Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Wanderlustincolorado

Am I Stupid?? How to turn furnace on??? Water Heater Reset???

Hi,
I just bought a 2005 Challenger. It has a roof top AC/Heat unit that has a remote control. Because there are floor registers I am perdy sure it has a furnace, too. I don't see a thermostat anywhere. I think the furnace is located below the TV - there is a wooden panel with vents.
What am I missing here?
Thanks!
Patty

Since I am asking, the reset button for the hot water heater, located by the sink, has a red reset light on. I went out to the heater and pushed both of the reset buttons....but it doesn't seem like anything is happening. Do you push one at a time or both together? Should I be able to feel some little post that gets pushed back in? (I don't feel anything poking out)>

Thanks!
Patty
Wanderlustincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Most thermostats are mounted on a wall somewhere - usually in the center of the RV or close to it at the same level as your stick-house thermostat. It will most likely have controls and settings for both your A/C and the furnace.

I would be very surprised if you did not have a furnace - the registers are a good clue!
The actual furnace can be located in a variety of places. In ours, it is beneath the fridge. I have no idea where it is on your RV. Where ever it is located, there will be a "grill" or louvered cover in front of it to allow fresh air into the furnace. I know this isn't the time of year, but if you turn the furnace on, listen for the fan and use that as another clue as to its location.

I've not seen any reset button or switch for the HW heater that is inside the RV. There may be one or two "ON/OFF" switches. There will be one for sure for the gas portion of the HW heater. There may be another one for the electric side of it beside it or that switch may be outside the unit. To find this switch, open the outside compartment "door" to your HW heater. Look in the lower left-hand corner for a small, black rocker switch. If it is there, this is the On/OFF switch for 110VAC - the electric side of the HW system.

You can use both propane and electricity to heat your water.

The two, black reset buttons should be pushed in when you are not getting hot water by electricity. That is only 1 thing to try if the electric side is not working. I'd look for the tiny rocker switch first and go from there.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I wonder if the "reset" light she is talking about is the DSI fault light. It should turn on when you turn the switch on, but then go out when the flame ignites. I would first verify that you have propane in the tank, it's turned on and if a dual tank system, the regulator is switched to that tank.

Then turn the Switch on and go out to the W/H. You should hear the igniter trying to light the flame. It may take a few tries depending on how far " down the line" the heater is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
GaryWT

As others have said there should be a thermostat somewhere with settings for fan/AC/heat. The AC unit is most likely just AC. Look outside for the small square or rectangle exhaust and that is where the furnace is. If the water heater is not on, just shut the lighted switch off and turn it back on to see if it kicks on. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
kellydog98

I didn't notice if you actually 'turned on' your hot water switch. Should be an on/off switch under the reset buttons. You must have this on then the switch on in the camper itself. Once all is on...press the reset again and you should be right as rain.
I've had a remote where-in it was the controller for the heat and air conditioner. Keep looking, and when all else fails, refer to your TV manual.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, hot water heater