Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Don't have a clue where the OP is located (never heard of Harmony) but in Texas, if you call the Texas State Consumer Affairs gaggle, they will tell you that they will take your complaint and record it and if enough similar are recorded they will investigate. I called about treatment AT&T gave my wife and I and that is what I got. Hopefully the Harmony Consumer Affairs gaggle is more useful. I then called the TX State Atty office and they contacted AT&T and I got a call from an AT&T VP and the matter was resolved. AT&T was obviously in the wrong and was hanging on to our money after we quit them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
dutchmensport

Have you done any research on attorney's and the prices they charge? We had to use an attorney about 13-14 years ago. It was a nightmare then. Back then (13-14 years ago), there was a $1000 retainer fee to even talk to them about our problem. Then, they charged $250 an HOUR for anything they did. Anything! Including travel time to and from court and when the defendant didn't show for court, we still had to pay the attorney his time, from the time he left his office to the time he returned to his office, if court was in session or not.

Add to that, we learned the VERY hard way, that any Email, to the lawyer, or from the lawyer cost us 1/4 hour. So, if we sent an email, that was 1/4 hour charge. His response was 1/4 hour. As you can imagine, before the whole thing was over, we were out of pocket over $20,000 JUST for lawyer fees and we never collected a penny from the bum we were trying to collect from.

Again, this was years ago. I can't imagine what lawyers charge now. So, before jumping on the lawyer band wagon, counsel with your pocket book first. Because in the end, it might be cheaper to just count the losses with the camper, pay for your own repairs, and move on.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #23
LHaven

One other factor: only two or three states have "lemon laws" that include non-motorized RVs. Look up your state's law, look for that exclusion, and prepare to be disappointed.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
One other factor: only two or three states have "lemon laws" that include non-motorized RVs. Look up your state's law, look for that exclusion, and prepare to be disappointed.
In the states that do have RV lemon laws, some only apply to motorized (such as a Class A, etc.).
Old 12-29-2021, 04:58 AM   #25
Joshwyle

Im in NC. Im calling Keystone today. There quality control is horrible. I hv lights that wont turn off. Heck the thermostats are not connected to the correct zones. Garage reads main and main reads garage. I would be typing all day to list the issues
Joshwyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:10 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m not going to try to defend Keystone, but I will say that your dealer failed miserably in the pre delivery inspection. Any RV can come from the factory with issues and it’s on the dealership to address/correct as many as possible before the customer takes it.

It’s not just a Keystone issue, I have seen $475,000.00 motorhome’s with several serious issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #27
dutchmensport

Just for an FYI, the first year we owned (brand new) our Montana 375FL (over 3 years now), I had over 80 issues in the first year. This included some issues I could not fix myself and warranty HAD to fix it.... Like wheel hubs and broken springs and destroyed brakes, door that didn't shut right, shelves that collapsed.

I learned real fast how horribly behind my RV dealership was with repairs, and after the third time I HAD to take it back, because the repair was over my head (and I'm a carpenter), I started taking matters into my own hands.

I felt like I literally rebuilt my entire trailer (myself). From top to bottom, things got fixed, re-done or straightened out as they unearthed. For the first year I thought I really purchased the wrong camper.

Then, all of a sudden, it all just stopped. We made our first successful trip and absolutely nothing broke, came loose, or fell apart. Then the second trip, then the third, and we made it completely through the second year of ownership with absolutely no issues.

Then, in the 3rd year, I started making self-imposed bloopers ... like turning on the water heater electric with no water in it (Oh duh!). But, at the beginning of the 4th year, we unearthed yet another original defect when we had problems with one of the slides. Just thinking it was normal wear and tear and knew we'd pay the price, no matter what it took to fix it, we took it in to our dealership (a different one from where we purchased it), and it turned out the electric motor for the slide had broken teeth in the gear box ... BECAUSE the entire motor was originally installed crooked, not parallel to the chain or cable! We discovered this in year 4!

Maybe it's time to just start taking a screw driver, a pair of pliers, a hammer, wire cutters, and duct tape in hand and just rebuild the camper yourself. Besides, if you are able to take it in for repairs, whose to say how long your repair center will have it and whose to say it will actually be fixed right when you get it back, and whose to say they'll actually fixed everything on your punch list anyway.

I know how frustrating you are right now. I think about 99% of us who have owned RV's of any brand have felt exactly like you do right now. But, you may be angry at Keystone, but there is something therapeutic and something to be proud of when you figure them out and fix things yourself.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Just for an FYI, the first year we owned (brand new) our Montana 375FL (over 3 years now), I had over 80 issues in the first year. This included some issues I could not fix myself and warranty HAD to fix it.... Like wheel hubs and broken springs and destroyed brakes, door that didn't shut right, shelves that collapsed.

I learned real fast how horribly behind my RV dealership was with repairs, and after the third time I HAD to take it back, because the repair was over my head (and I'm a carpenter), I started taking matters into my own hands.

I felt like I literally rebuilt my entire trailer (myself). From top to bottom, things got fixed, re-done or straightened out as they unearthed. For the first year I thought I really purchased the wrong camper.

Then, all of a sudden, it all just stopped. We made our first successful trip and absolutely nothing broke, came loose, or fell apart. Then the second trip, then the third, and we made it completely through the second year of ownership with absolutely no issues.

