Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Window Awning

I see many class A motor homes with retractable window awnings.

We have a 5th wheel with a couple big windows. When facing the sun they allow lots of heat. I can put up some foil, but I was thinking one of those awnings would allow us to enjoy the view while blocking the heat.
I don't remember seeing any of these on a 5th wheel or tt. Has anyone installed one of these on a tt or 5th wheel? Thanks
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

They have lost popularity in the past 20 years or so. About the only trailer that comes with them as an option is Airstream, although you can buy them for almost any trailer and they do offer some shade on larger windows. We have fiberglass "solar screen" cut to fit the larger windows and attach it with Velcro on sunny days when we need to reduce solar gain in the trailer. For us it was much cheaper and not nearly as much upkeep. Carefree of Colorado and Dometic both offer "spring loaded, pull down window awnings" to match most of their patio awning color schemes. Cost, about as much as a slide cover of the same length.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:44 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

I looked at these issues for my Cougar 5ver and decided to put window tint on out windows. Cuts our 80 percent of the UV light and greatly helps with heating. The trailer is a bit darker during the day but allows us to camp in triple digit temps. This tint has a sticky side that is activated by soapy water. You just cut it roughly to the size of the window and then wet the window with soapy water. You put the film on and squeegee it to get the air out and use a razor knife around the edges. It is actually pretty easy to do. A roll big enough to do all the windows in our trailer two times over was less than $50. No velcro, no taking on/off and it works.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
Alpine

I too went the solar screen rout for about 3 years and they worked just fine. However 2 months ago we had installed a retractable awning and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53410186_299831304023906_7055854724355981312_n.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	20581   Click image for larger version

Name:	53347578_2494100454200770_7900143787492507648_n.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	20582  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
fjr vfr

Thanks for the replies.

I've seen many motor homes with "solar screens" for the windshields. They are usually attached with snaps.

I've been thinking about them. Where is the cheapest place to buy these?

JRTJH, did you cut them yourself? And did you have problems attaching the velcro to the trailer? I would think the backing would peel off often?

I have used window tint in the past on other applications. This trailer has tinted windows. I'm thinking window tint added might make it too dark?

Thanks again
Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

John,

I bought a 48" wide roll of fiberglass solar screen from Home Depot. If you have taller windows, they do sell 60" and 72" solar screen rolls. About 5 years ago, I paid (IIRC) about $20 for 15'. I bought a roll of industrial Velcro 1" wide self adhesive tape. I cleaned the trailer window frame exterior with alcohol, cut 3" strips of Velcro and applied them to the window frame top corners and center. Once that sat for a day for the adhesive to work and bond, I put a piece of the soft Velcro on the corner of the solar screen, "eyeballed the right curve to cut out" and attached one corner. then moved to the center, attached the Velcro and moved to the other corner and cut that curve, attached the Velcro and cut the rest off the roll. I cut all of them about 2" wider than the window, partly because I wasn't sure if they would shrink any and mainly so I had some "fudge factor" if I cut something crooked or too small. Luckily I didn't have to redo any of them.

Once the top was secure and the sides trimmed, I put 3 Velcro strips on the lower horizontal window frame and attached the solar screen.

I've had to replace 2 or 3 Velcro strips over the 5 years they've been in use and we've never had one blow off while in use. We do remove them for towing and don't install them if it's not hot/sunny outside. So we haven't used them "every trip we take" but I'd say we use them at least 50% of the time.

Total cost, when I did the mod was about $50 to do all the "off side windows" and the rear galley window. I did not do the windows that are under the patio awning or the "upstairs bedroom ones. They would be too high to easily put them on or take them off. So far I haven't regretted the mod.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
fjr vfr

Thanks JRTJH, That is good info and I really like fixes that are cost effective, (cheap)
One question, It reads like you trimmed the fabric? Did you have any issues with the fabric fraying on the edges?
One note, my windows open out at the bottom so I would most likely cut it short to allow or maybe just let some dangle some at the bottom.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

No problems with any fraying. The fiberglass solar screen is just "thicker fiberglass window screen fabric" it won't fray when cut, just cut between the lines/rows of openings so it looks neat when you're finished.

I agree with you, with "bottom opening windows" I'd attach the bottom Velcro along the sides of the window frame so the windows will still open without any issues.... All of our large windows are "slide open" type, so we didn't have that to consider.

