Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
AshleyQC

Sanitizing freshwater tank

We have cougar 26rbi we stay full time in. We are hooked to city water and have only filled fresh water tank once then drained it. With hurricanes coming our way I want to fill freshwater for emergency. I figured we would need to sanitize tank but wasn’t sure how to go about it. Any help appreciated.
AshleyQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Safe water

A 60 gallon tank needs 1/4 cup of plain-not scented or anti foaming or non splashing-bleach to be safe. If you have had an empty tank all along you could put a half cup of the above type in and fill the tank and then drain it and put in the 1/4 cup of bleach and then fill it. For other size tanks there are charts online to make sure you have a safe mix. With the proper mix it is fine for drinking.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
AshleyQC

Thank you, now this might be a stupid question but how do I get the bleach into the tank? Lol
AshleyQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Canonman

Just happen to be sanitizing our tanks for an upcoming trip. Previous advice is sound with one exception. Leaving the bleach water in the tank for use. While it will not harm you at those dilution levels, you will taste it. I drain and rinse the tank after leaving the bleach solution in the tank for 24 hours to sanitize. Usually two fill and rinse cycles is enough. Then I refill the tank using an inline water filter.
Hope you can stay safe with the upcoming storm. Best of luck to you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL5166.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	29361  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyQC View Post
Thank you, now this might be a stupid question but how do I get the bleach into the tank? Lol
I use an empty water bottle. No muss no fuss. You could also use a funnel but water bottles are pretty easy to come by.

Our Cougar has a separate fresh water gravity fill. If your TT fills from the city water input you can use the tank overflow by removing the screen and pur the bleach in there.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Another way to get the bleach in is to put it in the far end of the hose and then connect to the supply and fill it. Some newer units have tank and city water on one input so the nice big gravity fill is gone and that is when the hose method works but make sure to put the bleach in first to get a thorough mix. If you are used to chlorinated camp/city water you will not taste the chlorine and after a couple of days it will evaporate out of the tank.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #7
skids

This is what I do:

Sanitize: 1/4 cup Clorox per 15 gallons. (Not the color smart) Therefore use almost 3/4 cup for complete 43 g system. Set for At least 4 hours,
drain flush, refill.
Purify: 1 tsp per 10 gallons. Use almost 4.5 tsp Clorox for 43g.

I always rinse the FW tank, the lines, and the hotwater tank before and after sanitizing. I know that many do not like clorox in the water heater tank, but I Do not have an anode type and have never had any problems doing that. If you ever had stinky water from the hot tank you would understand! Once sanitized, I usually don’t “purify” if I use the water in the fresh tank straight away after the rinse.

I use well water, so I purify with clorox thereafter.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Now here's how I do (did) it...

Up until this trailer we always had the gravity fill inlet. I used bleach in the above quantities with a funnel for the bleach. I always wore a nice bright Tshirt and some new jeans. My method for pouring bleach into a long straight funnel directed into the vertical side of the trailer was inefficient at best so I invariably had some "spillage". I determined I was unable to prevent that so began wearing the above garments in anticipation of it. At the end of the day I accomplished 2 things; I had a sanitized and filled fresh water tank and another set of tie dyed clothes to add to my psychedelic 60s/70s collection.

Although the above did happen a couple of times the remarks were made primarily in jest but to emphasize that the bleach can and will stain your clothes if not paying attention so be careful....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water