Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Pakito

Generator Inverter Size

Hello every one, I am a first time fifth wheel purchaser and am loving every minute of it. I just had some questions regarding Generator Inverters.

I have the 2019 Avalanche 375RD which has the big fridge, 2 A/C units, TV, etc...

1. What size generator do I need to run everything? I was told at the dealership I need 6000 watts...

2. So I was looking at the WEN 5638i which is 3800 watt starting and 3400 watt running. Is that sufficient for my trailer or do I need to purchase 2 with and use a parallel kit?

3. Anyone have reviews on the WEN generator?

4. What about Champion Generator Inverters?
Pakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

Depends on what you want to run? Everything? (Both AC at once)
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:58 AM   #3
Frank G

Is your Avalanche set up for a generator install? Are you going to permanently mount the generator in the generator compartment? If so your options are limited, Cummins Onan is one brand that comes to mind. Generators of the size you require are quite heavy. If you are going to carry them in the back of the truck than there are a whole world of options from the expensive Honda to the Predator at Harbor Freight. Even on this forum the Predator is getting good reviews. Remember, if you have 6000 wats of generator and are living like you are plugged in, you will consume large amounts of fuel in a 24 hour cycle. And yes you need 6000 wats to run everything.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #4
cookinwitdiesel

A 30A service would need running 3600W. Also keep in mind, pretty much any 30A trailer with an AC AND a Microwave can be overloaded and throw the breaker. A 50A (and 240V) service can use up to 12000W total. That is a MASSIVE portable (and RV) generator and not practical to be moving around as you camp/travel. So you will have to make a compromise on what you use in the trailer while on generator and get one that makes sense.

As noted, you need to figure out what size makes sense for your needs - look at the big items (battery converter, fridge, each AC unit, furnace) and figure out what their power draws and what your likely needs will be. Pro-tip, you won't need furnace and AC at same time so keep that in mind when doing your math.

Something else to explore if you want to do off-the-grid camping: buying a bank of high quality deep-cycle batteries and an inverter and a transfer switch. You can use the batteries and inverter to power the trailer and only run the generator for a few hours a day to charge the batteries back up.

I got this generator for my trailer (only a 30 Amp) and have been very happy with it so far. It is an inverter generator but open frame so slightly louder than other inverters. Due to this though, it is very low cost for the output that you get. It is about 100 pounds, so hoistable into a truck and back down if you are spry (and maybe at the younger end of the spectrum - I am only 31).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3R711N/
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
MarkEHansen

As mentioned before, you need to realize you won't have enough power from the generator to run everything just as though you were on shore power. You will need to keep the power draw down below the limits of the generator. I think the biggest draw items are the AC units and the microwave(s). With a reasonably-sized generator, you would not be able to run both ACs at the same time, or even run the microwave while the AC is running.

If you're willing to live with the above limitations, the choice of generator gets a lot simpler (and cheaper).
Old 03-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Tbos

I bought a Westinghouse IGen 4500. It has 3700 running watts and 4500 peak. It’s quiet and runs one AC or the heat pump and just about everything else. If we had the easy start kits installed it would probably run both ACs at the same time. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	21141
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter