Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Dometic Brisk Air Help

Hi All - I am trying to install a Hyper Engineering Sure-Start in our 15,000 btu Ac on a 2013 318sab. It seems like a great thing for us Boon Dockers. Anyway I am having trouble figuring out the wiring. I'm mostly not sure of the (active) terminal. It says it goes to neutral ac line. Does that mean it is connected to the common terminal? The Brisk air picture is at the unit itself. All that is in the unit is the compressor and the run cap. There is no contactor up at the unit and I don't think there is one in the control box wiring in the intake. The second picture is the control board connections. I tried to upload the pdf of the instruction sheet but it said it was to big. http://www.hypereng.com/literature/SS5101EH.pdf
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
superdog404
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic 459516 Brisk Air.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	5692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic 459516 Brisk Air 1.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	5693  
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Bob Landry

The common terminal is the hot going to the compressor and is going to be 120V. The neutral(AC Neutral) is a white wire going to one side of the capacitor and is is connected to the run terminal on the compressor.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Thank you Bob for the quick answer. Does that mean the "active" terminal on the Sure-Start goes to L2 which is common. It seems like there are to many wires going to common at the run cap. However I am probably trying to make things harder than they really are.

Thanks for your help
superdog404
Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Don't confuse L2 and Common or common and neutral. In A/C world common is always the hot lead to the compressor. L2 is the second hot leg in a 240V(L1-L2) source, but is often used to designate Neutral in a 120V/30A setup. In power strips that are marked, you will often see one terminal marked L1 which is the same for 120 or 240V and the second will be marked N/L2.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Hi Bob and everyone - With your help Bob I got the Sure-Start wired and working. I can not believe how those boxes actually work. I have been using 2 Honda 2000i generators to run the 15,000btu ac and now it will run with just one. I think I will probably still use the 2 gens especially at altitude but it can run on 1.
I am not employed or have any investment in Hyper Engineering. Just a user.
Superdog404
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Superdog,

Be careful about running a large load on a single generator like that. The more amperage you pull the hotter the generator windings get. As they get hot, the insulation on each individual wire winding will deteriorate. If the insulation overheats it can break down and short out. You won't seem any "significant" difference in performance, but instead of producing 1600 sustained watts, the generator will only be capable of producing, say, 1580 watts. You won't notice the change, but the remaining windings will heat even more causing more insulation to break down and degrade the output even further. Eventually, your generator's alternator winding will be so damaged it will need to be replaced.

I suggest you try to keep your amp load on the single generator to a max of 10-12 amps if possible and don't operate it above that load especially at high altitude or in extremely hot weather. Your generators will last longer with fewer problems if you don't overextend their output beyond their capabilities.

Think of it sort of like this: A gas engine is designed to operate at 6500 RPM max pulling a load of 10,000 lbs, so if you increase the load to 11,000 lbs and operate it at just at the max RPM (or maybe just a little over it) you're going to be pushing the engine past it's capabilities and know that it's "not supposed to be there" and it's not healthy for the engine, sooner or later, that extra load is going to cause a problem, It may not be this trip, or even the next trip, but sooner or later the engine will fail from being overloaded, your generator is much the same.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Thank you John for informative info. Running on the 1 gen. it was pulling 13 to 14 amps. The house 110v was also running the same. Actually the house was only at 113 volts or so and the generator was at 123 volts or so. The house cord was plugged into a 15 amp breaker which is probably not good either. I am pretty close to sea level so I will be running both generators when using the air. Your post confirms my guessing about running 1 or 2.

superdog404