Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #1
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

Anyone having issue with solid step? (tm) (aka first repair on new coach!)

New 2021 290BHS....I noticed the bottom of the main door is kicked out when the solid step is out and it takes a very firm push to close it.

Reason: the aluminum door sill plate has a 1/8th inch lip on the back, and the solid step flip over plate, sits on that, and it holds the plate up a bit so the rubber door seal on the bottom pinches out early, keeping the door from sealing when camping. (closes fine when traveling)

The fix: look on the bottom of the sure step flip over plate and you will see where the door sill has worn the paint off. so for the lip, use a dremel or ??? and grind off the 1/8th inch lip for that distance.

Skill level equivalent: making a peanut butter sammich.

second issue, and check yours - some installers installed the flip over plate and the floor mount NOT next to the trailer edge when open. Mine is about 3/8th inch. Because of the 'bevel' of the plate, it puts the beveled edge too close to the door, also exacerbating the problem.

this one is more insidious, they likely screwed 8-10 screws into the floor (and they dont appear to be SS - wth???) and Im not one to drill MORE holes cuz no one is complaining "My floor has too much structural integrity!"

The fix: mark the existing plate with a sharpie the exact location of the current screw in the slot.

EXACT.

Then measure the EXACT distance it has to move and for safety, deduct say 1/16th inch. then mark the EXACT location the new hole has to be. The old hole location was in a nice 1 inch long slot, now it has to be exact.

You will not weaken the base plate.

Use a drill press.

a 3/16th hole is good and then chamfer the hole with a 3/8th bit. This will let the screw recess and remove stress cracks from the hole - not that they will form. Spray with black epoxy paint if worried (12 hr dry time tho...)

But but but, this damn thing is heavy...

The step itself detaches from the base/flip plate assembly via 6 (3 on each side) 3/8-16 bolt/nylon nut combos. You may need a helper minion to get it apart and reassem, but the reduction of the assembly to the plates alone will let you get it to the drill press like a boss.

Skill level: you need a drill press. A handheld may walk, messin up the hole alignment. A little more technical but doable by anyone who had metal shop in school. replace the screws with 18-8 stainless. (in the hillman drawers at ANY hardware store)

I have some pics on the cell phone if you need reference. sent them to CW, and they admit its an issue they will fix, but they said the trailer will be with them for the rest of the calendar year - and I get that. Since the Keystone assembly warranty is basically "you are on your own once you hook it up" I am sad to report, hike the pants up and git to work...
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote