Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
bwright

Electrical

When it comes to electricity, I am a high schooler. Is it ok to run my Keystone a/c hooked up to my outside 20 amp outlet or will I damage the unit?

2015 Montana High Country 353RL
2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Powerstroke
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
RichR

It should work as long as you don't run any other appliances at the same time. If you need an extension cord go no less than 12 gauge and keep it as short as possible.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
dirt33

bwright,

When I first got my Bullet home (100 degree day), I plugged in into a regular house receptacle, but I had to use a long (75 feet) extension cord to reach the nearest outlet on the exterior of the house. It would pop the breaker in the trailer, and the house as well.

I was able to rig a temporary solution to use the trailer power cord to hook directly into an outlet inside the house without using any extension cord (had to use the adapter of course from 30 amp trailer cord to house outlet). The AC ran fine then.

I have now had a 50 amp receptacle installed on the outside of the house where the trailer sits (using a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter of course). The electrician doing the work said yeah, the AC would run fine off of 20 amp house power, but the length of the extension cord was what was tripping the breakers. It was not a very heavy gauge cord either, which certainly didn't help. I knew it likely wouldn't do the job, but was anxious to try and get the AC going to get the trailer cooled down.

So, yeah you will be fine. If you do need an extension cord to reach the nearest outlet, probably better bite the bullet and spend the $50 or more for a good 30 amp cord from an RV place.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote