Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
2rvnuts

Water heater issue on electric

We own a 2012 Montana 3582 and have are experiencing intermittent failure of the water heater on the electric side. Unit performs and heats when using propane satisfactory. We are snow birding and have not had the unit on the road for the last couple of months, so this intermittent failure is not caused by road vibration. When using the term intermittent I mean that the heater will work for days on end and then stop heating. I have checked the following, 1. Breaker 2. Conductivity between breaker and heating element 3 Switch is lighted on information panel.
All is in order, as of today I am on propane and electric side will not heat to a hot temperature only slightly warm maybe 80 degrees. I have let the water go cold shutting down gas and electric (rebooting) with electric unit will not get water hot. I am thinking the heating element is not working to full capacity and needs to be replaced. The electric has never been turned on with a dry tank.
Thank you
2rvnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds like the heating element or the thermostat. First, I'd just doublecheck the electrical connections in the junction box mounted on the rear of the HWH. If they are tight and secure, then the second bet would be the heating element. If you remove it and go to one of the big box stores, you can get a replacement for half the cost of what you'd pay at an RV dealership. Just be sure to let them know it's for a 120VAC circuit. If not the heating element, then it's pretty much down to the thermostat/reset switch. It is also replaceable, but you're pretty much stuck with the RV parts department for a replacement.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Javi

Either the board thermostat or the element.. probably the board..

It takes about two hours for mine to heat on electric... did you give it that long..
Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

With shore power disconnected remove both wires from the element. Using an ohm meter you should have a resistance of 12 to 14 Ω across the two screws if the element is good. An element either works or it doesn't, if problem is intermittent it is usually a Loose wire, circuit board or thermostat. Good luck and let us know what you find, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
ThePressureIsOn

I'm not sure if this could be the cause, but I had that happen on an older TT and it was a loose neutral wire on the neutral buss bar.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
2rvnuts

Water heater issue resloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
I'm not sure if this could be the cause, but I had that happen on an older TT and it was a loose neutral wire on the neutral buss bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Either the board thermostat or the element.. probably the board..

It takes about two hours for mine to heat on electric... did you give it that long..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sounds like the heating element or the thermostat. First, I'd just doublecheck the electrical connections in the junction box mounted on the rear of the HWH. If they are tight and secure, then the second bet would be the heating element. If you remove it and go to one of the big box stores, you can get a replacement for half the cost of what you'd pay at an RV dealership. Just be sure to let them know it's for a 120VAC circuit. If not the heating element, then it's pretty much down to the thermostat/reset switch. It is also replaceable, but you're pretty much stuck with the RV parts department for a replacement.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
With shore power disconnected remove both wires from the element. Using an ohm meter you should have a resistance of 12 to 14 Ω across the two screws if the element is good. An element either works or it doesn't, if problem is intermittent it is usually a Loose wire, circuit board or thermostat. Good luck and let us know what you find, Hank
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I and a friend found the thermostat to be defective. In addition the black positive wire broke off in my hand when inspecting the wire nuts located in the junction box. Break location point was in the junction box clamp. This simple repair was made by me and my friend, as my wife and myself did not want to get 5th wheel road ready and spend time on the road and in the repair shop. Our unit is under warranty but it was much faster and easier to do the repair on site and as it turned out the closest Keystone repair (Camping World) did not have the part in stock.
2rvnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Glad to hear that all is well. ..... If you want it done right you have to do it yourself. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rvnuts View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I and a friend found the thermostat to be defective. In addition the black positive wire broke off in my hand when inspecting the wire nuts located in the junction box. Break location point was in the junction box clamp. This simple repair was made by me and my friend, as my wife and myself did not want to get 5th wheel road ready and spend time on the road and in the repair shop. Our unit is under warranty but it was much faster and easier to do the repair on site and as it turned out the closest Keystone repair (Camping World) did not have the part in stock.
Good job, nothing like it when a plan comes together, enjoy
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote