Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2019, 02:57 AM   #61
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
This is not idiotic design, but have seen that in other areas of the TT. While replacing my brake assemblies after a 6k trip, it was discovered that the shackles, bushings and equalizers were very near failure. Lucky us, but I planned to change all out after returning to our home base. Replaced all with Dexter Heavy Duty, and Dexter 4400# brake assemblies (yes 4400#). Before anyone says we have overloaded the TT, it has been on the scales fully loaded for 5 and 6 week trips which are 4 to 6K trips. TT is a 2017 Bullet.

That happened to me on the road before hitting our first campsite, 10 days in Ohio and $1200 later. I won't even put grease in my bearings through the bearing buddy. Uncle was a GMC mechanic for years and says they're garbage.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #62
Preyou

For what we pay, this is ridiculous!!! I agree if everyone starts complaining loudly, improvements might be made. I would imagine that the factory warranty costs are extremely high. Buy a share of Thor stock and let them know your feelings.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #63
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsr View Post
The supports for the table top conversion to a bed were stapled in, and one of the supports gave way, causing the table top to fall... you would think that for supports that the table top rests on when using it as a bed, would be better served using screws and a good glue.

We had the same happen in our previous trailer from another manufacturer. It was the wood molding around the table top that let go, dumping my 84-year-old mother. It too was only stapled and glued, and the collapse tore some of the formica off the table top as well.

On my current trailer, one of the first things I did was to get some ABS pipe and make alternative posts for the table at the right height for when it is in bed position. They both slide inside one of the stock aluminum legs, so it's very convenient.

I have still learned not to put anybody on it heavier than a kid.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #64
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
For what we pay, this is ridiculous!!! I agree if everyone starts complaining loudly, improvements might be made. I would imagine that the factory warranty costs are extremely high. Buy a share of Thor stock and let them know your feelings.
For the typical 4 to 5 trips per year family, I think these coaches are designed to hold up (somewhat) just enough to make it through a few seasons without major failures. Unfortunately, for many of us RVers, we expect more out of (and do more with) our trailers than the typical family. Strenuous cross country trips, rough washboard BLM roads, oppressive heat and sun in the south, freeze and thaw cycles in the north. This is reality and these conditions are what causes issues to show up quickly. Unfortunately, quality control is practically non-existent in the plants. And that's not about to change. Profitizing is priority number 1 as the economy continues to be robust.

My crystal ball is a bit blurry now but I wish I could see how the processes (and RV industry as a whole) change when the next big correction happens. Most obviously, the buyers won't be there. The used market will be flooded with the tired coaches as unemployment rises. Will it be a future of plant consolidations, closures, and shutterings? And after the dust settles, does the industry rebuild into something better for those patiently waiting?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #65
skids

I wish that the trailer on the assembly line could be moved out of reach of the staple gun when screws should be installed. (I know it is not that simple). First line supervisors should do their jobs with diligence and care.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #66
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I wish that the trailer on the assembly line could be moved out of reach of the staple gun when screws should be installed. (I know it is not that simple). First line supervisors should do their jobs with diligence and care.
I concur. My interior ceiling panels, trim moulding, and roof decking do too!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #67
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Sorry I think they are too busy coordinating when the combines will be on their land.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #68
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Since it's all about number of units finished dictates quitting time, speed is king. Quality be dam....darned.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #69
Rber1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsr View Post
We took our Pastor and his Wife up to the Upper Peninsula last year in our 2018 Bullet Premier. We had a great time, but did have one major problem with the RV.
The supports for the table top conversion to a bed were stapled in, and one of the supports gave way, causing the table top to fall. Luckily we had a piece of plywood that fit under the support, after we re-attached it to the cabinet wall, and rested against the floor, so no more problem with the "bed",
After coming home, the Wife and I used screws in all three supports , which work a hell of a lot better than staples.
I understand their use of staples, which are faster for attaching, but you would think that for supports that the table top rests on when using it as a bed, would be better served using screws and a good glue.
All in all, we are happy with our RV so far.
I have same trailer as you and I wondered about all the weight put on the tabletop when used as a bed. I went to local hardware store and bought some PVC pipe. I cut the pipe to fit where support tubes for table go when the table is lowered unto bed. Tabletop now supported in the middle and keeps top from flexing in middle and possibly cracking
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #70
WJQ

I HOPE THE BEST MINDS IN THE FORUM SEE THIS APPEAL. Wire routing through the cap. Please go to my thread on installing a solar system with an inverter in a 2018 Cougar. Thanks.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #71
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
I have same trailer as you and I wondered about all the weight put on the tabletop when used as a bed. I went to local hardware store and bought some PVC pipe. I cut the pipe to fit where support tubes for table go when the table is lowered unto bed. Tabletop now supported in the middle and keeps top from flexing in middle and possibly cracking
This was a superior idea. When I read it, I immediately went out and found some ABS piping of the right size to just fit inside the metal table leg tubes (they didn't have PVC in that size). Cut it to the proper length to support the center of the table in the down position, and both pieces store inside one of the table legs. It's a bit touchy to set up from under the lowered table (the little guy knows it's his special job), but it works fine. Now I don't have to worry about my grandson stressing the middle of the table, or loading the seat brackets enough to make them fail (which actually happened to us in a previous rig when we had a small adult using that "bed"). So, thank you for the great idea.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #72
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
I HOPE THE BEST MINDS IN THE FORUM SEE THIS APPEAL. Wire routing through the cap. Please go to my thread on installing a solar system with an inverter in a 2018 Cougar. Thanks.
Maybe you could include a link to the referenced posting. I found what I believe is your thread, but could not find an issue with routing wires through the cap. Then I had my robot search the entire thread for the word cap, and still did not find this issue.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #73
WJQ

