Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We will do "test fits" and our driver brings the unit to your house. We have had a few "test tows" with bumper pulls and we have provided the WD without the sway if they are that serious. Sales person in the vehicle was mandatory. Cant say I've seen a fiver leave with a customer for any kind of "test" or weigh in.
I think that's pretty cool. I've seen lots of folks at dealerships that would really benefit from those kinds of opportunities.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #22
5J's

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum from SE Texas. Congrats you've now passed the first test of new members, you've kept a heated conversation very civil. The weight issue comes up quite often, maybe daily, so as you can imagine most folks are skeptical of the intent of the person asking the questions, most are looking for validation. Most members of this site want to be helpful and have safety in the fore front so, forgive us if we seem harsh. We want to keep your family and ours safe. Good luck finding what you're looking for. And, again welcome.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #23
Tooth Ferry

Ram has a site where you can enter your VIN and get weight ratings for your specific truck. My 2013 2500 crew cab short bed pin wt rating is 2997 lbs and tow rating 17,800 lbs. Sorry I don't have the site name but I saw it a few weeks ago on a site, maybe the Cummings one.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #24
Blackrock

Looking at the floor plan on this trailer I can see where that bunkhouse could add to the extra pin weight. It looks a lot like my 265srl with the bunkhouse added into the middle.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #25
PaulRod

75 Mike Maybe something that would satisfy your curiosity would be to ask the RV dealer to just let you hook up to a 5er with the same "hitch weight". This would let you see in real time what "attitude" of your TV is with that much weight. Be sure to measure the "SAG" amount. Check the angle of the headlights too. Be sure to inflate rear tires to max load rate. Also I'm not familiar with how Dodge does it but Ford has 2 or 3 optional payloads per model range. Go to a spring shop and see what they can do to maintain stock ride height without compromising comfort. (Our oil co used to do the service trucks to make them level)
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #26
Frank G

It's a slow Sunday afternoon so I thought I would share a few thoughts. 75 Mike, no two trailers with comparable equipment weigh the same coming off the line. We have a 2017 Laredo and have spent about 460 nights in it and towed it about 5,000 miles. It is a good unit and holding up well. I would ditch the ultra light /light line of units. weight savings come at the expense of structure and better /larger amenities. Your unit has 15" tires they should be 16". The full size Laredo, designed for Life Size Living, comes with the 18cu ft refrigerator, 16.5 gal hot water heater, 16" tires, framed in window openings, stronger frame and larger TV's. I would add the second AC from the factory. I would not get all worked up over published pin weights they are what they are. Loading and extras like washer and dryer, generator, extra batteries, and solar panels will greatly add to the normal pin weights and frankly IMHO the Laredo is not well suited for those options. The outside kitchen is a real hit, we use it all the time and the DW lost count on the beer's

There is nothing like making decisions, choose wisely.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #27
BobMcC

Me too...

I had a 2016 RAM 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7 - towing cap was 17,150. I thought that's all I really needed to worry about. I came on this forum and posted a picture of the TV and our new 2018 Carbon 357 toy hauler. I wasn't asking for the "tow police" to comment, but thankfully someone did. After that, I pulled in my horns (pun intended) and watched and listened here for a time. Yes, we pulled overloaded with that 2500 last year, from Georgia to Cali and back. It pulled like a dream, that 2500 didn't even breathe hard. But, I kept thinking and figuring that whole time. I knew we were overloaded. Finally, I made the decision a month ago to buy a 2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4. I did it for peace of mind - and, for the concern that, if we were in the least little accident, my insurance company may actually get out a calculator and deny our claim. Yes, I definitely want my family to be safe and not wiped out financially due to my bad decisions. Even though we lost money on trading vehicles, I sleep much easier now. Thanks for letting me know even though I wasn't ready to hear it.
BobMcC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, laredo