ADDED: I just thought about a bit of clarification. There is some "knitted solar fabric" in the garden section that people use as tarps or as covers for green houses, etc.... That is NOT the solar window screen that comes in rolls in the window section of Home Depot. What I used is essentially a replacement window screen fiberglass fabric that's on a roll in various widths in the window screen repair parts section. It is not really a "fabric" but is a "fiberglass window screen replacement"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #9
fjr vfr

Thanks again. I now have instructions for my next project.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

This link is "like what I used" but is quite a bit more expensive than what I bought. I think mine was 48" x 15' and was about $20. Given inflation, it would probably be $25-30 now.... Anyway, here's the link to the stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-4...-100550251-_-N
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blacks-phifer-rolls-of-screen-3021117-64_1000.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	20591  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
fjr vfr

I also found it in Lowes, 48"x7' for $16.64 and in stock. The Home Depots around me don't have anything in stock.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #12
spicercars

I would love to put some window awnings on two of our big windows but they are not cheap. Might have to try the window tint.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
travelin texans

If you'll notice the pictures above of the window awnings you'll notice that about the only view once installed is straight down which is why we chose not to add them, yes they do a great job of shade though.
We had a couple come to our last 5er & custom made solar screens for all of the windows that snapped on, they even allowed for the bottom opening windows to still be covered, truly custom fit. Installed in the same amount of time as the Velcro setup would. If I recall in '09 the 5-6 windows cost less than $300, about 1/2 of one large window awning.
Look at the Shade Pro website, they now have widow awnings that have the solar screen rather than fabric so may be the best of both, shade & view.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
bobjwadejr

I have a 2018 cougar 32RLI travel trailer with 3 side outs my question is the slide out on the right side kitchen- living room slide out has a full awning on it I ask my dealer I’d I could install a slide topper on it one service manager said yes and the other said no can any body tell me the right answer
bobjwadejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #15
fjr vfr

Here is a couple pictures of the solar screen I made today from the screen I bought at Lowes for $16.64. Attached with industrial velcro.
It was very simple, but the one problem I have is the velcro comes undone from the screen. I put velcro on both sides hoping they would stick to each other through the screen but that didn't help much.
My plan now is to have my wife sew the velcro into the screen. I'm very optimistic this will solve the problem with it not staying stuck. I'll have her sew it with velco on both sides so I can put it up either way.
BTW, the velcro on the frame seems to hold well. Hope these picture work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	20877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0600.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	20878  
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

That's "sort of" the same thing I did and much the same way I did it. We didn't have any problems with the Velcro adhering to the screen. Sewing the Velcro in place seems like a good fix for that issue.

Looks good, have you used them yet? If so, are you satisfied with the amount of sun and heat they block?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #17
fjr vfr

Haven't got to really use it due to the non sticking velcro. I'll report back once we get them sewed.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjwadejr View Post
I have a 2018 cougar 32RLI travel trailer with 3 side outs my question is the slide out on the right side kitchen- living room slide out has a full awning on it I ask my dealer I’d I could install a slide topper on it one service manager said yes and the other said no can any body tell me the right answer

My Alpine has an awning on the LR slide too. My dealer was able to install a slide awning with no issues. The biggest issue is clearance between the awning and the slide cover. Have the dealer show how they’d install it and ask if they would warranty their install.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #19
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
My Alpine has an awning on the LR slide too. My dealer was able to install a slide awning with no issues. The biggest issue is clearance between the awning and the slide cover. Have the dealer show how they’d install it and ask if they would warranty their install.
The service writer at my dealer said it could not be done as I have slide toppers. If ever back at the dealer I'll get an opinion from the body shop. Not sure hoe they would run wiring so I guess manual will work for me. There are 2 large windows on the LR street side one awning would cover.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #20
fjr vfr

Update on my solar window screen mod. It works very well.
Thanks to JRTJH for the idea.

Sewing the velcro to the screen did the trick and it sticks very well. Today we had howling winds. Things blowing all over the rv park and no hint of the screen coming loose...very happy about that.
Anyway it's not as effective as reflective foil, but works well at reducing heat. And we can see through it! You can't see through foil.
Well worth the $24 or so I spent.

Tags
awning