THANKS. I am just learning how to use this forum. Here is the link -- I hope.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...085#post410085
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
Just a "note of clarification"....

No member of this forum (regardless of "best or worst minds") has any influence with Keystone RV company. They are not associated with the forum and in the time I've been a member, I've never seen anyone from the factory comment in any thread. Further, since being a moderator and an administrator on the forum, I've never seen anyone with an IP associated with Keystone and no IP locations have been reduced to Goshen, IN...

So, It's highly unlikely that anyone from Keystone (regardless of their mental capacity) will see your posts on this forum. If you want to assure that "great minds at Keystone" see your work, you might contact Keystone Customer Service and inquire as to who in the Design or Engineering departments would be a good contact to discuss or to send your comments.

Posting here will "help other members to avoid your problems and to improve on your designs" but Keystone won't be among those reading your comments.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #75
BrooksFam

As a former engineering manager at a high end motor coach company, a lot of this makes me chuckle. When I came out of the high tech engineering field to take this position, I was amazed at the willy-nilly approach to this industry, and to be honest, there aren't engineers designing the living spaces of a TT or MH because as noted, they get paid about $15/hour. Draftsmen do the majority of the design work. Most of the folks on the production line are trained on the job and a high percentage didn't speak or read English, let alone blue prints.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:20 AM   #76
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
As a former engineering manager at a high end motor coach company, a lot of this makes me chuckle. When I came out of the high tech engineering field to take this position, I was amazed at the willy-nilly approach to this industry, and to be honest, there aren't engineers designing the living spaces of a TT or MH because as noted, they get paid about $15/hour. Draftsmen do the majority of the design work. Most of the folks on the production line are trained on the job and a high percentage didn't speak or read English, let alone blue prints.
It's the same in the restaurant/retail world. The designers use their crayolas to "make it pretty". Then it goes to an architectural firm to have the MEPs (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) and if necessary structural drawings done to make the design work and meet the governing codes.

The designers job it to make it appealing to the customer, period.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:11 AM   #77
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
This is not idiotic design, but have seen that in other areas of the TT. While replacing my brake assemblies after a 6k trip, it was discovered that the shackles, bushings and equalizers were very near failure. Lucky us, but I planned to change all out after returning to our home base. Replaced all with Dexter Heavy Duty, and Dexter 4400# brake assemblies (yes 4400#). Before anyone says we have overloaded the TT, it has been on the scales fully loaded for 5 and 6 week trips which are 4 to 6K trips. TT is a 2017 Bullet.

That right there is scary.

As soon as I got my Cougar home from the dealer on day one, I replaced the stock suspension parts with the Dexter EZ Flex kit with shackles, bushings, and wet bolts. I also added three Mor Ryde frame braces that connect the leaf spring brackets to each other. By the first weekend, it had the Trailer King tires replaced with Goodyear Endurance tires. I wanted to address some of the weaknesses before its first outing.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller
Tow vehicle: 2018 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.2 gas 4x4
MXRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:16 AM   #78
WDPatterson

Thor is owned by Berkshire Hathaway... Do you know who owns the most stock in Berkshire Hathaway??
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:34 AM   #79
E Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMustang View Post
I can't help but wonder what kind of moronic engineers they have working at KeystoneRV. We have had nothing but problems with our only THREE YEAR OLD Bullet 248RKS, and most of what we're experiencing is because of piss-poor design. It's pretty common-sense stuff. For example, don't place water tanks directly over a cross-beam that you screw the underbelly into. It results in holes in the water tank when the self-tapping screws are inserted. And who in their right mind would design kitchen under-cabinet storage shelves with cheap staples upwards so as to not be able to store anything whatsoever ON the shelves without the cheap, thin luan bowing and caving in. (See photo.)

Dear Keystone: If you ever read these forums, I'm not an engineer, but I am a HELL of a lot smarter than the morons you have working for you. If you ever need some design tips, please feel free to contact me. We will NEVER purchase a garbage product from your company again.

Cheers!

"Running on MT"
I agree with you. As a job interviewer, I would screen and make sure to hire qualified people that know what they're doing. I've done several changes on my Alpine where the factory didn't make sense
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200402_143252.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	33381   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200402_152542.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	33382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_130127.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	33383   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_121141.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	33384   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_165958.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	33385  

E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 AM   #80
E Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
And yet...we buy them any way as fast as they make them. Why? Because a bad day camping is better than the best day working.
Amen to that.....

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote