Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
parkgirl

black tank outside vent stink

Our blank tank is causing an awful stink outside when we flush inside. We're on a permanent site and when we arrived this weekend, there was a smell inside when we flushed a few random times, then that completely went away but when we sit out on the deck and someone inside flushes the toilet we get an awful smell from the outside vent. That doesn't sound to me as if the vent is blocked so I'm very confused about what it could be. Any ideas?
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You might be getting the smell from a "backup" of sewer gases in the campground which are finding their way into your unit. I'd close off your holding tank valves - including the main dump valve - and see if this produces any improvement. Don't open your valves until one or more of your tanks are full.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
parkgirl

Oh, I forgot to mention that even though we're on a permanent site, we are not on a sewer, so we keep our black tank closed all the time and have scheduled pump outs when it's full, so there are no campground gases coming in. It's just a smell outside when our toilet inside is flushed.
parkgirl
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
dcotton4

Sounds like you might need to sanitize your blackwater tank. Dave
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcotton4 View Post
Sounds like you might need to sanitize your blackwater tank. Dave
I agree, Often times when on a "pump-out" schedule, all that's done is to empty the tank contents. No flushing, no cleaning of the side walls by using a pressure wand or black tank flush fitting, so the "crud" continues to build up on the tank walls and floor. When the tank is empty, there's no water to "contain the vapors" so it tends to migrate up the vent stack. Flushing will displace some of the volume in the tank forcing a bit of "aromized air" up the vent stack.

A good thorough cleaning and use of adequate tank deodorizer/sanitizer after cleaning will help, but on a "closed system" the smell has to go somewhere. Better "up and out" rather than "up and inside".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
bobbecky

You say your black tank valve is closed, but what about the gray tank valves? If they are left open, your tanks and the associated plumbing, including the vent from the gray tanks, is a direct vent for the sewer system in the park. To avoid the smell, you really need all the drain valves closed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
therink

I too am on a seasonal site with no black tank sewer hook up (gray only). While the campground offers a pump out service, I prefer to dump my black tank into my toter tank and take to dump station myself. The reason for this is so I can also take the time to flush the tank.
Once my tank is empty and flushed and drained, I add 5 gallons of water mixed with one cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, 1 cup dawn (got the idea on this forum). I dump the mixture from the bucket right down the toilet. I never have odor issues and I go a out 3 weeks between black tank dumps.
You may want to ask your dump service if they will take the time and help you flushed the tank next time.

You may want to ask your pump out servoce

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
parkgirl

Thank you everyone for your replies. We use a good enzyme product and every so often I do the Calgon rinse treatment. We make sure we get it as clean as we can by occasionally ordering a pumpout when we don't really need it and I fill up the tank with water. Sometimes also when I'm in the trailer and the pumpout guy arrives, I ask if I can run some water at the end and he's usually cool with that. So I don't think it's a dirty tank issue especially too since we don't as a rule have any problem inside. It's outside we smell it.

I'm wondering whether this might be simply because we have a raised deck and so we are just sitting closer to the top of the trailer and that this emission of foul odour is part of the normal functioning of the vent???

parkgirl
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
dcotton4

Also when the air is damp and heavy sewer gas will hug the ground instead of dispersing into the air
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
parkgirl

Oh, dcotton4, you may have hit on something. It has been an incredibly damp, wet summer so maybe that's why we are noticing it.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
hankaye

parkgirl, Howdy;

You could try one of these or something similar ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000F32V2W

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
parkgirl, Howdy;

You could try one of these or something similar ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000F32V2W

hankaye
Maybe a device that assists in drawing odors out of the vent would add to Parkgirl's problems?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
parkgirl

well, this is interesting because i did look into the cyclone vents and also the popular 360 Siphon vent cap and the info about them talks about how they help draw those nasty odours up and out the vent which is what our vent seems to be doing just fine on its own. (although perhaps the rotating cyclone will help disperse the smell better). Nobody else seems to be bothered by this though so i'm wondering if maybe its the location of our vent on the roof or that we need a longer vent pipe... this weekend i'm going to ask around at the trailer park and see if anyone else with a raised deck notices a smell and also we'll go up on the roof and see if we can figure anything out.
thanks everyone!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #14
mguay

I had half of your problem. When left for extended periods the smell was horrible in the bathroom. What I found out was that the intelligence at Keystone installed the black tank vent right behind the roof vent. If the roof vent was open...all you could smell was sewer gas. I tried the Cyclone and it worked if the wind was blowing right. If it was blowing in the wrong direction, it was worse. I went with the 360 and haven't smelled it since. Here's my experience with pump outs. If the guy is using too much suction, out comes the water leaving the solids to dry up and stink. We would run into it all the time at NASCAR events as the guy is in a hurry to get to the next one.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk