Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
carmidy

How to mount TVs?

We bought our Passport 3350BH new in 2018. There are no stickers (that I am seeing in other posts about mounting TVs) saying "mount TV here." The only clue as to where to put a TV is the fact that there is a cable hookup near. And I'm not seeing anything in the manual about how to mount or how wide the studs (plates? some RV's apparently have plates or wider boards behind the wall to mount into?)

We are going into week 4 of living full time in our RV with 3 children during our home reno and I'd just really love to get our bedroom TV off the laundry basket and the TV up in the back of the bunkhouse.

1. I am capable of using a stud finder but have been told they're not accurate with RV studs. Is this true?
2. Can I use the standard hardware received with the TV mounts I purchased or do I need to use different screws?

TVs are 24" and very light. Mounts are just tilt mounts for the size of our TVs.
carmidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
BeagleMan

Following this too. This is something I'd like to do in my Outback 260UML. DW would love a TV in bedroom. When feeling around the wall, I do feel a stud in the middle close to the cable connect. Other sides are soft.

To the OP, I apologize for the mini hijack. I had in mind to make a post today on this very topic and since you beat me to the punch, I thought we could both learn from these guys. They are so knowledgeable.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
carmidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Following this too. This is something I'd like to do in my Outback 260UML. DW would love a TV in bedroom. When feeling around the wall, I do feel a stud in the middle close to the cable connect. Other sides are soft.

To the OP, I apologize for the mini hijack. I had in mind to make a post today on this very topic and since you beat me to the punch, I thought we could both learn from these guys. They are so knowledgeable.
Hijack away! The more info I get the better. Im really nervous about putting holes in these walls. 😆

In our master I cant find a stud or anything at all knocking around which makes me even more nervous.
carmidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't help with the front of the trailer, but here are photos I found online by using Google to search for "Passport 3350BH for sale". There's a photo of a TV mounted in the bunk room and two photos of the location of the "Mount TV here" decal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	30165   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	30166   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	30167  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Stud finders do work in RV's, both wood framed and aluminum framed trailers.

Use the stud finder and locate the studs. If mounting to an outside wall, depending on the type of mount you use, you may have to mount a wooden board across two studs first, then anchor the television mount to the board. If using an outside wall, make sure your screws are not longer than the thickness of your camper walls (for obvious reasons.

If mounting on an inside wall, do the same thing.

FYI, in all of our travel trailers, where we had installed televisions on the walls ourselves, we always used the mounts that attach to the wall, and the other half attaches to the television. When traveling, we could easily just lift the television off the bar, and lay it on the bed. There was never any stress on the wall this way and the television wasn't subject be being bounced up and down like a ball attached with a rubber band attached to a ping-pong paddle.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
ewbldavis

You might be able to push gently in area of TV mount. These walls are super thin, and "give". If an area doesn't "give" much, it may be where backing is for TV mount. You may be able to find it that way, then put a small screw in to confirm it's rigid enough to mount TV.

We have a sticker in bedroom, but it's curling and may fall off. Also, sticker location and backing aren't quite the same - I found sticker was off-place by pushing on wall panel a little.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:16 AM   #7
Shedboy

Have a 2019 Springdale 38FL, am the 3nd owner. Bdrm TV was attached w 2 #12 screws through a steel flat plate w a "V" shaped receiver. TV could be removed from wall plate by pushing it up to disengage a mating "V" shaped hitch on the TV swing arm.

Only one screw was in a 2x2 wood stud, the other screw was secured(?) in the paneling. A seam in the interior panels was also located over the stud.

I noticed that a mounting plate with a different mechanism was installed on the exterior of the trailer, a plate with two vertically aligned holes, each having a smaller hole on the circumference at the bottom of each big hole.

I found a TV swing arm assembly on Amazon that fit the exterior mounting plate and mounted it in the bedroom so that the TV can be easily removed from the bedroom and inserted in the exterior bracket.

I mounted the new plate on the bedroom wall by using two #12 screws into the stud and a third screw in the paneling toward the rear of the trailer. The location was chosen to prevent the TV from protruding into the doorway on one side and allow the TV to be stored and locked against the wall without interfering with a cabinet on the other side.

I used a stud finder to locate a secure place to install the mounting plate. There was no evidence of any kind of backing behind the paneling to support the TV other than the stud.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount