Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
KJJ

Newbie (or way oldie) with a Passport 238ML in snowy Michigan

Hey all, just picked up a 2016 Keystone Passport Express 238ML, gonna try trailering after years of family and boy scout tent camping. Using the rest of Winter to kit out the trailer. My parents had a 16 footer back in the 70's, and they preferred to have me, a new driver then, back it into various backcountry tree-filled sites. Not sure how much of that talent is left cause it took 4-5 tries the two times I have backed the 25' 238 into driveways! Upfitted a low-mileage 2000 conversion van as my TV, 350 w/3.73 and factory hitch so I only added a big trans cooler, brake controller, and 7-wire connector. Now busily figuring out what to put on the trailer.
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum and congrats on the new rig! Sounds like you're going to have a ball come spring! Good luck and have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
14george

to the fourm congrats have fun
Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
tgoodwin321

Welcome KJJ! We also have a 2016 238ML and love it. Found it to be such a vast improvement over our tent we haven't really found too much we wanted to add. lol I did find a great deal on a couple Trojan T-108's this winter so out goes the 12v marine the dealer gave us. Added a disco switch to the battery box and added bed rails to the bunks for the kiddos. Only other thing I've really wanted to do that I haven't gotten around to is to add a power switch to kill the stereo at night. Thing is so bright! Enjoy the trailer and look forward to hearing about your mods and adventures.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJ View Post
Hey all, just picked up a 2016 Keystone Passport Express 238ML, gonna try trailering after years of family and boy scout tent camping. Using the rest of Winter to kit out the trailer. My parents had a 16 footer back in the 70's, and they preferred to have me, a new driver then, back it into various backcountry tree-filled sites. Not sure how much of that talent is left cause it took 4-5 tries the two times I have backed the 25' 238 into driveways! Upfitted a low-mileage 2000 conversion van as my TV, 350 w/3.73 and factory hitch so I only added a big trans cooler, brake controller, and 7-wire connector. Now busily figuring out what to put on the trailer.
Have fun. We bought a 2014 238ml & used it for 1.5 years and loved it. The only mod we did was add a black tank flush. We now have a 2810BH.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
KJJ

Hey tgoodwin, we are thinking alike! I have a ladder on order and saw a nice setup using 1x4s to make up some bunk bed rails. Also had the dealer put in twin 6V instead of the 12V standard. Is your switch for saving battery drain or to power from an inverter (TV, microwave)?

Also have water filter system on order and heat element for the A/C. Will be getting a pair of the Andersen wheel levelers and a big level I can see out the rearview mirror, probably the Andersen quick jack which will double as a jack stand.

And seriously considering a power jack.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
KJJ

Tbos, FYI the 2016 Passport brochure has a picture of a black tank flush in the Express equipment, but I sure cant find one on my unit! Must be one of those changes they disclaim in the fine print - at least they see the need.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJ View Post
Hey tgoodwin, we are thinking alike! I have a ladder on order and saw a nice setup using 1x4s to make up some bunk bed rails. Also had the dealer put in twin 6V instead of the 12V standard. Is your switch for saving battery drain or to power from an inverter (TV, microwave)?

Also have water filter system on order and heat element for the A/C. Will be getting a pair of the Andersen wheel levelers and a big level I can see out the rearview mirror, probably the Andersen quick jack which will double as a jack stand.

And seriously considering a power jack.
Adding a power tongue jack is an easy add (3 bolts & 1 wire) and makes things easier. I did add one to my 238ML and then transferred it to my new 2810BH.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
tgoodwin321

Switch is for drain while we're away during the days and storage. We use a small 100w cig plug inverter to power the TV when we want to watch it. May go with something bigger one day if we decide we can't live without a toaster or microwave at some point. Also considering a power jack when $$ permits. For now it's pretty good exercise.

I used a spare short rail that came with my oldest son's crib/toddler conversion bed on the top bunk to shorten the gap he could potentially fall through. The ladder I bought fits just right in the open space so he can get down to go to the bathroom at night if he needs to.

Btw I was tricked by the brochure on the black tank flush as well. Ended up buying a wand which did the trick at the end of last season.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:11 AM   #10
TLB

Welcome to the site

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote