Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
pablopwnage

5th Wheel Hitch Security

Hey all,

I just got my B&W Companion 25K for the Ford ORM puck system installed today and I’m wondering what people are using to help add some security to make it harder for opportunists to come along and pull it out of the bed.
pablopwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:36 AM   #2
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopwnage View Post
Hey all,

I just got my B&W Companion 25K for the Ford ORM puck system installed today and I’m wondering what people are using to help add some security to make it harder for opportunists to come along and pull it out of the bed.
Mine has built in security, weight

Kidding aside, tailgate is locked, the 4 pins can be a bugger to turn and pull. The time it takes to get it out isn’t worth the reward (sell price). It doesn’t seem like the risk/reward is there. It’s way easier to get into the doors on your truck and take what’s in the cab then get the hitch out.

But, you could throw a plate into the jaws and then put a lock through the handle

For years Ford tailgates would walk away in the middle of the night. Now it’s Prius Catalytic Converters.

https://youtu.be/XfcqEd4abNU
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:03 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would think thief’s would take the whole truck before they take a hitch.

My truck sits on the driveway and the hitch hasn’t been taken.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:51 AM   #4
roadglide

I had the puck adapter The hitch would sit in place With pins I drilled it a hoe in the pin and locked it . With the Anderson I drilled through the pin and locked it. I agree with Chuckster B&W with the adapter is not a big target because of weight. Now the Anderson ultimate hitch at 45 pounds could easily disappear. The Anderson adapter on my trailer has a drilled hole on the bolt and locked.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch