Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
wbdvt

Cougar 21RBS closet shelves

Hi,
In the TT, there is a large wardrobe closet to the left of the bathroom. I plan on installing Closetmaid wire shelving on one half to make a pantry type thing. I had done this in a previous TT but the shelving extended the full width. In this it would only be half. Therefore I need some sort of lip to keep the bins from sliding off to the side.
I am thinking of installing a piece of aluminum angle iron on the side to make a lip but has anyone done something different?
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
TheBeans

Just chiming in here to request that when you do this mod to please take photos as you go thru the process and share them here. We have almost the same rig and I've also thought that closet could be improved by having shelving on just one half but I'm completely stumped on how to do it! Thanks!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Western Traveler

I suspect you are already aware of the rough ride at that end of the trailer. We are going to continue using it as a wardrobe with the heavier stuff in the cupboard below. We will add some type of rail across the top shelf to keep things from consistently tumbling from it (shoes, boots, hats, etc) but I would be concerned with the jackhammer effect with anything heavy stored on additional shelves in that compartment. It might be good for folded clothing though.
just my thoughts...

On another note;
The splashing water from the toilet has finally been tamed thanks to advise gleaned from this forum.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
I suspect you are already aware of the rough ride at that end of the trailer. We are going to continue using it as a wardrobe with the heavier stuff in the cupboard below. We will add some type of rail across the top shelf to keep things from consistently tumbling from it (shoes, boots, hats, etc) but I would be concerned with the jackhammer effect with anything heavy stored on additional shelves in that compartment. It might be good for folded clothing though.
just my thoughts...

On another note;
The splashing water from the toilet has finally been tamed thanks to advise gleaned from this forum
What did you do that finally tamed that errant water?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
wbdvt

I understand that it may be a rough ride back there but I had the same setup in my previous TT except that the shelving went across the full width of the wardrobe. We had no issues with anything in that wardrobe. The items are all in plastic bins and consist mainly of many small things like spices, cereals, coffee, etc although can goods were in there also.

The discussion could interesting about the ride in the back of the TT being rough but that would be outside the topic of this thread.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
The discussion could interesting about the ride in the back of the TT being rough but that would be outside the topic of this thread.
The rough ride was mentioned as a consideration for the stoutness and material one would use to support the shelving unit. Within the topic IMHO

The Saran Wrap we use to keep the water in the bowl certainly isn't so my apologies in getting off track.

I will be interested in seeing photos of your installation as well.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
wbdvt

Sorry if I wasn't not clear on my statement on the rough ride. It is just that I have seen threads in the past with many discussions on rough ride in back of a TT, especially ones with a rear kitchen. People that own those say they never have a problem with stuff bouncing excessively.

I plan on using rails with brackets. In my last TT I was able to screw into the aluminum channel in corner and the other one I used plastic anchors with epoxy.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
wbdvt

Oh, here is a pic of what I did in last TT, so it will be something similar but will most likely have aluminum angle on the right edge as the new TT closet is twice the width.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1973r.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	5899  
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 05-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
TheBeans

Here's a thought....and it may not even be a viable one: what if you turned the wire shelves over, so that the part that is hanging down (in front, in your photo) is right-side up, acting as a 'stop' for things to slide off? Of course, that won't mean anything to the sides if the shelving is only half the width of that closet....
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Sorry if I wasn't not clear on my statement on the rough ride. It is just that I have seen threads in the past with many discussions on rough ride in back of a TT, especially ones with a rear kitchen. People that own those say they never have a problem with stuff bouncing excessively.

I plan on using rails with brackets. In my last TT I was able to screw into the aluminum channel in corner and the other one I used plastic anchors with epoxy.
I'm not sure which people you've talked to that own a rear kitchen RV and "don't" have issues. We've owned two rear kitchen models and it takes an entirely different perspective to load and protect things in the rear kitchen. There are several members here who report broken dishes, cupboard doors being forced open and contents spilled onto the floor and even microwave turntables being broken in rear kitchen models. I'd double check with those people who say then never have a problem with stuff bouncing excessively. I'm guessing they park their trailer and never tow it if they don't have problems. It's the nature of the rear kitchen "beast".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
theeyres

A nicely finished wood strip could be neatly wired to the ends of the wire racks. I can do anything with wood--but forget metal--thus my idea. Turn the wire racks over and make the wood strip the same height or a little higher than the front edge of the wire rack.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closetmaid, cougar 21rbs, shelving, wardrobe