Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
Rabidd

Onan 5500 conversion

Has anyone done a propane conversion on a 5500 Onan going from gas to propane. If you have does this eliminate the hard starting problems and all the issues with the ethynol gas messing the carb up.
Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
dcg9381

Have not done the conversion. So take this for what it's worth.

* Propane will increase your fuel consumption by 20-25% (ballpark)
* It may not work very well or at all, during cold temperatures.
* You'll make less power with propane, typically - probably only an issue at higher altitudes where power is further reduced.
* It'll get rid of any ethanol/carb problems.

I've owned 3 5500 Onans. I've never had issues with Ethanol in the gas, probably because I stabilize (marine stabilizer) every single drop of gas that goes into the RV or I use non-ethanol fuel (AV fuel or other). I also run that generator at a minimum of once every 45 days.

If I was going to let it sit, I'd disconnect the fuel pump (or put in a disconnect switch) and run it out of fuel... Or I'd drain the bowl. The fuel in the tank, stabilized, is probably good for 12 months.

Can really respond to "hard start" issues - haven't had them... Yet.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:56 AM   #3
spicercars

I run only non oxy in the gererator. That way I have no carb problems. Never had problems with hard starting. Are you sure your running the fuel pump before cranking?
Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Have not done the conversion. So take this for what it's worth.

* Propane will increase your fuel consumption by 20-25% (ballpark)
* It may not work very well or at all, during cold temperatures.
* You'll make less power with propane, typically - probably only an issue at higher altitudes where power is further reduced.
* It'll get rid of any ethanol/carb problems.

I've owned 3 5500 Onans. I've never had issues with Ethanol in the gas, probably because I stabilize (marine stabilizer) every single drop of gas that goes into the RV or I use non-ethanol fuel (AV fuel or other). I also run that generator at a minimum of once every 45 days.

If I was going to let it sit, I'd disconnect the fuel pump (or put in a disconnect switch) and run it out of fuel... Or I'd drain the bowl. The fuel in the tank, stabilized, is probably good for 12 months.

Can really respond to "hard start" issues - haven't had them... Yet.

^^^ That pretty much sums it up. I had an Onan 4000 that had been converted to LPG. My biggest PRO was that it always started right up, even after prolonged sitting. My biggest CON was lugging around that extra cylinder (I carried a 10 gal.). If you stay with gas, Sta-Bil or avgas is your friend. I never got into cold enough weather where vaporization/pressure became an issue, so I don't know at what point that becomes a problem. Personally I would probably not convert to LPG, the one I had was done by a previous owner.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Rabidd

Thanks for the info is there a drain on the fuel tank?
Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
dcg9381

Not on my tank. It's not the tank that you want to drain. It's the "bowl" on the carb, which will have a drain, typically 10mm or so.

Fill the tank. Stabilize the fuel (marine stabilizer). It's probably good for a year and helps prevent rust in the tank. If you're in a state where you can get non-ethanol fuel, this will help greatly.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote