Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Whit66

The fabric on slide for 2019 Cougar 30RLS damaged

I would like some feedback on my issue with my 2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS 5th wheel. While on vacation in Grand Lake Co we were bringing in the kitchen slide and all of sudden it stopped. I crawled under the slide to find all the fabric/material was jammed towards the trailer. I extended the slide again and realized the material was separated from the flooring of the slide.

I had no choice but to remove the material, but that caused problems getting the slide in and out, I could hear the motor really working hard and at times it would jump and jam....

Has anyone experienced this issue? While on the road I looked at different models they were not using this material. Any ideas on how to repair this mess? By the way each time I was on 50 amp power..

I am attaching photos of the damage and what it looks like after the material was removed

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62181672224__53F33DBE-1E4D-4D7E-8EC3-6242BB6AB395.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	30432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5118.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	30433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5119.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	30434   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	30435  
Whit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Isaac

Similar issue

I had the metal skirting come loose from the underside of a new Keystone Cougar a bit back. I pursued it with Keystone and even though the screws securing the metal underskirt (the darker brown from the bottom half of the bins and under the RV to the insulation) were secured in the front by small bolt screws without a washer. As a result, as wind pulled on it the metal sheared off the screw and pealed off on the freeway.

Since this secures to the frame you aren't just tacking it back on with a self-tapping screw from Walmart and I didn't have a full set of tools with me (like a drill and bits) to do a better fix. I ended up with an insurance claim to get it fixed.

Later, Camping World found the leveling system was factory installed wrong (wires weren't properly terminated leading to a short in the rear jacks and damage to the control unit). This was a bit concerning as it was mounted near a propane line and under my bed.

Finally, the pantry cabinet isn't weight-rated for the bottom shelf so if you haven't done it yet - watch putting cans in there - it doesn't take much weight to break. Had anyone said this I could have just paid the dealer to reinforce it when I bought it.

Totally unsure what they did for the pre-delivery inspection costs...

Generally speaking, in working with Keystone they aren't quick to own their errors.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Whit66 I've seen all kinds of damage to darco but I've never seen that. How did it get pulled off one end?? It wraps over the ends, is staples, a transitions strip screwed etc. It might have torn in places but I can't figure the entire end being ripped like that from the slide going in and out.

The fabric coming loose and jamming on the wear bar would not be normal but it can happen. The darco is just glued to the bottom of the slide floor. Has it gotten wet under the darco causing it to let go?

Your situation is a pickle - you won't be "repairing" that darco. Trying to replace it with better material will be costly and time consuming. You might try insurance. I know it's a 17 but you might send those pictures to Keystone and advise them you want the structural warranty to cover it....if the 17s had it.

Others may have different ideas but I would recover the bottom with a hard, slippery surface - I used uhmw sheeting. I intially wanted to use teflon but at $800 per linear foot (or something like that) it was a no go for me and Keystone. The uhmw is about $300 for a 4x10 (2 for a slide) or a custom cut sheet is around 1k as I recall. You want to get it taken care of soon or moisture will eat that slide bottom up,
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
Whit66

I have no idea how it happened, at first the front edge of the slide separated from where it is just secured by a strip of metal. My only choice was try to secure it with duct tape.. My first try with the tape was a failure, when I tried to bring in the slide it jammed so I immediately brought it back out, that is when it was all bunched up... I have not idea why it was not secured completely with a glue type of adhesive..

I have been asked what did I do, nothing push the button to extend and then push the same button to retract... The CDX/plywood is not damaged and has not been exposed to any weather...

Of course my extended warranty already stated this fabric is not covered, but the motor, cables etc are, when I asked them why since the fabric is required so it goes in and out smoothly...

I have an appointment with a good RV Shop in Carson City on Tuesday,,, who knows...

I cannot figure out how they change this material....
Old 10-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

There are a couple of ways to replace the Darco. First would be to remove the slide, lay it on the exterior wall and replace the fabric. I’ve been a part of replacing slide floors and with the proper equipment it can be done with no evidence the slide was removed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit66 View Post
I have no idea how it happened, at first the front edge of the slide separated from where it is just secured by a strip of metal. My only choice was try to secure it with duct tape.. My first try with the tape was a failure, when I tried to bring in the slide it jammed so I immediately brought it back out, that is when it was all bunched up... I have not idea why it was not secured completely with a glue type of adhesive..

I have been asked what did I do, nothing push the button to extend and then push the same button to retract... The CDX/plywood is not damaged and has not been exposed to any weather...

Of course my extended warranty already stated this fabric is not covered, but the motor, cables etc are, when I asked them why since the fabric is required so it goes in and out smoothly...

I have an appointment with a good RV Shop in Carson City on Tuesday,,, who knows...

I cannot figure out how they change this material....

Lord knows I've had more experience with darco than I would ever have dreamed. Looking at those pics, and you can probably verify, it appears those pulled out edges are pretty straight; not torn out from under the transition strip. In looking at it I'm wondering if they just cut the darco short or ?? Looks like those ends that should roll up around the end edges, go under that transition strip and then on top just stopped short. Would that appear to be correct? If so, someone just took a short route and didn't do it properly.

If the wood is not damaged at least you have something to start with. For complete darco replacement (I would never "replace" or go back with it) the slide would need to be removed as Chuck mentioned. On your dime that can/will be very expensive and you end right back up with the same junk. If it were me I would just replace the entire bottom covering with a solid material like many other manufacturers use. In fact, it's an owner doable thing if you are handy and have some tools. It WILL be quite a bit of work but save you lots of money....or you can have the new material placed by a dealer. Mine was about 30 hrs. labor and cost of materials - not cheap at a dealership.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Whit66

Thank you, I am confused why Keystone would use this Darco material in my opinion it is junk... I am taking it to a good RV service department on Tuesday hopefully I will get some good news..... Thank you again
Old 10-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I am wishing you luck. When you hear back from the repair shop let us know. I'm not thinking it will be good news but $$. Hope not but if it is post back, we can hopefully find a way to fix it.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Whit66

Thank you, I am sure my wallet will be much thinner.... I sent the photos to Keystone they are evaluating it now... Whatever happens I will give an update... I have no idea the common man would be able to remove that slide at home, it is the slide with the stove, frig, and TV... It is about 12' ft long... Thanks again
Old 10-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit66 View Post
Thank you, I am sure my wallet will be much thinner.... I sent the photos to Keystone they are evaluating it now... Whatever happens I will give an update... I have no idea the common man would be able to remove that slide at home, it is the slide with the stove, frig, and TV... It is about 12' ft long... Thanks again
You're in luck (well not really)...

There's a member who posted his experiences, complete with lots of photos of just how "the common man" removed the slide from his trailer to replace a damaged floor. Here's the link to one "common man's approach" to the "how I did it".... https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...removing+slide

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, damage, slide