Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
P&DZ

General Maintenance?

Hi All,
I am a relatively new member to the forum having joined last December after we sold our 2017 Rockwood A-Frame Hard Side and purchased a 2012 used Cougar 21RBSWE from a private seller. I have learned allot from reading the posts on this forum but this is my first request for help.

We have not had the opportunity as of yet to use the TT and are preparing for the upcoming camping season. I can live with, and given the age of the TT, expect failures of "inconvenience" systems like heating, refrig, water heater, etc. I will repair or replace these items on failure. What I am concerned with is insuring the overall safety and the structural integrity of the TT.

I have scheduled inspection and repair with a local independent service shop with a good reputation for the brakes, wheel bearings and axles. I will re-coat the roof lap seals as soon as Colorado weather permits. The tires were replaced and upgraded (ST225/75R15) by the prior owner in 2017 and appear to be in good condition.

Question: Are there any other maintenance items I should consider to insure the safety and structural integrity of the TT?

We do nearly all of our camping in the Colorado and Utah mountains, towing over both interstate highways (I70) and rural roadways.

Apologies for the rather long post!
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Tbos

Sounds like you have a good plan. Get on that roof as soon as you can to make sure it’s sealed well. Enjoy your new to you rig.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

You had not mentioned if the previous owner had been using the TT or was it sitting for a long while. This could alter alter your inspection process. Looks like you have covered some of the major structural items. Good Luck
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
P&DZ

Thanks for your responses,

The previous owner did use the TT through the 2018 summer and early fall season, how often I do not know. However I have had the TT in outside storage since picking it up last December.

The prior owner was very helpful during the purchase process and seemed very forthcoming. Cosmetically, both inside and out, the TT is in very good condition. He insisted on repairing a few minor items before we took ownership. He also stated the lap seal had been done every spring since he bought the TT new.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You can do a good visual to look for anything out of the ordinary: loose wires hanging, parts/material loose or drooping etc. The roof should be your #1 concern - either check it and all the sealant or have someone do it - it probably needs to be resealed as well, #2 new tires or not look at the manufacture date to assure they aren't/haven't aged out, #3 not knowing what's what with the wheels, brakes etc. have them pull the bearings/seals and replace them - inspect the spindles for wear/damage, #4 have the brake drums/shoes inspected (replace if necessary) and adjusted when reinstalled, #5 inspect/replace the batteries - check fluid level and for any bulging; what is the condition? Do they look new or covered in gunk? #6 plug it in and fill the propane and turn on. Check all the appliances, AC, water heater and furnace - you may well have some issues there. Make sure you run both AC and DC components.

The mountains in CO and UT (love them) can pose some unique problems depending on where and when you go. Shake her down one item at a time to assure everything works (especially running gear) and you should be fine. Sounds like a lot but not really. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
GHen

Not a major-structural type issue, but I clean the bottom of the awning about every 3-4 months if I use it or not. I use a weak bleach solution to kill the mold that develops pretty quickly. The mold will stain pretty quickly if you don’t stay on top of it.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #7
notanlines

"He also stated the lap seal had been done every spring since he bought the TT new."
An odd statement in that I can't for the life of me figure out what someone would put on a roof joint every year for 7 years.
I might also ask what brand tire you have and what is the build date. The date should be on the sidewall and looks like this: 2616 meaning the date is the 26th week of 2016.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
P&DZ

Thanks,
Great input and I have added all to my "To Do" list.

I do not recall the exact brand of tire but will check brand and date when I next visit the storage yard.

I have contacted Keystone tech support and confirmed the roofing material is EDPM. I also watched the Dicor "how to" videos so think I am prepared to do the lap seal. Regarding notanlines comment, I was under the impression you should lap seal the roof every year. Am I wrong in this understanding? Also does it matter if I clean and re-coat the entire roof before I touch up the lap seal or the other way around?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Thanks,
Great input and I have added all to my "To Do" list.

I do not recall the exact brand of tire but will check brand and date when I next visit the storage yard.

I have contacted Keystone tech support and confirmed the roofing material is EDPM. I also watched the Dicor "how to" videos so think I am prepared to do the lap seal. Regarding notanlines comment, I was under the impression you should lap seal the roof every year. Am I wrong in this understanding? Also does it matter if I clean and re-coat the entire roof before I touch up the lap seal or the other way around?
All good questions and there's lots of ways to "skin the cat" in roofcare. Some work, some often work, some do more harm than good....

When learning about roofcare, it's always best to go "straight to the horse's mouth" to get the manufacturer's recommendations.

DICOR is the primary manufacturer of EPDM roofing membrane material used in the RV industry. They have a simple, easy to understand and follow "roofcare guide" written for the average RV owner. You can download it here: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/

Take a look at the DICOR guide and see if most of your questions and concerns are answered. I think you'll find it a valuable resource.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
P&DZ

Thanks Again,

Keystone tech support sent me a Dicor manual as well but it was not as comprehensive as the one I just downloaded on JRTJH's advice.

Keystone tech support also indicated the EPDM was a Dicor material. So I am "assuming" that Dicor cleaning, sealing and lap seal products are safe to use on my roof.

Tags
general, maintenance