Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #21
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherdewi View Post
Trailer is in for repairs, the dealership said the cable form the antenna didn’t work, so they replaced it. They claim it works now but time will tell as the trailer is wintering with themsince our seasonal campground is closed form the Winter.
We could never once get a channel, it wasn’t an intermittent issue
I find this interesting.. in your original post you said the BLUE LED light on the KeyTV box was not lit.. If so then there is absolutely NO way that replacing or repairing the coax to the antenna has fixed the issue..

Id have to ask them what exactly did they do to get the KeyTV module to power up???

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:31 PM   #22
R. Arnold

I ran new wiring myself to get power to the Key TV box today! Now when I connect the black coaxial cable to the Key TV box the power light goes out???
R. Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:38 PM   #23
R. Arnold

Key TV Multi source box

OK, ran new wiring to get power to the Key TV box and got power. Now my issue is when I connect the black antenna coaxial cable to the Key TV box the power light goes out when tightened. The other coaxial cables have no effect to power blue light. Do I have a bad coaxial cable to the antenna? I recently replaced the TV antenna, the original antenna went bad and I replaced it. Also when I scan for OTA channels I only get 4 channels. I have also purchased a new Key TV box and it does the same thing???
Old 11-08-2023, 06:11 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

You may have a shorted out coax. Undo it at both the KeyTv box and the antenna. Then use an ohm meter set to continuity. One tip on the center wire and the other on the connector itself. If you have continuity, replace the ends and try again.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #25
LHaven

My guess is that there's a short in the coax cable.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:53 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Arnold View Post
I ran new wiring myself to get power to the Key TV box today! Now when I connect the black coaxial cable to the Key TV box the power light goes out???
Where did you connect the power from?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:20 PM   #27
R. Arnold

I will have to try that, it is suppose to rain Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'll have to get it checked Thursday or Friday. Is it hard to run another coaxial cable from the antenna down to the tv box?? My neighbor said to connect the ends together with a connection that screws the ends together and pull it through. I just remembered that I did change the end connector at the antenna when I installed the new antenna, because the old connector would not screw onto the antenna. it looks like Keystone placed a bent connector at the antenna connection.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:31 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

You need to verify that the coax from the antenna to the KeyTv isn’t shorted out first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:43 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

A VOM is your friend. The symptoms sounds like the shield and the center conductor are shorted somewhere. Short of the cable being crushed, cut etc. it is likely where the connectors are. Set it to ohms and read between the shield and center conductor on the cable shutting down the power, it should read infinity.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:47 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You may have a shorted out coax. Undo it at both the KeyTv box and the antenna. Then use an ohm meter set to continuity. One tip on the center wire and the other on the connector itself. If you have continuity, replace the ends and try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
A VOM is your friend. The symptoms sounds like the shield and the center conductor are shorted somewhere. Short of the cable being crushed, cut etc. it is likely where the connectors are. Set it to ohms and read between the shield and center conductor on the cable shutting down the power, it should read infinity.
That’s what I said earlier, and IIRC that’s what I merged into this thread.

You and I both know it only takes a single “wisker” from the shield to short it out…BTDT.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That’s what I said earlier, and IIRC that’s what I merged into this thread.

You and I both know it only takes a single “wisker” from the shield to short it out…BTDT.
I know. Figured I would reiterate since it's been mentioned a few times now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote