Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Papa22

2020 292BH Gray tank valve

We are camping in our 2020 Passport 292BH. I believe the gray and black tank valves are labeled backwards. Can someone that has one confirm which one, front or back valve is the gray tank valve?
Papa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You could just drain the tanks, run 5 gals. of water into one, pull the handles and see which one it comes out of???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Bill-2020

Our Passport 239ML wasn't labeled at all (and both handles were black). Turned out the black tank valve was to the rear/right of the sewer connection (where the black tank is directly below the commode) and the gray was to the left of the sewer outlet.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa22 View Post
We are camping in our 2020 Passport 292BH. I believe the gray and black tank valves are labeled backwards. Can someone that has one confirm which one, front or back valve is the gray tank valve?
I have e a 2020 Laredo 311BH. both handles are exactly the same (a pet peeve). Grey is on left, and black handle is one on right....for my 2020 rig.

Agree with others, a clear 90 degree attachment should let you visually see which is which upon emptying.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
Sarge2

My 2020 Passport 2600BH is also the same... grey water on the left and black water on the right... both are labeled on the side of the TT but ironically the labels are no where near where the valve handles are... lol...
Guess Close was good enough...
Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Seems like the consensus is gray to the left. Now that at I say that, someone will tell me otherwise on their unit... therefore my CYA statement is this, “Open valves after connecting to a sewer source and I take no responsibility as to what comes out of which valve!” Fair enough?
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Sarge2

I'd say that's the way to know for sure... If tanks are empty now, put water into sink shower and whatever else is on that gray tank and let er fly....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
Papa22

Are labels are backwards. To tough a task for someone.
Papa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #9
uechikid

Ours were backwards too.
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:33 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

This is NOT a post "in defense of the Keystone assembly line workers" (stastically, there's 2 valves and they get it right 50% of the time) but rather a post to explain why they are "often wrong"....

Typically, a trailer frame is pulled into the factory "upside down" and the belly is assembled. That means the tanks, wiring, insulation, axles, tires/wheels are all installed. The VALVES are installed on the tanks and the Bowden cables are routed to the top (which is on the bottom at this point). After completion, the coroplast is installed and the frame is "turned right side up" with the Bowden cables (for the tank valves) visible. Next the floor is put on the frame, screwed into place and "those two Bowden cables" are routed "together, through a little hole in the floor".... It's only after the inside walls are secured and the convenience center is installed that someone crawls into the space to put the Bowden cables in place on the convenience center wall or on the frame rail. So, what they're installing is "done in the blind" because the valves and cables are "hidden inside that little hole and not visible to the worker.

Should Keystone, in all these years, figured out a process to mark each Bowden cable ??? Heck yes, but it's "engineering, manufacturing, line chief responsibility, not "Jacob who drove his buggy to the plant at 4AM" who's responsible for making that change. Don't put all the blame on the workers, they screw up enough by themselves without being responsible for what "management hasn't resolved"... A simple piece of tape, applied to the black tank valve would assure it's always placed in the black tank hole in the convenience center, but so far, management, not the workers, have not authorized using that piece of tape.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
uechikid

And folks, that’s Made In America!
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
SpotALoony

Reversed labels here too

We purchased a 2019 Passport 197RB last year and the labels were reversed. I removed the labels and painted the gray tank handle gray.
SpotALoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #13
LadyFaire

I've been trying to figure it out on mine, as well. Just sanitized the fresh water tank, and flushed the rest of the winterizing out of the system. When I got ready to drain, I couldn't figure which valve was which. Looked underneath and I THINK the black water tank is in the rear, which would be the rear valve as well. The surprising part was that the pipe to the valve on one tank is narrower than the other. I would have thought they'd use the wider diameter pipe for the black water, but what do I know?

I am going to try the suggestion above and see which valve drains when ONLY the grey water tank has water in it. Then, I will PAINT the flippin' handle on the BLACK valve.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
LadyFaire

OK, using the 'only put water in ONE tank' method, I find that the rear valve (smaller diameter pipe) is indeed, the GREY water valve. So, I just need to mark the BLACK water valve to remind myself. Funny how that information is nowhere in the owner's manual....

Thank you to everyone for helping me figure this out. I have so MUCH to learn about my 'new' camper.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
JayTees

One More Bass Ackwards Label Install

2020 Passport 197RB with labels installed backwards. Right now I'm just 'remembering' it. Have to address it sometime.

John
JayTees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
I've been trying to figure it out on mine, as well. Just sanitized the fresh water tank, and flushed the rest of the winterizing out of the system. When I got ready to drain, I couldn't figure which valve was which. Looked underneath and I THINK the black water tank is in the rear, which would be the rear valve as well. The surprising part was that the pipe to the valve on one tank is narrower than the other. I would have thought they'd use the wider diameter pipe for the black water, but what do I know?

I am going to try the suggestion above and see which valve drains when ONLY the grey water tank has water in it. Then, I will PAINT the flippin' handle on the BLACK valve.
It’s common to use a 3” drain and pipe for the black tank, allowing the solids to flow. Gray is commonly 1 1/2” as it’s usually just liquid draining. I have seen 3” used for both but I have yet to see 1 1/2” used for the black tank drain.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #17
LadyFaire

That was how I thought, too. Looking up from underneath, the fresh tank is easy to identify - the grey and black? Not so much. As it turns out, the larger pipe IS the blackwater. Glad that is all cleared up on mine.

Tags
tank