Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Camperfun

Bullet 26 RBPR

Has anyone put a vent fan in the kitchen on this floor plan and if so where did you get the power source from I pulled the inner ring off and there is no 12volt source in there Can’t believe that they would make this model with no exhaust at all Range hood just recirculating not exhaust
Thanks
Camperfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Northofu1

You could try going to the range hood with a snake. It might be the closest place to pull from, remember it's on a slide and you'll probably need slack. The only other place would be a light. That would however be switched power.
Good luck.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperfun View Post
Has anyone put a vent fan in the kitchen on this floor plan and if so where did you get the power source from I pulled the inner ring off and there is no 12volt source in there Can’t believe that they would make this model with no exhaust at all Range hood just recirculating not exhaust
Thanks
Very common issue. There's been many discussions in the past about this. Typically you can find a ceiling light somewhere close by to tap off of. You may need to pull a light down and use a stiff wire or electrician's fish tape to pull a new wire over to the vent.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
Camperfun

Yeah I thought about the light and like you said it is switched for power The range hood goes in and out with the slide so getting power from that would be a job to get into roof
Old 01-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
WNY Bullet

I've been also hoping to do this mod, but I've been stumped on where to pull power from. All the ceiling puck lights are on a switched circuit, So you could replace them with individual switched puck lights and leave the circuit alway powered on.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
Camperfun

I figure how many times are you using the fan without lights on I am going to wire it to a puck light and just use the switch As the lights go bad I will replace them with the switch style I would rather have a fan to exhaust the kitchen
Old 01-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
Northofu1

Try the radio/DVD player. It has unswitched power. It isn't that far.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
WNY Bullet

The problem I had with the pucks lights was that all 4 were super bright lights that are on that switched circuit (All on or off). I only used them when packing or working on the camper.

I have since replaced the one closest to the front door and the one closest to the bathroom with switched puck lights and I leave them off. I replaced the two puck lights over the island with hanging pendant lights and use the switched circuit to control them.

I wanted to pull power from elsewhere so I could have it running at night for air circulation too without the lights on.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a constant 12 VDC available at the rear of the refrigerator and an overhead cupboard spanning the space from the refrigerator to the range. All you need to do is drill a 1/4" hole in the rear corner of the overhead cabinet and into the refrigerator cabinet space, just forward of the top vent (be sure NOT to drill into the refrigerator itself) connect to the 12 VDC wiring that powers the refrigerator, run that through the overhead cabinet and down to the range vent fan that you want to install.

Now, the venting of that range hood, recirculating or vented outside, is another issue. You'll need to carefully (VERY CAREFULLY) assess where the framework for the slide wall is located and plan your vent space to work with what you have available. I'd recommend that you DO NOT CUT A SLIDE FRAME MEMBER.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
Camperfun

It’s not even close Totally opposite side of kitchen
Old 01-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
Camperfun

This is not g go or a range hood it for a power vent fan Fantastic fan in a roof vent
Old 01-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #12
Northofu1

Plus the fridge is on the slide. The stereo has a constant source of power.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Camperfun

Does anybody know if there is a 12v source at the AC unit
Old 01-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It’s not even close Totally opposite side of kitchen
The floorplans I see for the Premier 26RBPR, the refrigerator is in one end of the slide, the microwave is overhead adjacent to it and the range/overhead cupboard is in the other end of the slide... Is this different from your floorplan? and if it is, could you post a photo of YOUR floorplan and a photo of YOUR kitchen arrangement?

Here is the floorplan I have. Is yours different?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26RBPR FLOORPLAN.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	31533  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #15
Camperfun

That’s exactly it The vent fan I am trying to put in is in the main roof in front of exhaust fan over stove I am wanting a fantastic fan in the roof vent The AC unit is in the center next to vent I was hoping for a pre wire for a fan but Keystone didn’t provide The over the stove exhaust fan does not vent outside it recirculates Gets hot in kitchen without exhaust
Old 01-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #16
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The floorplans I see for the Premier 26RBPR, the refrigerator is in one end of the slide, the microwave is overhead adjacent to it and the range/overhead cupboard is in the other end of the slide... Is this different from your floorplan? and if it is, could you post a photo of YOUR floorplan and a photo of YOUR kitchen arrangement?

Here is the floorplan I have. Is yours different?
The vent he wants to power is located in the roof between the range and island, not in the slide.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #17
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Does anybody know if there is a 12v source at the AC unit
That would be nice, but it doesn't

Old 01-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

OK.....

If you remove the plastic flashing from the roof vent (4 screws, one in each corner) you can pull the flashing down and access the bottom inch or two of the ceiling space. With a flash light, you may be able to locate some DC wiring in that space. As a "general rule" the 120VAC will be ROMEX and the 12VDC will be "individual strand wiring". Verify any wire you find that you want to use with a needle through the insulation before connecting it to an "expensive fan". Make sure you unplug the trailer from shore power before sticking needles in any wire, just in case someone at the factory "made a mistake".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #19
WNY Bullet

I'm wondering if one could install a 12v power supply tied into the AC unit to power a vent? I just couldn't run the vent fan if I wasn't on shore power

Old 01-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

I wouldn't do it that way for several reasons.

First, as you said, it would only work when connected to shore power or a generator.

Second, most 12 volt power supplies require venting if in an enclosed space, and the "above the ceiling space gets extremely hot with the sun beating on it in the summer.

Third, any "out of sight electrical device" can cause issues if it gets damp (that space will be "hot/cold" as the temperature changes, causing condensation) as well as the "out of sight/out of mind" issue with things like mice chewing wires, cracked insulation, and the inability to keep an eye on it.

Depending on the load and electrical interference, a 12 volt adapter may affect the air conditioner source.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with something like that "stuck in the ceiling, unmonitored".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
bullet