Then, in the 3rd year, I started making self-imposed bloopers ... like turning on the water heater electric with no water in it (Oh duh!). But, at the beginning of the 4th year, we unearthed yet another original defect when we had problems with one of the slides. Just thinking it was normal wear and tear and knew we'd pay the price, no matter what it took to fix it, we took it in to our dealership (a different one from where we purchased it), and it turned out the electric motor for the slide had broken teeth in the gear box ... BECAUSE the entire motor was originally installed crooked, not parallel to the chain or cable! We discovered this in year 4!

Maybe it's time to just start taking a screw driver, a pair of pliers, a hammer, wire cutters, and duct tape in hand and just rebuild the camper yourself. Besides, if you are able to take it in for repairs, whose to say how long your repair center will have it and whose to say it will actually be fixed right when you get it back, and whose to say they'll actually fixed everything on your punch list anyway.

I know how frustrating you are right now. I think about 99% of us who have owned RV's of any brand have felt exactly like you do right now. But, you may be angry at Keystone, but there is something therapeutic and something to be proud of when you figure them out and fix things yourself.

My experiences are like yours. I had never had the magnitude of problems I had with my previous trailer and initially I felt like the OP. Over time, some yelling matches, angry emails, thoughts of suing etc. it dawned on me I was peeing in my own Wheaties. Got everything I could fixed under warranty that I couldn't do myself and just kept at it until all was good and I had fun on every trip. Things aren't so bad in hindsight

That experience taught me what I try to tell everyone; having fun with an RV has as much to do with your frame of mind as anything; it's an entirely different experience from anything else. With all that money tied up folks naturally expect "excellence" - it just doesn't happen and the sooner a new owner realizes that then does what's needed to be done to fix the issues the sooner they will start having fun.

An individual trying to wage a legal war with a large corporation is a lost cause and large loss of money if all one has in their complaint is that the RV must be a lemon because it has "lots" of problems I didn't expect and it shouldn't have them....literally every RV comes that way these days and new owners deal with it - and that's exactly what will be told to the plaintiff if they sue.

As far as trying to get someone....anyone to think an unhappy RV owner is newsworthy well, good luck. And IF that little news blurb did happen it won't mean a thing. Hundreds (thousands) of RV dealers have negative comments about them and are still selling RVs as fast as they can get them. The trick is the mindset; learn how to deal with what you have so that you can begin enjoying the RV and having fun vs having the RV tied up for years, enduring daily mental stress and anguish plus throwing thousands down the drain to achieve nothing. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwyle View Post
Im in NC. Im calling Keystone today. There quality control is horrible. I hv lights that wont turn off. Heck the thermostats are not connected to the correct zones. Garage reads main and main reads garage. I would be typing all day to list the issues
I’ll be curious what Keystone says. I could be wrong ( have been before) but I’m thinking they are going to tell you contact your selling dealer to start the warranty process.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #30
Javi

I can see the anchor at the local station saying... RV buyer distraught after buying new trailer that needs 80 things fixed and thinks he is the first.

Rest of the story at 10

Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:44 PM   #31
Joshwyle

Yall are not very encouraging. Ill let u know how it turns out
Old 01-07-2022, 04:53 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:

You asked if would yield positive results if you contacted a lawyer or a news outlet. Folks were pretty much in agreement that neither would likely give you the resolution you were after. Hope you were not looking for encouragement pushing you in one of those directions as almost to a man, no one through they would bear fruit. Chuck mentioned working through your dealer would be your best course of action. Perhaps you should listen to him and be encouraged that this is the only avenue for getting your issue resolved. There were some sarcastic comments which you likely didn't appreciate but you have also been given positive suggestions.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:50 AM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I’m only going by my experiences as a technician at 4 different dealers, it was always the same answer not only from Keystone, but every manufacturer. I do hope the best for you, and yes please let us know how it goes.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Less than 10% of Americans own RV's. Those that don't typically assume that do are financially better off then they are. The news typically looks for stories of people being harmed and attorneys look for damages that result in pain & suffering, lost wages, destruction of property. While this may not be encouraging it is the truth.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #35
Joshwyle

I was just kidding about encouragement. Gues i shouldve added the lol. Thanks for yalls help and opinions
Old 01-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

We all wish you nothing but the best. Let us know how it goes.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #37
bsmith0404

I will echo the fact that the dealership I worked at got paid for warranty repairs on PDI. When I transported RVs I also remember a dealer telling me they had 48 hours after accepting delivery to send an inspection report to the manufacturer. If I remember correctly, those repairs were separate from the warranty process.

As for the floor joist being cut, personally, I don’t see that as much of a structural issue. My dad owned a construction company and I’ve been around construction as well. The 5/8” dyna span flooring which is a 8x24’ single sheet has enough strength to span multiple floor joists. The walls on a Fuzion do not sit in the floor, they rest on outriggers outside the floor framing. Would I have added additional bracing to sister the joist, probably, but it’s not required structurally.

As others have said, it sounds like your dealer caused mor problems than the product Keystone put out. Did they do a check in/check out process with you that stated any previous damage in the rv? I know the dealership I worked at made the customers sign a statement that identified pre-existing damage. Maybe your best course of action is a BBB complaint about the dealership. They at least have to respond to it. Google reviews are also something that many dealerships are starting to pay attention to.

Good luck. I promise you, there is a very nice RV under the ugly wrapping paper you’re trying to peel off.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote