Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
rrklay

Montana bedroom A/C

I have a 2018 Montana. I was told that the A/C in the front bedroom has no heat pump. Is that true???
rrklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

My High Country doesn't.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
azchoco

Our 2016 3536RE doesn't. The rear unit does.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Main AC in living area has heat pump, bedroom does not. My understanding is that the heat pump requires more amperage than the AC and you cannot run two on 50 amp service so only one heat pump AC is installed. Your main AC is ducted to the bedroom so you will get heat throughout the entire coach from the heat pump
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Main AC in living area has heat pump, bedroom does not. My understanding is that the heat pump requires more amperage than the AC and you cannot run two on 50 amp service so only one heat pump AC is installed. Your main AC is ducted to the bedroom so you will get heat throughout the entire coach from the heat pump

It may pull more in heat mode but i doubt it.
Its the same thing except theres a reversing valve that switchs the freon around.

Plus the 50 amps is plenty for 2 even 3 hps.

Look at the motorhomes. They have three and only have 50 amps.

Remember you basicly have 100 amps of power. Each leg is 50 amps each. Unlike a smaller camper only has one leg of 30 amps.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I have worked on numerous class A motorhomes and yes they are 50A service with 3 15K A/C units, all HP.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
It may pull more in heat mode but i doubt it.
Its the same thing except theres a reversing valve that switchs the freon around.

Plus the 50 amps is plenty for 2 even 3 hps.

Look at the motorhomes. They have three and only have 50 amps.

Remember you basicly have 100 amps of power. Each leg is 50 amps each. Unlike a smaller camper only has one leg of 30 amps.
Yes and no. It is just a changing of valves, but there is also a defrost cycle that is used and a heat strip. Those two functions cause it to use additional amperage.

As for units with multiple heat pumps, the ones I’ve come across use a power management system to control how many are being used, typically only two at a time, but will shut one down if needed when running additional accessories such as microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer. Montana’s don’t have a power management system to monitor and control the power. I’m am strictly guessing at the reason based on my understanding of the systems. It could simply be a cost issue, but I don’t know if any 5th whee that has multiple heat pumps
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Yes and no. It is just a changing of valves, but there is also a defrost cycle that is used and a heat strip. Those two functions cause it to use additional amperage.

As for units with multiple heat pumps, the ones I’ve come across use a power management system to control how many are being used, typically only two at a time, but will shut one down if needed when running additional accessories such as microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer. Montana’s don’t have a power management system to monitor and control the power. I’m am strictly guessing at the reason based on my understanding of the systems. It could simply be a cost issue, but I don’t know if any 5th whee that has multiple heat pumps

Im unaware of any rv heatpump that has backup strips. They have the defrost but it turns the fan off in order not to blast cold air inside the coach.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, montana