was. As far as I can tell, he had about 3 trips into when a brand new Ram 3500 with new vehicle stickers on it showed and the old 2500 has been MIA. I assume he did the same thing I did and discovered that a RV of that size needs something more to tow it. I think he's a pro truck driver as well. Really cements my year-old argument with the wife on the why we needed a new truck. ;-)
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550X2
MontanaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
1jeep

I don't have a 357, but do have a carbon and yes they are lower level 5th wheel toy haulers. Ours had a couple growing pains, but we like it. We do have the generator, 3 batteries, 2nd AC unit and few other options. I do wish it had a awning over the garage side door.

When we bought it last year I had a 2011 f250 crew long bed with the 6.7, it did ok towing, but I had to put in air bags and I was OVER my 10k GVWR. I now have a f350drw and for me I am more comfortable towing this trailer.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
MickLittle

Cool

Evan,
We too have a Carbon. It is a model 347. Very similar in weight. We have really enjoyed this toy hauler. Like everybody else we have had minor issues such as loose screws, sealant, and misc. Not any big issues. Seems to be built pretty good. We looked at numerous toy hauler before our purchase. Keystone's were one of the heaviest we looked at. (Maybe that's why the build quality is better).
As far as tow vehicles; your F-250 may be a little on the overloaded side for these haulers. I tow with a 2012 F-350 PS SRW long box. Truck pulls it great. No issues there, but I sometimes wish I had a dually for extra weight ratings and security reasons. I too use my truck to commute with. If you do tow with your F-250, you may need springs or air bags. Weight distribution plays a big part on these haulers as well. Also keep in mind about what your TV tires are rated.
As far as hitches...Don't know much about sliders.... Never had a need to have one. Guess I can't give an opinion on those.
Hope all goes well with your decisions!
MickLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's look at some numbers and then look at some recent events:

First, the Carbon 357 is listed with an empty weight of 12712, a cargo capacity of 4288 which gives a GVW of 17000 pounds. The empty hitch weight is 3060 pounds. That's without the second A/C, generator, hydraulic levelling system or any other "front heavy" optional equipment.

The 2015 F250 156" 4x4 6.7L diesel XLT has a payload of around 2200 pounds and the Lariat has a payload less than 2000 pounds. So depending on which level trim your current F250 "sports", you're already 1000 pounds overloaded before you put a hitch, passengers or any cargo in either the truck or the trailer. The F250 is rated by Ford with a GCWR (truck plus trailer) maximum weight of 23,500 pounds and is rated to tow a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer "up to" 15900.

No matter how you "cut the cards" you're going to be overloaded. With the truck at GVW, your GCWR only leaves 13500 pounds for the trailer. By the time you add a battery, propane and a tool bag, you're maxed out. That doesn't leave any room for cargo in the trailer, cargo or passengers in the truck and no "toys" in the garage. You'll also likely be over your rear axle maximum as well as driving on overloaded tires and possibly wheels.

Here is a quote from one member that was recently posted in a different thread: "I towed over payload even though axels, GCWR, tow rating, and tires were well within published numbers. I towed with an F250 diesel for 3000 miles. The payload was 2247#, the loaded pin was 1950, the hitch 240. That is 2190# which left 57# for everything in the bed, my wife, me, 2 dogs, and a can of Diet Coke plus a cooler and more. All totaled I figured 750 - 1000# over."

In your proposed rig, you will be at least "double that much" over.

Here's another quote from a member: "Just the other day, we visited my DS in Paso Robles, CA. On the way in we came upon a Commercial Enforcement CHP (the guys in coveralls that run around in the pick-up trucks) who had a toy hauler pulled over at a spot along Hwy 46 where they have room along the road to inspect big rigs. The toy hauler was hitched to a 3/4 ton diesel. I don't know why the officer stopped him, but on the way home, the toy hauler was still parked there without the truck. I would speculate that the officer would not let him continue on his way due to his being overloaded. The point of my post is to give everyone a 'heads up' that what John alluded to is already happening around here."

And another: "I've been saying rigs are being weighed in Ca. For a while, nice to know someone else saw it first hand."

Your profile indicates that you're living in Simi Valley CA. That puts you in the basic general vicinity of where those RV's were being stopped. (California).

It's entirely up to you as to what you decide to do. If you're already "settled on the decision" and are looking for someone to confirm that you'll be OK, I think you've already got your answers in the multiple posts saying it's not a good idea. If you do go ahead, best of luck and here's hoping you don't get caught by those checking RV's for being overweight. Even more important, here's hoping that nobody is hurt by your decisions.

My opinion, for what it's worth: You need a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
evanhix

Thank you all for taking the time to respond with information.

However, now I have gone from worrying about it to being sick to my stomach thinking I am going to either be ticketed, or worse, have a catastrophic equipment failure resulting in injury.

Ugghh, I am picking the trailer up next week and now I am torn over spending $$$$ on the the slider hitch, airbags and onboard compressor on a truck that will likely need to be replaced in short time.

That's what I get for asking I Guess. HAHA
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post

Ugghh, I am picking the trailer up next week and now I am torn over spending $$$$ on the the slider hitch, airbags and onboard compressor on a truck that will likely need to be replaced in short time.
Just to remind you that the addition of airbags and an onboard compressor will do nothing to increase the towing capacity of your already overloaded truck. The bags may provide you with a softer ride and make the two units sit more level but that is about it.

Sorry, but I too cannot validate or support your decision to pull the Carbon 357 with a 3/4T.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
brad05

Did your RV dealership steer you in the right direction? They should have been giving you the facts around your trucks towing capacity etc...???Get the dually and move on, life is to important.....
brad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
Face Down

I guess you have the answer on the truck ?? by now....BTW I have a Dually and don't think I would want anything else pulling this camper.

As for the 357...we have had ours for almost two summers now and absolutely love it. You can search for a post I made last fall about our first year impressions, we have used it as much or more this year and still we are extremely happy with our purchase. We shopped and searched a ton before we bought and when factored in quality and cost, I don't think there was a better match for us out there. I had a few minor warranty issues (leaky black tank valve, some inside LED light failures) but those were fixed this Spring and have not returned.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeep View Post
I do wish it had a awning over the garage side door.
I was going to do that this year but instead built a new golf cart which took my extra $$. After spending last week in the blazing Carolina direct sun I will definitely be adding one before next season. I did get the measurements from a Raptor 375TS and will be posting my install here.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #12
1jeep

I wish I did the awning this summer, but spent my money on upgrading to a dually early on in the season...I have no regrets on that either! This winter I will get that awning even if it is manual old school type. However now that we have a bigger more capable truck my wife is already looking at bigger trailers, we miss not having a real dining table.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #13
cvma.eagle

carbon 357

I am really considering this TH. After looking at some of the posts, I feel I might want to reconsider, now as I have a GMC 2500 Denali, which would be the vehicle to move the TH.
From the posts, it would appear no matter what the dealer says, this truck might not be up to the task. And right now, it's either look at another unit, or spend more money than we had planned to move into this unit.
I like the advise being shown here and respect the feed back. Any ideas if I am spinning my wheels in considering the Carbon, or need to start looking at another unit.
Eagle
cvma.eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
1jeep

Re: Buying a Carbon 357 - Have questions.

cvma....I think your going to find almost all 5th wheel toyhaulers are at the cargo capacity limits of a 3/4 ton truck and some 1ton srw also. The carbon 347 is the newer version of my carbon and it still has a 3000lb pin weight.

I assume you want to keep your truck, maybe consider looking at a travel trailer toy hauler. I have a buddy that has a gmc 2500 and that's what he just did, most of the items in his trailer are shared from mine.