Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #1
BSHGTO

5th wheel Generator box

Moved up to a 5th wheel Montana High Country and realized after I got it home my Yamaha 4500 inverter that I used for the old TT would not fit in the bed and clear the new slider hitch with the short bed truck I have and I wasn`t looking forward to running the gen basically under the bed room for noise as quite as it was and carbon monoxide reasons while sleeping. After figuring mounting the 255lb thing on the back and having to take it off after every camping trip with my engine crane was going to be no fun at 64 years old, I sold the monster to the neighbor and came up with this idea. Now I can remove the 55 lb Yamaha 2000 inverters gens one at a time easily and have a little more power to boot. I made a custom wiring harness to run one, two or three depending on load requirements of the day. One for cool weather, two for warmer weather that needs one A/C running and all 3 when I need both A/C`s running with power in reserve for the wife. I sound proofed the box so it`s very very quite with the top closed, suspended the gens on a tray with rubber suspension bands so that killed any vibration transmitted to the trailer. I feared over heating with the top down so I installed a fan that draws outside air in and changes the air in the box every 10 seconds. The pressure it creates inside the box actually pushes the exhaust way from the camper. Still fearful while sleeping I put another carbon monoxide detector in the back and one in the kitchen area and there is one in the bedroom ( read to many horror stories about carbon monoxide and campers )Did a few temp readings on a warm day, inside generator case temps went up 15 degrees and exhaust temps went up about 20 from open air tests so I`m not going to worry about it. Then could not find a carrier to hold that size box so I built one out of Aluminum and bolted the whole mess to the carrier and camper so it wont walk away without some difficulty. At 275 lbs with tray, box, gens w/ gas I`m still ahead. I now just have to remove the gens for winter storage and leave the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_104125_2.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	5866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_104008.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	5867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_120057.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	5868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_104214.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	5869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_104520.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	5870  

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
mguay

Nice Job!!!!

Have you hooked it up and gone down the road yet? With close to 300# on the rear that might create some issues with pin weight. Meaning you might have to add some more weight to the front of the rig.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
BSHGTO

nope

Been down the road many times with it and have not noticed any difference in towing. I do not carry water in the rear tank which is located right in front of the gen box underneath and is rated at 448 lbs full. I carry some water in a tank in the truck bed if I need to.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
sjturbo

Very nice piece of work! We have a eu3000 and I need to get my son to load it in the truck since we moved from TT to 5er. Son welded a great rack on the back of the trailer. The 5er has a rear living area so not sure about vibration and noise. The turbo fan looks great and should keep everyone cool back there.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote